Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th April 2018, 15:18   #1
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT190, MG ZS TD, MGF VVC, R200 TD bubble, Austin A35

Default anybody know anything about water well pumps?

Just bought a replacement water pump for the well at home.

Damn thing keeps shutting off though.

Dad took care of all these things around the house, but unless anyone has a Weggy Board, I'm sadly unable to ask him for any advice.

Any advice how this should be wired up?

My brother wired the plug on to it , is it right? (the plug wire is coming into the picture from the right)

Myself, i'm not convinced he's wired it up right.

^Be kind, Subscribe^ (MGR videos )
Mgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2018, 15:40   #2
ratchet
Posted a thing or two

ZT-T + CTDI

Hmm.......... can't help, but it does bring back memories of a similar problem a mate of mine had with his well pump.

We searched ebay for "Well pumps", but had a load of hits on "well worn pumps" - there are some serious weirdo's out there
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2018, 17:25   #3
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT190, MG ZS TD, MGF VVC, R200 TD bubble, Austin A35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
Hmm.......... can't help, but it does bring back memories of a similar problem a mate of mine had with his well pump.

We searched ebay for "Well pumps", but had a load of hits on "well worn pumps" - there are some serious weirdo's out there

I know... doesn't help much when I do a search either.

On the diagram I know the one symbol is for the capacitor that is just out of view on the left of the photo.

I think the mains needs to be wired up to the symbol next to the 'TP' lettering on the diagram? But I am not sure.

We haven't had running water at home for weeks now.. Been having to use a bucket from the well and bring it up manually.
^Be kind, Subscribe^ (MGR videos )
Mgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 10:58   #4
75RogP
Regular poster

MGB Roadster

Hi Gareth

You have a single phase capacitive start mono pump. Your brother appears to have connected it to the correct terminals but usually the live is fed to the capacitor, although I have seen the neutral to the capacitor as well. Mono pumps, although positive displacement are poor at self priming and should be filled with water before starting. If it has been run dry then the stator and/or mechanical seal might be damaged. I would fill the pump with clean water by pouring water into the suction and discharge ports and then run the pump for a couple of seconds (no longer than that).

If water spits from the discharge port then the pump is rotating in the correct direction and should pump unless the stator and/or mechanical seal are damaged. Try filling with water again and see if water runs from the tell tale hole underneath (there should be a small hole under the pump to motor housing. If this is plugged remove the plug first which might be on the flange). If water runs from the tell tale the mechanical seal is damaged and will require replacement. If water is not running from the tell tale replace plug (if fitted) and reconnect to water pipes making sure you prime the pump with fresh water. The pump should work now but it depends on the distance between the pump and water level (suction head height) if this is more than about a metre then the pump will struggle to gain suction after stopping. Air in the suction pipe or pump will stop the pump pumping water instantly. Air can be drawn in through the mechanical seal or suction pipework if in poor condition. A non-return valve in the suction pipe (which should be below the water level) will prevent water running back down into the well and keep the pump primed ready for next use. Does the suction pipe have a non-return valve? Is it in good condition? A check to see if the suction pipework/non-return valve are in good condition is to pour water into the suction pipe (disconnected from pump). If the water flows away then there is a problem with the suction pipe which needs to be fixed first.

If when testing water spits from the suction then the pump is working but rotating in the wrong direction. It may be possible to reconnect within the terminal box. I recommend you get a qualified electrician to do this preferably one with some experience with this type of motor.

If nothing happens then it might be incorrectly connected or seized. To check for seizure disconnect from mains remove the fan cowling and gently try to turn by hand. Mono pumps do not spin freely but should rotate with gentle force (beware the fan blades are very delicate and easily broken). If the pump does not rotate it is seized and will require overhaul. If the pump does rotate replace the fan cowling (making sure the fan is clear of the cowling) and get a qualified electrician to check the connections within the terminal box.

You say the pump keeps shutting off, do you mean tripping on thermal protection (TP) or just stopping pumping? If the TP is operating then it is possible that the centrifugal switch (if fitted) is faulty and the start winding is constantly operating. Does the motor get hot? If so then there is a problem with the motor or connections and you should call in a qualified electrician.

Let us know how you get on, I would be interested how you fixed it.

Cheers

Roger
75RogP is offline   Reply With Quote