Thread: V6 won't start
View Single Post
Old 12th October 2021, 11:19   #1
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

Default V6 won't start

Not having much luck with this new ZT lads. I parked her up a couple of weeks ago and as I switched her off I got an engine disabled light on the dash. When I came back out I found coolant on the drive and on closer inspection could see the thermostat was leaking. I've changed that and am now having to deal with the original problem.

I asked the wife to start it whilst I kept an eye on the new coolant - she said it was just clicking. So I jumped in and did it myself - fired up no problem. Switched off and tried again - nothing. The battery is only a few months old and I had it charging in the house whilst it was out of the car for keyhole thermostat change.

I've got two flip keys and an empty original key. I had no idea there were issues with these flip keys and not sure if they're related to the problem. However, I changed the battery in in the main one I was using, removed the battery negative, reconnected and I was able to lock / unlock the doors which I hadn't previously been able to. Now when I turn the key I get all lights on the dash, but when I try to turn the engine over there's a click somewhere and the lights all go out. If I try again there's no lights on the dash. If I remove the battery negative and reconnect I get lights on the dash again but same thing - try to turn the engine over and it dies.

The plenums are clear. Any ideas lads? I can hook up later to TOAF if it will read with just ignition on

Cheers

Last edited by BillyMG; 12th October 2021 at 11:22..
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote