Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th August 2010, 11:55   #1
leitchey

75 saloon

Default put petrol into cdt 75 !!!!

my father has decided to put petrol into his rover 75 cdt and drove for 40 miles the tank was nearly empty when he put £30 of petrol into the car i have cleaned out the fuel tank put in diesel and fuel additave to try help have replaced the fuel filter.The lift pumps are pumping but its not a constant flow it seams to be more of a pulse of fuel, when i tryed to start it it just keeps turning over not even trying to start. I have cracked off the injector pipes but no fuel comming out when turning over where should i go from here?
leitchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 12:28   #2
starbug2
This is my second home

Silver Rover 75 Tourer Club SE CDTI + MGF 1.8 in BRG

a bit of petrol may do not much harm but a lot i fear may do . i'm sure the tec folk here will know and i hope no major harm has been done .....

now with 2020 MG ZS 1Lt TURBO engine with automatic 6 speed gearbox to help keep the 75 and MG F going as long as possible
starbug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 12:49   #3
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

From the AA.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...sfuelling.html

Don't look good I'm afraid

Hope it's not the case though.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 15:29   #4
AURORA MG
Banned

(EX)-ZT-T190SE in Aurora.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
From the AA.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...sfuelling.html

Don't look good I'm afraid

Hope it's not the case though.
That is not good.
AURORA MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 15:46   #5
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

I have done this before and it is a pain but not as bad as putting diesel into a petrol car.

Just syphon out the petrol from the tank and discard, put a number of gallons (3-4) of fresh diesel into the tank via a spare fuel container.

Change the fuel filter, and have a good strong fully charged battery handy.

In these circumstanses I just keep cranking the engine untill it fires up and runs, then hotfoot it to the fuel station and fill her up with Diesel.

Run the car around for a couple of miles to circulate the fuel and all should be ok.

There are additives that can be added to the tank to 'condition' the fuel system after a 'faux pas' but I never needed to use these additives.

In earlier times, lorry drivers would add a gallon of Petrol to their diesel tanks to stop the diesel from waxing up in the cold weather, so it cant be too painfull for the engine if it is not abused too much with petrol.

All the best!!

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 15:50   #6
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

BTW the petrol that I removed from the tank was kept and used in the lawnmower, albeit a bit smoky as it had a trace of diesel in it

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 16:51   #7
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

I did exactley the same, put petrol in ! but before I drove off realised my mistake and filled up to the brim with diesel.

Did not change filters or anything and every time the fuel droped down I topped up with diesel ,had no probs since

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 19:22   #8
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Some engine oil into the diesel will also help restore the lubrication stripped by the petrol. Millers Oils would 100% be recemmended in this situation, along with just about any normal situatiuon.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 19:46   #9
leitchey

75 saloon

well i still have no joy can get it to run for a few seconds on easy start but just dies out after its burnt off tryed to tow start it but again still will not start really think the high pressure pump is scrap as i dont seem to be getting any pressure up to the injectors
leitchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 22:26   #10
The Rover Man
Loves to post

Rover 75 Classic CDT SE

I have come across this a few times, but not on a 75. £30 worth of petrol is probably too much to just top up with diesel and gradually dilute. In the past, I have either removed and drained the tank, syphoned with a very thin pipe(windscreen washer pipe due to mesh at tank inlet) or used the cars own pump to remove as much as possible.

Avoid trying to start the car, as petrol in this concentration could damage the engine.

Get as much out as possible and fill right up with diesel and it will be ok. It will probably be a bit tappy and put out a bit of smoke, but if you drive easy for a while, it'll be fine.
The Rover Man is offline   Reply With Quote