View Single Post
Old 20th June 2016, 20:54   #2
MikeJohn
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

I too have been trying to pin down steering vibration, and replaced all engine mounts, front subframe bushes, fitted a steering damper (standard on Mk1 I think but not fitted to facelift cars) and the damn thing still vibrates.

At one point I had front wishbone bushes done by a local garage, ( That was before I ]got brave and dropped the entire subframe!) and they suggested fitting polybush bushes. That seemed sensible so I went for it. I am now wondering if the polybushes are actually part of the cause. When I had the subframe off to change failed subframe bushes removing the wishbone bushes was simple.

I am now tempted to replace the polybushes with originals to see if that fixes it. When moving it is fine, but the vibration at idle is annoying.

Working out the exact sequence of what was replaced in what order and hence eliminating possible causes is actually not that easy!

At one point I had a subframe bush stuffed full of "rubber" from an evo stik tube called "extreme repair sealant" and that was definitely better than the failed bush. However the replacement bushes did not actually help much. I am wondering if all subframe bushes are the same. Last time I checked Rimmers had diesel subframes ( I assume with bushes pre-installed) Cost was not horrendous especially bearing in mind the time to get the old ones out.

Mike

Last edited by MikeJohn; 20th June 2016 at 20:59..
MikeJohn is offline   Reply With Quote