Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th August 2008, 20:56   #1
Allegroboi
Posted a thing or two

2.0 CDTi Tourer Connie SE auto Royal Blue/Dorchester red connie V6 with Aubergine interior

Default 2001 75 1.8 Club SE fast tickover

Hi folks hope that you can help me here.

I was waiting at a junction today and as I went to move off I stalled the car (wrong gear), on re-starting the car the rev counter was reading about 1200 rpm but usually reads about 800. Did not think too much about that then, but each subsequent use of the car today has bought the same problem, I tried blipping the accelerator but this did not lower the revs.

When I approach a junction and change down and put it into first gear the revs are about the 1200 mark, if I have to wait any length of time the revs eventually go back down to 800. It is making changing gear more difficult too from first to second.

Now this is the important bit, I am not technically minded and do not really know one end of the car to the other. I am looking for advice as to what the problem maybe so that I can feel confident in explaining the problem for somebody else to fix, namely a mechanic. I have a trusted guy who does my work, but he will also ask what I think it is. I will not be able to fix this problem myself no matter how simple it may seem to some of you who are more technically minded.

Finally what damage is this causing to the car left unchecked?

Thanks in advance

Ian
Allegroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 21:18   #2
Simon
Banned

-

I'm not one of the 1.8 engine owners but if it's anything like the V6's then it could be something as simple as the throttle cable sticking somewhere - may not even be related to the stalling.

Hopefully one of the 1.8 engine owners will be along shortly to help you out.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 22:04   #3
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

try the throttle position sensor reset - ignition on, press the throttle slowly to the floor and then off again, do this more than six times and then start the car using no throttle. Also check for air leaks on the inlet manifold (any pipes detatched) and as allready said a sticking throttle (although the alloy throttle bodys are generally ok)
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2008, 08:19   #4
Allegroboi
Posted a thing or two

2.0 CDTi Tourer Connie SE auto Royal Blue/Dorchester red connie V6 with Aubergine interior

Thanks for this I will give it a try
Allegroboi is offline   Reply With Quote