Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th June 2024, 13:58   #1
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

Default What to do with the old girl...

Hi all,

I haven't been on the forum here for over two years, in which time my beloved 75 has been in a deep slumber in a relatives garage - half of that she had a dehumidifier running.

I have had cause to move the car recently (due to a full rewire of the house incl garage).

She started up straight away, moved backwards, everything worked great including brakes as I had left the handbrake off and chocked the vehicle.

The question is, what do I do with her now?

I kept the car as it has sentimental value to me, more so than the market value. It's a 1.8 N/A, relatively low spec, nothing particularly interesting about it being in starlight silver.

It had a few advisories at last MOT, mostly corrosion on rear suspension arms, rear subframe and misting of oil on rear shocks. I actually have all brand new spare parts of the car as I had intended on replacing all the advisory items, but as I had recently had a baby, it was too much work for me at the time.

My curiosity is, is there any value in the car in selling it as is, with the parts?
I don't really have the storage space anymore as the garage is needed for other things.

Such a dilemma. I suppose it's impossible to answer for anyone else as sentimental value is difficult to put a price on. She does seem far to good to scrap though.

Hope everyone is well. I see a lot of the same forum names are still around which is great to see!
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2024, 14:06   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigagator View Post
Hi all,

I haven't been on the forum here for over two years, in which time my beloved 75 has been in a deep slumber in a relatives garage - half of that she had a dehumidifier running.

I have had cause to move the car recently (due to a full rewire of the house incl garage).

She started up straight away, moved backwards, everything worked great including brakes as I had left the handbrake off and chocked the vehicle.

The question is, what do I do with her now?

I kept the car as it has sentimental value to me, more so than the market value. It's a 1.8 N/A, relatively low spec, nothing particularly interesting about it being in starlight silver.

It had a few advisories at last MOT, mostly corrosion on rear suspension arms, rear subframe and misting of oil on rear shocks. I actually have all brand new spare parts of the car as I had intended on replacing all the advisory items, but as I had recently had a baby, it was too much work for me at the time.

My curiosity is, is there any value in the car in selling it as is, with the parts?
I don't really have the storage space anymore as the garage is needed for other things.

Such a dilemma. I suppose it's impossible to answer for anyone else as sentimental value is difficult to put a price on. She does seem far to good to scrap though.

Hope everyone is well. I see a lot of the same forum names are still around which is great to see!

If you put it up for sale and it is cheap enough, it will be bought. People would prefer the car to have an MOT and i think it would make the car easier to sell.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2024, 09:11   #3
sean75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6

I've recently resurrected my 75 too after 5 years of inactivity , stored in a similar fashion to yours.

The car has been with me for 21 years and although I have no need to let the car go because of storage issues, what I would say is that lack of use brings about it's own problems, as I have recently found out.

If you think that it's likely that you will not use the car then it may be best to move it on
, however if you can use it and store it in the manner that you want to when not in use then why not hang on to it?

It obvious that the car means a lot to you otherwise you wouldn't have this dilemma, but lack of use won't do it any favours.

Hope that helps

Sean
sean75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2024, 01:38   #4
CDT Player
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

It's certainly worth trying to sell it before scrapping it. It's a 1.8 and many would prefer the 2.5 or the diesel and as you've pointed out it's Starlight Silver so not the most desirable colour, I'm guessing the interior is Ash Grey. If it's an early Longbridge or Cowley car that would create more interest.

Put some photos up and someone might take a fancy to it.

Could you not get whatever work needs done and then MOT and use it yourself.

Corrosion on the rear suspension could just be surface rust some MOT inspectors go over the top with advisories

Cars with sentimental value to the owner are something else so be sure you do want to part with it and won't regret it in the future.
CDT Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2024, 08:44   #5
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Strangely enough, Rover Starlight is the only silver that l actually like.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2024, 13:53   #6
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rovering Member View Post
Strangely enough, Rover Starlight is the only silver that l actually like.

Likewise, Platinum Gold is no. 1 choice here and Starlight Silver no.2. These are classy!

I can never see the attaction of Aubergine with Turmeric interior and Garam Masala carpets type combinations. If I wanted a combination like that I would go for a takeaway or cook a curry!

But each to their own I guess.
Old 9th June 2024, 06:41   #7
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Any of the Personal Line colours go particularly well with Starlight l feel. And l do enjoy my Aubergine/Sandstone interior mix.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote