Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th December 2023, 23:27   #1
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Default Facelift headlight not adjusting with motor

Merry Christmas to one & all. Not been on for quite a while due to unforeseen circumstances (my lovely new saloon has remained... a lovely new saloon and not given one iota of trouble for the last 6 months!). That is until a couple of weeks ago.

The driver's side headlight doesn't adjust electrically although it sounds as if the motor is in fact operating. Both dip and main beam are fixed at way too low i.e. scraping the ground.

Assuming it's not wiring, what's the drill for checking the motor & adjuster assembly? Thanks.

Dougie.

Last edited by goltho; 25th December 2023 at 23:30..
goltho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2023, 01:05   #2
ceetdm
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Manual Saloon + Rover 75 CDTi Auto Saloon

Hi, have a look at posts 3, 7 and 8 in this link it is very likely you have a chaffed wire.

Tommy :-)
Old 26th December 2023, 09:02   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goltho View Post
Merry Christmas to one & all. Not been on for quite a while due to unforeseen circumstances (my lovely new saloon has remained... a lovely new saloon and not given one iota of trouble for the last 6 months!). That is until a couple of weeks ago.

The driver's side headlight doesn't adjust electrically although it sounds as if the motor is in fact operating. Both dip and main beam are fixed at way too low i.e. scraping the ground.

Assuming it's not wiring, what's the drill for checking the motor & adjuster assembly? Thanks.

Dougie.
HI Dougie.
Merry Christmas to you and your family, check the wiring is not chaffing on the chassis arm drivers side, that can sometimes be the problem, it's bumper off unless you can see if it's trapped under the light from looking at the rear of the light, if it is you would still need to remove the bumper.

Put some protection cover under the wiring after you have repaired the chaffing if it is chaffed.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2023, 13:27   #4
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Mery xmas to yours as well !! If that does not turn out to be the problem then its more than likely to be the swivel socket inside the light unit that has detatched. Once you turn on the light switch module as you may well know , the system does a check. That is , moving the lights inside the unit up and down. They detach if the adjusters are at max and pop out of the "claw". If you can hear the motor then this is probably what has happend. I have re-atached one using a lever from the outside of the light but its not an easy task without opening the unit up. There may be posts on here with some info if you do a search. Had the light feed wiring been damaged then you may well have seen signs in the lamps brightness or flickering . Lets hope its an easy fix. ...

Last edited by xsport; 26th December 2023 at 13:31..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2024, 16:20   #5
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Thanks guys for the replies. I'd forgotten about the chafing wiring issue which I only ever had to check for once before some years ago but which had been done.

The forecast's better towards the end of the week so I'll dust off the woolly hat.

Dougie.
Old 10th February 2024, 12:26   #6
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

So eventually I got around to this after being sidetracked by considering bulb upgrades and the various permutations that are available. Took the bumper off and - voila - found one of the canbus wires to be hanging by a thread which upon moving it, broke completely. So that was an easy repair. I came across a pair of headlights in top condition a few weeks ago for no money so snapped them up as they were in better condition than the existing ones. They're now fitted and all's well again.

I'm now in the process of working through LED/canbus issues whilst experimenting with bulb options. That's on another thread though.

Dougie.