Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th June 2024, 22:14   #11
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Thanks for confirming that Ian. So it's back to the filter then.

You may have read T-Cut's posts on the subject. He advises against unscrewing the housing since there is a seal between the two parts which he says is easily distorted. Perhaps that's what the RAC did.

Simon
Old 8th June 2024, 22:18   #12
ianM
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5L V6 Saloon; Rover 214i

Yeah, that's what I'm assuming has happened (probably the o-ring at the top). So we need to get it apart to fix the problem. But try as we might, we simply cannot get the fuel filter housing apart. It will not budge when trying to unscrew it.

Are there any instructions anywhere for how to get filter out of the car, so we can get it on a workbench where we might be able to get a better grip on it? I have all the bits needed to basically do a renovation on the filter and all its rings to see if we can fix the problem, but we've rather fallen at the first hurdle by not being able to get it apart!
ianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2024, 18:14   #13
ianM
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5L V6 Saloon; Rover 214i

Wanted to post an update after a productive Sunday!

We bought some new rubber strap tools to try and give us a bit more leverage, and it worked! We got the fuel filter to pieces, and discovered that (as we expected) the o-ring at the top was split in two, hence the lack of fuel pressure. We fitted the new bits following T-Cut's guide, and put it back together.

Started the engine and it fired first time, no cutting out, no backfiring, running smooth as anything. Engine light went out - job's a good 'un!

The only issue we have is that we now can't get the fuel filter to go quite back together in order to fit the fabeled orange (or in our case white) clip. It's almost there - we are perhaps 2mm out - but it can't quite fit in.

Putting all of our strength on it seems to be getting us nowhere - I'm quite amazed at how stiff this fuel filter seems to be. Even having put WD40 everywhere when trying to get it back together, we still cannot get it to line up enough. I'm at a loss as to what could be causing it, but it's another job for another week now...
ianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2024, 19:11   #14
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

That's great news Ian, well done!

As for the difficulty reassembling the filter casing, this is why T-Cut urges people not to separate it. In your case, you had no choice thanks to the RAC!

As you say, the answer is to leave it for now, pour a glass of wine or a beer and come back to it at the next opportunity. You'll probably have more success then. The clip does need to be fitted to prevent future breakdowns.

Simon