Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th February 2014, 15:24   #1
ardvark
Al

75 CDTI Tourer Auto

Default Doing Me Head In

I know this is a bit off track but my better half wants a carpet cleaner. Me thinks great I can use it on me car.
Now the bit that does me head in.
She is on about a steam carpet cleaner.
I've looked online and there are "steam mops" that claim to clean carpets.
Do any members have any experiance of these mops?
Do they clean carpets or just hard flooring?
From what I can see they shoot steam thu' a cloth and the cloth is rubbed over the carpet at the same time.
The dirt comes off the carpet and onto the cloth.
So as I asked, do any members know about these steam mops?
OR
Have you any suggestions that will stop my head blowing up?
Old 9th February 2014, 15:28   #2
grs6680
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark View Post
I know this is a bit off track but my better half wants a carpet cleaner. Me thinks great I can use it on me car.
From what I can see they shoot steam thu' a cloth and the cloth is rubbed over the carpet at the same time.
OR
im going to try one of these for the carhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141129005040?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2649 for the money and use its going to get, a mop is no good im afraid
grs6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 15:35   #3
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

All I can say is that no-one should ever use a 'steam' cleaner on carpets. What is steam? it's water at/above boiling point!

The VAX is perfect for cleaning carpets (my parent have one), I also have a VAX combined vacuum and carpet cleaner and it also works brilliantly.

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.

Last edited by humphshumphs; 9th February 2014 at 15:35.. Reason: must read before pressing go!
humphshumphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 15:48   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Yep, the Vax is the best (Works superbly on the carpets in a 75 too - has nice little attachments to get in the hadrd to reach places)
Old 9th February 2014, 15:50   #5
eumjmorris
Loves to post

R75 now just two diesel tourers

Think Aldi have the VAX cleaner on offer at the moment?
eumjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 16:16   #6
maintenanceman
Gets stuck in

75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer, MGF vvc, 1963 MGB

Default Steam cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark View Post
OR
I got persuaded (conned) into buying one of these some years ago by the other half. You are right; all it does is heat at a higher temperature and rub onto a flannel cover on the nozzle. Forget all the tv adds on cleaning grouting bath sealer - all it does blow the grout out from between the tiles. Ours (some Italian make) came with a heavy duty clothes iron, window cleaning attachments and a selection of nozzles. Heater tank on wheels with a long flexible hose.

To be fair it is good at having a go at heavy spot stains, gets car carpets clean in the small spaces and removes greasy footprints off the mats. The iron is good on heavily creased denim and the window attachment gets the windows really clean. I've been told they are good on soiled light coloured leather seats with care. I also made an attachment for wall paper border stripping (box with a hole and small vents in it) which worked brilliantly.

Would I buy another one? No probably not at full price. The cleaner gets brought out every few months for some emergency spillage; depending on what's been spilled it can be quite effective compared with aerosol spot carpet cleaner. Not for big areas and also it's just another thing to store.

When we need carpets cleaning we hire a big power one locally for 24 hours and it goes firstly to the parents house then ourselves then the neighbours at about 1am in the morning. Three way hire and big container of detergent is quite cheap this way. Amazing the gunge that comes out of the carpets and we are a strictly 'No shoes' household. If you are looking to do the whole large room frequently then get a Vax wet 'n' dry type machine.

Hope this clears up some confusion. Mind you as soon as the weather clears up for some shorts & T shirt car valeting I'll have it out for the 75T and the MGF mats.

You could always get it for this coming Friday (14th Feb) suitably wrapped as well as the bunch of roses, card, chocolate, bubbly, slap up meal, trip to ..... etc.
maintenanceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 18:55   #7
Stamfordboy
Regular poster

Mg zt+ 120

I bought a George to clean the cars ( Henry hoovers green wet and dry brother), and it's been fantastic. Plus there is a site called 123 cleaning,or something like that, where you can get all sorts of attachments to clean all the awkward places. Would highly recommend it as it's come in handy for all sorts of jobs like clearing air locks and clearing out water from leaky boots etc etc!!
Stamfordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 19:20   #8
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts
Default Steam

The use of these have pros and coins, I would avoid using it on wooden flooring or laminate due to the damage caused under the surface. Blistering warpage and similar problems. As suggested by others, a decent VAX will do great work and work for years to come + it will do your car as well.......
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 19:44   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I bought a bissel heated (not steam) carpet cleaner, for my mother last year, that has a special attachment to use for small areas or cars . I haven't had cancelled to use it myself,but the amount of crud it lifted was shocking and the results stunning.

They were around £250-300. But I found it on amazon for 180delivered as it had been discontinued. I yen for the bissel based on her extensive research. She knows her stuff!

I don't have the model number right now,but will try to find out next time I am there.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 19:45   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

She uses a Henry as a vacuum because it has nearly same mechanicals as commercial vacuum cleaners. I have to say it is extremely good for the car!

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote