Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th June 2020, 14:23   #1
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 V6 LPG

Default That was lucky ! V6 fuel leak

Only just started using the Tourer after laying it up during lockdown for couple of months. Got a small whiff of petrol the other day when using it but couldn't see any leaks when I looked. But today whiff got much stronger and as I pulled onto my drive engine started cutting out. Quickly turned engine off and looked underneath to see petrol dripping from cover under the engine. Popped the bonnet,removed top engine cover and found fuel pipe going into front fuel rail of V6 had come loose and almost worked it's way out completely ! Pushed it back into fuel rail but whe I gave it a tug it came free again. Spring loaded clip thing that holds it in place wasn't doing so. So,pushed pipe back in again and carefully bent the tangs on the spring loaded clip thing so they hold pipe in place now. Tried pulling pipe out and it wont budge now. Turned ignition on to charge the fuel rail and no leaks.
Question is - will it be ok to leave it like that now or do you think it might free itself again ?
Would you guys advise replacing the clip and any o-ring involved or leave as is now that it's sealed again ?
Bullnose75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2020, 14:43   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I have had the same issue on a V6, I changed the fuel rail to be on the safe side as I didn’t trust it after it worked loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16th June 2020, 17:59   #3
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I have had the same issue on a V6, I changed the fuel rail to be on the safe side as I didn’t trust it after it worked loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just had another look at it and found I could fit a tiny cable tie inside the housing that holds the spring loaded clip thing and then by pulling the cable tie tight around the clip that will stop it opening up and releasing the fuel pipe.
Will keep an eye on it but there's no way it can come undone now.
Old 17th June 2020, 08:04   #4
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

Under bonnet temperatures can get very high , 150 C is not unknown. I would not risk relying on a cable tie on such a safety critical fixing. I would change the relevant parts as necessary .
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2020, 10:28   #5
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverP480 View Post
Under bonnet temperatures can get very high , 150 C is not unknown. I would not risk relying on a cable tie on such a safety critical fixing. I would change the relevant parts as necessary .
The cable tie is just a belt and braces type thing mate. It's just to fill in the space next to the factory clip spring loaded thing so it physically can't come adrift anymore. I've used a cable tie around something similar in a similar area under bonnet of one of my American V8 engines for about 20 years and never had a problem. I'm guessing if temps under bonnet got hot enough to melt a plastic cable tie a lot of other factory fitted Rover or American V8 plastic parts under there would melt too.