Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th February 2024, 15:48   #1
Beast51

MGZT 190+

Thumbs down None starter

I had a sun roof drain hose leak into the drivers side; Water was running from the bonnet and boot lever area. Now the car will not turn over at all although I appear to have power to the starter motor. The AA man stated it maybe an
immoblizer issue- any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Ps I have, since the car was bought home, dryed it out before attempting to start it. Also, I am aware of the drain hose issue and will fix it once the weather gets better.
Beast51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2024, 18:08   #2
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

When I bought my Tourer a while ago now the foot wells were full of water and it took a combination of baling and de-humidification to get rid of water/moisture and open windows to get rid of the smell but still kept on working. Maybe dehumidification will help? Good luck! (The spell check advise "dehuminization" for the humidty bit!)
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2024, 18:34   #3
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Remove and dry out ews module that should sort it
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2024, 02:54   #4
Devilish
This is my second home

75 Tourer

Water running into the drivers footwell seems like it could have caused an immobilizer fault. Because I hate coincidences, and need a bit more than "Seem to have power to the starter motor"

Check the main 12v supply from the battery.

Pull the thin red/white (I think) control wire from the starter motor, connect a multimeter, turn the IGN key to Start, if the control wire reads 12v, it is the starter motor, if 0v check fuses, relays, and fusible links, because something must be open circuit. if the culprit is replaced it will be ok or will blow again straight away, telling you your drying out is not complete.

Next test would be the red/white wire that goes into the immobilizer, and back out of the immobilizer to the starter. Test both red/white wires with the IGN key turned to start, if one wire reads 12v and the other 0v, then it is the immobilizer.

Last edited by Devilish; 27th February 2024 at 03:12..
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2024, 18:36   #5
Beast51

MGZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
Water running into the drivers footwell seems like it could have caused an immobilizer fault. Because I hate coincidences, and need a bit more than "Seem to have power to the starter motor"

Check the main 12v supply from the battery.

Pull the thin red/white (I think) control wire from the starter motor, connect a multimeter, turn the IGN key to Start, if the control wire reads 12v, it is the starter motor, if 0v check fuses, relays, and fusible links, because something must be open circuit. if the culprit is replaced it will be ok or will blow again straight away, telling you your drying out is not complete.

Next test would be the red/white wire that goes into the immobilizer, and back out of the immobilizer to the starter. Test both red/white wires with the IGN key turned to start, if one wire reads 12v and the other 0v, then it is the immobilizer.
Many thanks for the reply Devilish I will check this out when its dry!
Old 27th February 2024, 18:38   #6
Beast51

MGZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
Remove and dry out ews module that should sort it
Thanks for the comment-wish it would stop raining!
Old 27th February 2024, 18:42   #7
Beast51

MGZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHT View Post
When I bought my Tourer a while ago now the foot wells were full of water and it took a combination of baling and de-humidification to get rid of water/moisture and open windows to get rid of the smell but still kept on working. Maybe dehumidification will help? Good luck! (The spell check advise "dehuminization" for the humidty bit!)
Well "dehuminization" is correct according to the wife when I broke down-thanks