Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd August 2012, 15:32   #1
mechnophobe
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default New clutch..dual mass or solid flywheel???

Hi all.

Can anybody give me advice as to when I need a new clutch, should I get dual mass flywheel, or the solid? Also has anyone had any dealings with 'techniclutch' on ebay for this kit??
mechnophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 16:07   #2
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Thre is a previous thread dealing with this very question, general opinion was to stick with OEM dual mass flywheel, am sure a search will find it for you.
Chips
chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 20:06   #3
bramblp
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT

I think the main problem is long term strain to the crank shaft
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:45   #4
tambour
Regular poster

2002 Rover 75 CDT Club & 1999 Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Hi all

This is my first post. I haven't got the time yet to introduce myself but I willl do it soon.

You will all please excuse my english, as My 75 looks like yours in a mirror and drives on the wrong side of roads. (Yes I'm French! Nobody's perfect!)

So don't hesitate to correct me if necessary! It will be welcome.

I reply to this thread, as I've purchased from techniclutch an fitted this kit on my CDT :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-MG-Z...item3cc1087147

But i payed it £299! (there was 2 similar kits on Ebay, one at £299 and the other at £699, so I called them and they told me it was an error, both were the same!
So they sold mine at £299 and then changed the Ebay price after my purchase!

(I wouln't have bought it at 699 as they have a similar kit including a reinforced DMF at £699)

Note : very good and easy comm with TC, even for a french guy, by mail or tel.

I didn't fit the solid flywhell, as my DMF was still in very good conditions when i checked it (145000 Km)
So I prefered keeping the DMF to protect engine and gearbox and keep transmission smooth.

NB : the CSC is not the model shown on the pic / looks idem OEM

My CDT has a digiservice remap + synergy 2 + BCV. I don't know exactly what power and torque I've got, but the original clutch was slipping.
I found plate worned at 50% and plate springs half crushed

The parts of this kit seem exactly the same as OEM ones except the color of the pressure plate (red) , and the friction material of the driven plate.

No pb with it since, the cluth never slips or judder even on high torque or towing. I made 12000 Km since.

An advice : change the sleeve assembly-guide / part UTL 100080

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-UTL100080 ) / £15.64

Mine was totally scratched and the CSC jammed on it and the clutch pedal was very, very hard / Pedal is now as soft as new!

Will post pics soon
tambour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 22:04   #5
kkcat75

75cdt connoisseur saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambour View Post
Hi all

This is my first post. I haven't got the time yet to introduce myself but I willl do it soon.

You will all please excuse my english, as My 75 looks like yours in a mirror and drives on the wrong side of roads. (Yes I'm French! Nobody's perfect!)

So don't hesitate to correct me if necessary! It will be welcome.

I reply to this thread, as I've purchased from techniclutch an fitted this kit on my CDT :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-MG-Z...item3cc1087147

But i payed it £299! (there was 2 similar kits on Ebay, one at £299 and the other at £699, so I called them and they told me it was an error, both were the same!
So they sold mine at £299 and then changed the Ebay price after my purchase!

(I wouln't have bought it at 699 as they have a similar kit including a reinforced DMF at £699)

Note : very good and easy comm with TC, even for a french guy, by mail or tel.

I didn't fit the solid flywhell, as my DMF was still in very good conditions when i checked it (145000 Km)
So I prefered keeping the DMF to protect engine and gearbox and keep transmission smooth.

NB : the CSC is not the model shown on the pic / looks idem OEM

My CDT has a digiservice remap + synergy 2 + BCV. I don't know exactly what power and torque I've got, but the original clutch was slipping.
I found plate worned at 50% and plate springs half crushed

The parts of this kit seem exactly the same as OEM ones except the color of the pressure plate (red) , and the friction material of the driven plate.

No pb with it since, the cluth never slips or judder even on high torque or towing. I made 12000 Km since.

An advice : change the sleeve assembly-guide / part UTL 100080

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-UTL100080 ) / £15.64

Mine was totally scratched and the CSC jammed on it and the clutch pedal was very, very hard / Pedal is now as soft as new!

Will post pics soon
Well done , at long last some positive feedback on a Solid Flywheel. Techniclutch offered me one last March and after toing and froing as well as ignoring my mechanic I avoided the solid and bought the DMF. Is there any vibration on engagement etc. Surely there's some downside. I just want to feel I did the right thing

Last edited by kkcat75; 3rd August 2012 at 22:19..
kkcat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 22:20   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcat75 View Post
Well done , at long last some positive feedback on a Solid Flywheel. Techniclutch offered me one last March and after toing and froing as well as ignoring my mechanic I avoided the solid and bought the DMF. Is there any vibration on engagement etc. Surely there's some downside. I just want to feel I did the right thing
Errr I don't think so - Tambour didn't fit the solid flywheel.

For what it's worth I think you did the right thing.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Noc; 3rd August 2012 at 22:24..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2012, 10:17   #7
tambour
Regular poster

2002 Rover 75 CDT Club & 1999 Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

I did NOT fit the solid flywheel. I bought this kit because I could have the kit for £299. (price error on the bay) In fact, I did not pay the flywheel.

As i said, my DMF was still OK. But if it hadn't had been the case , I think I would not have fitted the solid one.

Fitted behind a good DMF, the original driven plate springs had been half crushed. What would it be if there wasn't the damping action of the DMF? Particularly on tuned engines!

"Crack!!!!shaft"?
tambour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 10:31   #8
kkcat75

75cdt connoisseur saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Errr I don't think so - Tambour didn't fit the solid flywheel.

For what it's worth I think you did the right thing.

Mike
My bad!!!
Only looked at link to clutch kit on ebay.
Should have read to end of post.
kkcat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 11:33   #9
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Definately stick with the DMF !
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 11:57   #10
philou

2 X saloon's

Default from Solid back to DMF , does it need specific clutch plate and cover ?

Hi,
Just wondering if you need to change clutch plate and cover when fitting DMF as my car was converted to Solid flywheel before I bought it but it wasn't working fine. Therefore I converted it back to DMF keeping existing clutch plate and cover but I can't put gears in when engine running (after many bleeding). That's why i'm wondering if I should have fitted specific DMF clutch plate and/ or cover. Could have smthg to do with different thickness between Solid and DMF ? hope I can get the right advise. thank youu.
philou is offline   Reply With Quote