Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th January 2015, 12:48   #1
sam2909
Regular poster

2001 Rover 75 Classic SE 2.0 CDT

Default ABS Sensor Change

Other day I got the dreaded ABS Light + Speedo Dead combination so have read enough on this forum to know that its bound to be the drivers front abs sensor packing up!

Going to attempt the job myself at the weekend but want to see if anyone has any tips for doing it as I've read they can be a pig to get out?
Should I put anything on the sensor before trying to pull it out to make it easier. Is there a particular tool thats best to pull it out?

Any help appreciated - Thanks
sam2909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 17:48   #2
bramblp
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT

Use a combination of a flat blade screwdriver and a gripping tool to pull twist back and forth and lever at the same time to gently pry it out, if it breaks mark a drill bit of a slightly smaller diameter with tape to slightly less than the depth of the new sensor and using a battery drill slowly drill the old one up to the depth of the tape, you should be able to prise the remains out.

The constant is everything gently

Last edited by bramblp; 6th January 2015 at 17:59..
bramblp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 18:00   #3
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts
Default ABS sensor change.

Hello, there is a certain amount of gloom and doom on these to remove in one piece !
I have done a few and totally randomly it will go wrong. The best ones to remove are the ones that have been installed cleanly and with a small smear of grease, but this seldomly happens. The access is ok if the sensor comes out ok, but not great if it snapps requiring a drill out job, the nuts and bolts bit is easy as are the connectors which I assume you have checked before going forward with component change. Job time to do is about 10 mins if all goes to plan!
The best way to get things moving is to use a pair of good gas type pliers, close the jaws around the best part of the sensor at the base, and gently turn small increments at a time to and fro, gradually increase the turns and when it feels fairly slack, gently apply a withdrawal motion with the wiggles previously described but gently and slowly.
If it breaks, there many ways and practices, one is to drill out the remains and dig out the bits with picks, or drill a small hole and screw in a large screw that can be tugged and moved about to free the seized item out!
I have only done the drill out process, and will take some time whilst taking care not to damage the hub bearing surfaces. When the surgery has removed the sensor, the mounting surface must be properly clean for the new item to sit accurately in position.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by RogerHeinz57; 6th January 2015 at 18:01.. Reason: typos
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 18:02   #4
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

I just put a wood screw in there and use a claw hammer on it, gets it all out in one lump...
Old 6th January 2015, 18:13   #5
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Before you try any of the above, are you sure there isn't a bad connection in the sensor wire? Trace it to the plug in the engine bay and make sure it's a good fit.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote