Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th February 2010, 10:56   #1
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts
Default Acronyms and Abbreviations

The following list contains a growing number of expressions used in relation to the Rover 75 and MG ZT range. Their meanings are given but described in brief terms only. There will probably be errors. Please make suggestions for further additions or corrections as indicated below. I will maintain the listing periodically.

Please do not post your suggestions/comments/criticisms to this thread.
Instead, use the 'Abbreviations' thread here:
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=53269

I will update/correct the list as appropriate using info from that thread.
Thanks
TC

Acronyms and Abbreviations

ABS = Anti-lock Braking System (An automated system to minimise wheel skid on braking)
ATC = Automatic Temperature Control (Part of the climate control system (where fitted))
BBUS = Battery Backed Up Sounder (Part of the alarm system)
BCU = Body Control Unit (An ecu managing electronic systems associated with the car itself)
CAN-Bus = Controller Area Network (High speed data link handling engine management, ABS, etc.)
CC = Cruise Control (Maintains constant road speed without driver intervention.)
CDT - Common Rail Diesel Turbocharged
CDTi - Common Rail Diesel Turbocharged intercooled
DOHC = Double Over Head Camshafts (Engine design with separate inlet and exhaust valve camshafts mounted on the cylinder head)
DTJ = Double Thermostat Jeopardy (Specific to 1.8 engines with a PRT after a standard stat is fitted as well)
ECU = Electronic Control Unit/Engine Control Unit (Electronic system that manages the engine and associated systems)
EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation (An emissions control system)
EWS = Elektronische Wegfahr Sperre (The Immobiliser ECU)
FBH = Fuel Burning Heater (Fitted to some early diesels to pre-warm the engine in cold weather)
FFS = Fuel Filter Syndrome (My term for a fuel starvation problem in post-2001 petrol models caused by slackening of the filter module cap)
FIS = Fast Idle Solenoid (Part of the idle speed control system in petrol engines)
FOC = Fabled Orange Clip (My term for the proprietory fixer for FFS)
HGF = Head Gasket Failure (Usually caused by an engine overheat)
IAC = Idle Air Control (System to control idling speed in petrol engines)
IACV = Idle Air Contol Valve (Part of the IAC)
HID = High Intensity Discharge (A high voltage plasma arc type lighting unit. Called 'xenon' lighting in the handbook.
I-Bus = Intelligent Input Bus / Infotainment Bus (Definition uncertain) (See K-Bus. For the 75/ZT I-Bus and K-Bus are synonymous)
ICE = In-Car Entertainment system
IPK = The Instrument Pack (Sometimes referred to as IKE. German: Instrumentenkombination-Elektronik)
K16 = The 16-valve (DOHC) version of MG Rover's K-series engine. Used in the 1.8 and 1.8 Turbo models (erroneously called the K18)
K-Bus = Body data network (From Karosserie, meaning bodywork. Slow speed link handling interior lighting, alarm, central locking, etc.)
KV6 = The 6-cylinder quad camshaft Vee format of the K-series engine. Comes in 2.0 and 2.5 litre capacities.
LCD = Liquid Crystal Display (The electronic system used for the dash screens)
LED = Light Emitting Diode (A lighting system 'bulb' using electroluminescence instead of a filament)
LPG = Liquified Petroleum Gas (The petrol engines can be modified to run on LPG and petrol)
LSM = Lights Switch Module (A box of electronics that sits behind the actual switch panel)
M47R = The designation given by BMW to the 2 litre diesel engine.
MAF = Mass Air Flow (A sensor to detect the quantity of air being drawn into the diesel engine inlet system)
NA (N/A)= Normally Aspirated (The non-turbocharged version of the K16/1.8 engine)
OBC = On Board Computer (Basically part of the OBD system)
OBD = On Board Diagnostics system (Electronic system which monitors all aspects of engine performance and control)
OAT = Organic Acid Technology (The inhibitor system used in the recommended antifreeze. Has a 4-5 year service life)
PCV = Pressure Control Valve/Positive Crankcase Ventilation (A system to control the crankcase pressure in diesel engines)
PPD = Pre-Project Drive (Something pertaining to cars made before MGR's 'Project Drive' cost cutting phase)
SRS = Supplementary Restraint System (Automated, pre-tensioning seat belts).
TC = Traction Control (Automated, independent, front wheel braking to increase tyre traction).
VIS = Variable Intake System (A fueling control system fitted into the inlet manifold of the KV6 engines)

German/BMW Acronyms

A comprehensive list can be found here: http://www.autotechnik-forum.de/acronyme.php

My quick find search term for this page is #ACRO#

Last edited by T-Cut; 29th January 2018 at 17:27.. Reason: Added DTJ
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote