Notices

Old 27th May 2024, 14:31   #11
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
What a faff.

Withholding road tax en - mass to pay for damage repairs would be a darn sight more effective and more likely to see pronto improvements,I'd say.
Who is going to be brave enough to be the one to withstand the formal action the authority do take i.e. court action for non-payment and/or vehicle siezure. Also your vehicle insurance may be invalidated.
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2024, 15:02   #12
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Who is going to be brave enough to be the one to withstand the formal action the authority do take i.e. court action for non-payment and/or vehicle siezure. Also your vehicle insurance may be invalidated.
Kev
Them courts gonna be busy dealing with 40M motorists. There are those who would start these things off but what use is that if you don't get the support and and up being procecuted as a voice in the wilderness. Look at the time the lorry drivers caused a go slow on the motorway over fuel duty. We would have all benefited,but all it did was enrage car drivers cos it made them 10 mins late.We are not known as Rip Off Britain for nothing.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2024, 10:28   #13
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
enrage car drivers cos it made them 10 mins late.We are not known as Rip Off Britain for nothing.
Quite, The duty/requirement to keep life as simple as possible and not putting one's head above the parapet for the sniper (authorities actions) to take us out tends to make us insular. The best method for fuel prices is for everyone (who do not have a fuel account) to choose a company (say, Esso) to use for a month and let the rest have zero sales. Should be lot easier to organise now with to-day's contact methods. The USA motorists managed to do this in the Sixties without Faceache etc.
Kev
Old 28th May 2024, 10:53   #14
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Quote:
Quite, The duty/requirement to keep life as simple as possible and not putting one's head above the parapet for the sniper (authorities actions) to take us out tends to make us insular. The best method for fuel prices is for everyone (who do not have a fuel account) to choose a company (say, Esso) to use for a month and let the rest have zero sales. Should be lot easier to organise now with to-day's contact methods. The USA motorists managed to do this in the Sixties without Faceache etc.
Kev
My point is that we do not have the solidarity as a group (Motorists) to make any of these things happen,and the authorities know it and are more than happy to keep pulling out pants down..As mentioned earlier,we would only need to take direct action once to address all sorts of over charging for poor service and conditions.I've been driving long enough to know this is never going to happen- hence my view we get what deserve.

Old 29th May 2024, 13:28   #15
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
My point is that we do not have the solidarity as a group (Motorists) to make any of these things happen, and the authorities know it and are more than happy to keep pulling out pants down. As mentioned earlier, we would only need to take direct action once to address all sorts of over charging for poor service and conditions. I've been driving long enough to know this is never going to happen- hence my view we get what deserve.
Hence my "quite." Solidarity? You only have to see the figures of the numbers signing various petitions on motoring matters. You only have to see the manifesto of ALL the political parties to see that they do not consider motorists as having any sway.

Of course, someone or group, could prove us wrong.

Kev
Old 29th May 2024, 14:01   #16
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Always joked that if I won the Lottery, I would set up a Motorists Party - no politics of course! Still waiting for the win!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2024, 18:16   #17
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
You only have to see the manifesto of ALL the political parties to see that they do not consider motorists as having any sway.
Kev
That's been my point all along,and why the cash cow motorist is held in contempt.Direct action ie withholding payment in sufficient numbers for excessive charging and poor services would surely get their attention.Petitions? What a waste of time.Yet another maximum council tax rise in this area, but hardly a grass verge being cut,they are 3-4 feet high in places and apart from being a danger as you can't see what is coming they look unsightly.The roads more resembling a lunar surface than a bowling green but yet another hike in road fund duty in April.Motorists complaining about the price at the pumps,with the government in agreement blaming garages for profiteering,when they themselves are the real villain's with their tax grab.Yes I can see why we are not taken seriously......

Old 30th May 2024, 14:04   #18
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Fuel costs? Think deeper, and ever-so slightly critical, as to eventual costs for the masses and the consequential limitation of independent mobility for the great unwashed.

The unspoken threats of a forced move to EV’s by a gradual reduction and limitation of liquid fuel are a signal of what is to come. Couple that with the option, nay the need, for domestic and/or garage re-charging. This wonderful idea hasn’t yet been rumbled. To pay for it, and already taken care of, a card will be essential. In advance.

Electricity charging, as is the case now, will be provided by state controlled generation via domestic metering (read smart meters and the coercive pressure to convert to them). Has there ever, ever, been any public consultation for this? Oh, of course, it’s ‘market-led’. Yeah, right! More sceptic than septic.