Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th December 2011, 18:33   #1
xantiaman
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 SALOON 2.0 v6 connoisseur

Default unhappy running v6

hi all
i have a 2.0 v6 on a 02 plate that has a steady misfire when pushed hard.
it can also be felt,albiet less so at idle.the car performs as it should thru all rev ranges but when pushed hard the misfire is very noticable,to the point that when changing up into say third the engine will cough as the clutch is let out and the revs pick up but as i say it will race away like it always has it just doesnt seem happy doing it.
the car was previously owned by what can only be described as an obvious penniless bodger as i have spent the first four months of ownership rectifying many corner cutting repairs.i have changed all the spark plugs as all six where of different makes and degrees of knackerdness and i have cleaned out the tb and while changing the stat i have replaced both inlet gaskets.im not sure if the symptons point to ignition or fuel delivery has anybody any pointers.maybe ht leads/coil packs.thanks
xantiaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 18:40   #2
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantiaman View Post
hi all
i have a 2.0 v6 on a 02 plate that has a steady misfire when pushed hard.
it can also be felt,albiet less so at idle.the car performs as it should thru all rev ranges but when pushed hard the misfire is very noticable,to the point that when changing up into say third the engine will cough as the clutch is let out and the revs pick up but as i say it will race away like it always has it just doesnt seem happy doing it.
the car was previously owned by what can only be described as an obvious penniless bodger as i have spent the first four months of ownership rectifying many corner cutting repairs.i have changed all the spark plugs as all six where of different makes and degrees of knackerdness and i have cleaned out the tb and while changing the stat i have replaced both inlet gaskets.im not sure if the symptons point to ignition or fuel delivery has anybody any pointers.maybe ht leads/coil packs.thanks

could be the coil packs of ht leads .... can also so be an air leak... i would check the coil packs first to see if there ok ..have you got a code reader ... if so it will help you if yit is aa coil pack .. say for instance it says misfire cylinder 4 ,if you swap the coil pack over run engine and reread the car ,it may well have moved the misfire to another cylinder ,so you will know for sure that that coil pack is duff ...
Old 18th December 2011, 18:48   #3
xantiaman
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 SALOON 2.0 v6 connoisseur

i dont have a code reader and i suppose the local stealer will want a fortune to do this,but i may have to swallow my pride and pay one a visit as i cant afford to go on a trial and error stint.incidently there is no eml illuminated on the dash will a code reader still work? what i really need is a stint on a t4 but again dont know anyone with one and again prob couldnt afford it.thanks for your reply.
xantiaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 18:58   #4
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

I got some coils as I bought mine with a misfire and OBDII reader is cheap and i'd go that route if it were me as they are very useful things and you don't have to go mad and get an expensive one. Plus they work on other cars, with the adapter mine has worked on a 97 merc,85 bmw and now a 99 R75 and 97 Jeep cherokee so could save you a bomb in diagnostics.

I bought one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diagnostic...item1c16c14a88

Had it a couple of years now with no issues, won't reset service lights though so I have one of those tools too. For the money i'd say it's got to be the way to go..

Regards
Steve

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
whitevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 19:02   #5
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

If you can't travel to a T4 man, try the search below for a proper MG Rover service centre who will be able to diagnose it properly.
http://www.xpartautoservice.com/defa...ilter=mg_rover
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 19:07   #6
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

With regard to the EML mine wasn't illuminated either but I had 2 coils going bad on mine, bought a complete set off ebay and still have the rest as spares

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
whitevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 19:34   #7
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantiaman View Post
i dont have a code reader and i suppose the local stealer will want a fortune to do this,but i may have to swallow my pride and pay one a visit as i cant afford to go on a trial and error stint.incidently there is no eml illuminated on the dash will a code reader still work? what i really need is a stint on a t4 but again dont know anyone with one and again prob couldnt afford it.thanks for your reply.
it will still work ,if no light then the ecm is just watching it and and is happy with it to a certain extent... you can buy a reader for as little as £18 on ebay .it wont be aq super duper one but it will read the engine mangement codes .....