Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th May 2024, 19:17   #1
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Default Auxiliary belt failure

Hi,
Well the front end of my 75 (diesel) must of got a bit jealous of the attention I've been giving to the rear suspension earlier this week by snapping the auxiliary belt today.It couldn't of happened at a worse time.I work in Welshpool and it let go just as I started the car and put the Aircon on, to come home.With no power steering and the battery warning light on i thought better of it ,to not drive the 16 miles home.As it was getting on a bit in time and the prospect of being stranded miles from home I nursed the car to nearest garage which was about 500 metres away.I was surprised that by chance they had a belt for it and offered to do the job there and then.It was now 5 o'clock so I walked back to work for a drink and gave them half an hour to tackle it.
When I returned though they were still battling to get it fitted.The wheel off and the wing liner partially removed.He couldn't get a decent purchase on the 24mm bolt on the tensioner to get the belt on.The gap between the inner wing and the tensioner bolt is really tight to get a spanner in.As time was marching on he said he will do it tomorrow by taking off the engine mount in order to either drop or raise the engine to gain better access.
Just what you need on a hot Thursday afternoon after doing a hard day's work and the prospect of walking 16 miles home.
The strange thing though is that whilst coming to work this morning I heard a strange noise coming from the drivers side wheel area.It sounded like I was driving over loose chippings and didn't understand why it was just from that one wheel.It only lasted for about 50 metres along the road.I can now safely say it was the belt failing.

Last edited by johnnyb44; 9th May 2024 at 19:21.. Reason: ..
johnnyb44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2024, 00:35   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

The garage would find it a lot easier and quicker to grins down the 24mm ring spanner which will then fit onto the nut, stick in a wedge to stop it from popping off and belt will be on in about 10 minutes.

Aviation spanner also works good.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2024, 05:26   #3
johnnyb44

Rover 75

I must admit my patience are starting to run thin with this car of late.Its been a relatively quiet 12 month's of having no issues,then they all seem to all come at once.
Thanks for the advice and pictures Arctic.
Hopefully it will all be sorted by this afternoon

Last edited by johnnyb44; 10th May 2024 at 05:29.. Reason: .
johnnyb44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2024, 06:31   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

They obviously haven't done one of these belts before. I don't touch the front wheel or inner wing lining - just release the tension from underneath, thread the new belt on with a thin metal bar bent at one end from above and then re tension from underneath. The under tray is off anyway when doing a service.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2024, 12:55   #5
johnnyb44

Rover 75

They managed to get the new belt back on yesterday morning.
One thing I immediately noticed on driving the car home was how much lighter the power steering was.
I can only assume the belt has been slipping for a while without me noticing it through the months.
Touch wood the car will give me some peace and quiet now for a few months whilst my bank balance recovers from open wallet surgery,,🤣
Old 11th May 2024, 21:34   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi John. Glad you managed to get it fixed. My mate and I change ours together, and have a spanner already ground down. We use a wooden wedge to stop the spanner coming off. Never have any problems doing it. We join two of the plastic ties together, and you can use this to pull the adjuster forward and tie it to a part of the body while we get the belt off and replace it.

Last edited by bl52krz; 11th May 2024 at 21:37..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2024, 00:36   #7
johnnyb44

Rover 75

The mechanic said he could of done with a spare of hands.He said while he was working underneath getting the belt on,it would slip off the pulley on top.All good fun 🤔