Notices

Old 13th May 2024, 14:21   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
Thanks for your help and insight with this,,I am sure you are correct.This field is in a prominent location by a busy main road so I would have thought others would have taken action if there were anything amiss.No doubt other horse owners have passed by and noticed it as it is a rural area.I just wish I knew for certain that it could see out.
everyone else thought the same.

Here is a story about about 4 people, Somebody, Nobody, Anybody and Everybody.

There was a job that needed doing

Anybody could have done the job
Everybody thought Somebody would do it.
In the end, Nobody did it

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2024, 15:28   #12
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Mick,

The hood has been discussed but not the presence of a coat in yesterday's hot summer temperatures. Isn't that an indicator that the horse isn't receiving the care it deserves?

You asked about a horse society. A quick Google search produced the British Horse Society which says:
"If you have personally seen a horse that you are concerned about, please contact the Welfare team. All reports are fully confidential."

Gandhi said: "You must be the change you wish to see in the world".

Simon
Hi Simon

thanks for the link,I'll get in touch with them and see what they say.Ghandi was right about leaving things to other people,everyone thinks someone else will do something.The coat looks fairly lightweight but it was wearing it again in yesterdays sunshine.

Pete reassured me to a large degree but it would nice to know for sure it can see through the hood.I didn't like the way it kept shaking it's head when eating grass either.

Last edited by VVC-Geeza; 13th May 2024 at 15:56.. Reason: More to add.
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2024, 15:31   #13
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
everyone else thought the same.

Here is a story about about 4 people, Somebody, Nobody, Anybody and Everybody.

There was a job that needed doing

Anybody could have done the job
Everybody thought Somebody would do it.
In the end, Nobody did it

macafee2
Very true Ian.

Old 13th May 2024, 16:28   #14
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Hi Simon

thanks for the link,I'll get in touch with them and see what they say.Ghandi was right about leaving things to other people,everyone thinks someone else will do something.The coat looks fairly lightweight but it was wearing it again in yesterdays sunshine.

Pete reassured me to a large degree but it would nice to know for sure it can see through the hood.I didn't like the way it kept shaking it's head when eating grass either.

If you genuinely think the animal is being mistreated then by all means go ahead and report it however bear in mind horses that are in work will often be rugged up all year as they will likely be clipped out. The situation all sounds very normal to me and especially as my daughters competition horses are pandered and spoilt more than most peoples pets and i can guarantee that if i drove over to her fields right now they would all be out with rugs on and several of hers are 25k plus animals.

Rather than concentrating on the fact the horse is wearing a rug look for the condition of its coat and if it appears underweight at all. It is easy to say it looks uncomfortable therefore i must report it but you wouldn't dream of doing so if you saw someone walking a dog with a cone of shame on however much it looked as though it annoyed the animal for instance.

Pics because i felt like it

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT

Last edited by Rogue; 13th May 2024 at 16:40..
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2024, 17:26   #15
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

My ancestors were "horse people" and it seems to be "in me" too, as they always come to me whenever we get near to them. I've had it said that I'm a "whisperer" as even skitty ones seem to calm when I talk to them!

One of the lovelies in County Mayo.
Old 13th May 2024, 19:34   #16
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
If you genuinely think the animal is being mistreated then by all means go ahead and report it however bear in mind horses that are in work will often be rugged up all year as they will likely be clipped out. The situation all sounds very normal to me and especially as my daughters competition horses are pandered and spoilt more than most peoples pets and i can guarantee that if i drove over to her fields right now they would all be out with rugs on and several of hers are 25k plus animals.

Rather than concentrating on the fact the horse is wearing a rug look for the condition of its coat and if it appears underweight at all. It is easy to say it looks uncomfortable therefore i must report it but you wouldn't dream of doing so if you saw someone walking a dog with a cone of shame on however much it looked as though it annoyed the animal for instance.

Pics because i felt like it
Hi Pete,
I don't think for a second the animal is being deliberately mistreated.It looks in very good
condition in fact.My main concern was the hood,which you have educated me about.You obvious have a lot of experience with horses so I respect your knowledge.I'm inclined to let things be as you have reassured me that all sounds normal.The only thing that is niggling me is if the horse can see out of the hood.If it can't,it must be awful standing there for hours on end blindfolded in the heat - or otherwise.Great pic's BTW.

Last edited by VVC-Geeza; 13th May 2024 at 19:40.. Reason: Additional words.
Old 14th May 2024, 05:43   #17
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Hi Pete,
I don't think for a second the animal is being deliberately mistreated.It looks in very good
condition in fact.My main concern was the hood,which you have educated me about.You obvious have a lot of experience with horses so I respect your knowledge.I'm inclined to let things be as you have reassured me that all sounds normal.The only thing that is niggling me is if the horse can see out of the hood.If it can't,it must be awful standing there for hours on end blindfolded in the heat - or otherwise.Great pic's BTW.

Thanks.. However much i am not a fan of the hobby i am immensly proud of my daughters achievements
Have a read of the below link..
https://www.justhorseriders.co.uk/bl...r-horse-owners

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2024, 06:47   #18
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Thanks.. However much i am not a fan of the hobby i am immensly proud of my daughters achievements
Have a read of the below link..
https://www.justhorseriders.co.uk/bl...r-horse-owners
Thank you for the link which was fascinating reading about the different types of fly masks.

By coincidence we have stables as we kept a horse, but further on down the road are stables for the public to use for horse riding. Most of the horses wear fly masks and because we are in the tropics where it’s hot and humid all day, not many wear coats. The horses look well cared for.

We have a nephew aged 25, who goes riding almost daily as it is therapy for his autism. He is unable to speak and often has temper tantrum whereby he becomes violent, lashing out. punching and biting. As soon as he gets on a horse, he immediately calms.

Thank you for the photos, you must be very proud of your daughter’s accomplishments and achievements, thank you for sharing.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2024, 12:51   #19
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Talking

Are you sure it's a horse? That sort of attire is a growing trend where I live with some presumably ... well ... err ... hmmm?

Having said that some who do not follow the trend I think could benefit positively by doing so.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote