Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th July 2014, 15:37   #1
sparky543uk

Mg zt 160

Default Zt v6 160 non starter

Hi all. This is the first time I've posted anything on here.

I have a ZT v6 160 2002 and it's not starting. It stalled on me on Wednesday just as I was pulling out of a junction. The way it stalled, it felt like the cambelt had snapped and the engine seemed to spin very quickly. Had car recovered to my home and checked cambelts. 2 of the 3 are still intact. I can't get to the last one as it's not easy access.

I plugged it in to my code reader and it says p0341. I have put on 3 second hand camshaft sensors and still nothing. I have fuel pressure and fuel filter is tight. I also have no spark. I have also checked current to the ecu and fuse 3 is intact.

I love the car but every day that it doesn't start makes it closer to the scrap yard.

If anyone has any ideas I would be great full.
sparky543uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 17:00   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky543uk View Post
... checked cambelts. 2 of the 3 are still intact. I can't get to the last one as it's not easy access.
Hello Mark,

I take it that the two which you checked are the rear belts. If you have a manual gearbox, have you tried pushing it a short distance in 5th. to see if the rear belts move? If they don't, that would confirm that the front one is not connected. Someone else might have a better idea.

Quote:
I plugged it in to my code reader and it says p0341 ... I have put on 3 second hand camshaft sensors and still nothing.
Camshaft sensor: no plausible signal.

Simon
Old 26th July 2014, 20:33   #3
sparky543uk

Mg zt 160

Hi Simon

The cambelts I have checked is the main belt to the left of the engine (driver's side) and the small belt connecting the inlet and exhaust at the front of the engine near the radiator. The belt I can't get to is the one under the inlet manifold/throttle body.

To me, I can't make any sense to it. The engine spins freely but there is no spark. Not sure whether to remove throttle to check the other belt or try another approach and ignore the code and change the crankshaft sensor.
Old 27th July 2014, 08:38   #4
SD1too

Hi Mark; thanks for the information.

First of all, your code reader may be telling lies. I've had mobile-phone based programs telling me that a VIS motor has failed, but T4 says it's o.k. and I can actually hear it being triggered!

Secondly, I'm not sure how you checked the primary cambelt because I was under the impression that it's invisible without major dismantling.

If you're getting proper fuel pressure during cranking then the crankshaft sensor is o.k., but you'll need a gauge to measure it.

Simon
Old 27th July 2014, 23:23   #5
sparky543uk

Mg zt 160

Hi Simon.

I will see if I can get another code reader to check again. I don't have access to the t4 so will be laptop one.

I dismantled the 2 top cam covers over the front and rear camshaft sprockets to get access to the main belt. If the belt had snapped, the engine would have been knackered so turned it over while I could see belt.

I will see if I have a pressure gauge to test the fuel delivery.

May test to see if I get anything from the crank sensor tomorrow night just incase reader is lying.
Old 28th July 2014, 08:14   #6
SD1too

Fuel filter separation appears to be the favourite at the moment. Search for 'FFS' or 'orange clip' noting not to attempt to dismantle the filter.

Simon
Old 28th July 2014, 09:54   #7
sparky543uk

Mg zt 160

I thought that too but I can't move the filter either direction and I can't see a gap in the assembly so unsure. Would that cause no spark from the coils?

Thinking of phoning rac and getting them out under home start as it's not the cambelt as I previously told them.
Old 28th July 2014, 10:36   #8
SD1too

Hi Mark,

How did you determine that there's no spark? You're not relying on a code reader are you?

You can check easily for fuel delivery by releasing the fuel line connector where it rises up from the floorpan. Direct the hose into a container and give the starter a quick pulse. If you get fuel, proceed to check the actual pressure at the schrader valve.

You seem very competent Mark. I wouldn't bother with the RAC/AA if I were you. I've known their diagnoses to be wrong on several occasions.

Simon
Old 28th July 2014, 17:37   #9
sparky543uk

Mg zt 160

Hi Simon.

I checked for a spark the old fashioned way of putting a spark plug in the lead for coil 1.

I have just checked the fuel pressure using a tyre gauge and it's reading about 45psi.

Would the belt slipping a tooth cause this problem?

I thought about rac as they may have a different idea about what is wrong. They may even be able to check fuel filter syndrome.

Thank you for trying to help me. I really appreciate it.
Old 28th July 2014, 22:23   #10
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky543uk View Post
I checked for a spark the old fashioned way of putting a spark plug in the lead for coil 1.
Well no-one can argue with that! We have to work out why you've lost ignition.

Quote:
I have just checked the fuel pressure using a tyre gauge and it's reading about 45psi.
MG Rover's figure is 3.5 bar (57 psi). Did you check that this pressure is maintained during cranking? On the V6, when the ignition is turned on the fuel pump runs for about 3 seconds, triggered by the ECM. When the starter motor is turning the fuel pump is controlled by the presence of a signal from the crankshaft sensor. So it's important to establish what's happening during cranking.

Quote:
Would the belt slipping a tooth cause this problem?
You mean, would it destroy the expected synchronisation between crankshaft and camshaft sensor signals? Maybe. When you inspected the primary belt, what was the tension like? What mileage has the engine covered?

Simon