Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Club Classifieds > Traders Shops & Members Spares For-Sale > Members Own Spares For Sale
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 3rd February 2010, 12:00   #1
wiltshire75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 v6 2.5

Default Complete rover 75 2002 v6 2.5 available - every part

Hi Guys

I purchased a rover 75 2.5 v6 2002 with view to getting it up and running again. However sadly the fault with the engine is much more extensive then i originally thought.

essentially the cambelt slipped (due to camshaft failure), which then bent the valves, which then broke the pistons!!

its a shame as the car is otherwise in great condition and has only covered 43,000 miles from new. I also purchased a complete seperate engine as i intended to just replace the camshaft and head with valves etc until i realised the pistons were damaged.

Essentially every single part is available on the whole car and on the spare engine i purchased, please feel free to let me know if i can help fellow forums /75 owners out and if there are any parts youre struggling to get

Please use the PM system to respond or post on this thread.

many thanks

Last edited by GreyGhost; 3rd February 2010 at 17:15.. Reason: Telephone number removed to comply with club rules and for your security
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:57   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello Paul,

I'm very sorry to hear what's happened to your car and understand how unhappy you must be feeling. However, as you were planning to replace the cylinder heads you're clearly a very technically competent person. I just wondered why you're thinking of bailing out now; why not do the pistons as well or fit the spare engine complete?

It's always a shame when another of our cars faces the chop.

Simon.
Old 3rd February 2010, 13:31   #3
wiltshire75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 v6 2.5

hi simon

trust me ive considered this, but to be honest with a full time job and lack of day light at the moment and 2 small children time is of the essence!. i set about doing the head, belts etc today but once i saw id have to swap the whole engine over thats it really.

i dont have the engine lifting gear etc and im strapped for cash so listing spares / parts etc on ebay of the evenings is more convenient as obviously i dont need daylight.

i fully agree its a shame to scrap such a car esp with such low milage, however in this instance my head really must overule my heart!

hopefully i can make other people happy by getting them parts for their cars however

cheers

Paul

ps: and i really couldnt stand spending all that time and then finding out something else is also wrong!
Old 3rd February 2010, 13:38   #4
kully
Loves to post

75 MkI 1.8T Saloon

Hello Paul, where abouts in Wiltshire are you? I'm after the driverside door seal - I can collect depending upon how far from Reading.
Old 3rd February 2010, 13:43   #5
wiltshire75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 v6 2.5

hi there

the car is about 7 miles from J16 of the M4.

if collection not convenient delivery is possible
Old 3rd February 2010, 13:46   #6
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

In most circumstances, to comply with club rules we ask that a price is attached to the for sale post. Obviously not entirely possible when breaking a car therefore I am letting this one stand as is. If there are any particular parts you wish advertise separately please add price or point to your ebay ad.

Best of luck with your sale
Old 3rd February 2010, 14:02   #7
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Why not sell it all, as is, to someone who would put it back together. Realize that you can get more for all the parts than the entire car, but maybe there is someone on here that could take it on for you at a reasonable price for you both
Old 3rd February 2010, 17:34   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Paul,

Just some thoughts on your reply to me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltshire75 View Post
... with a full time job ... and 2 small children time is of the essence!
Understood, but have you thought of the time you're going to spend removing parts, packing them and posting them? What if someone wants a camshaft?

Quote:
I don't have the engine lifting gear...
Hire shop?

Quote:
... and I'm strapped for cash ... I fully agree its a shame to scrap such a car ... with such low mileage, however in this instance my head really must overule my heart!
What about the expense of buying a replacement for the Rover? The pistons and the engine crane are going to be peanuts in comparison. How will you dispose of the bodyshell?

Quote:
... and I really couldn't stand spending all that time and then finding out something else is also wrong!
But that's true of any car isn't it.

How about Roverowner's suggestion? Surely that would save you the most time, money and anguish.

Whatever you do, I hope it works out o.k.

Best wishes,

Simon.
Old 3rd February 2010, 20:40   #9
upstream
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Paul,

Just some thoughts on your reply to me....

Understood, but have you thought of the time you're going to spend removing parts, packing them and posting them? What if someone wants a camshaft?

Hire shop?

What about the expense of buying a replacement for the Rover? The pistons and the engine crane are going to be peanuts in comparison. How will you dispose of the bodyshell?

But that's true of any car isn't it.

How about Roverowner's suggestion? Surely that would save you the most time, money and anguish.

Whatever you do, I hope it works out o.k.

Best wishes,

Simon.
It does sound from all the posts as if this might be an option worth considering and it'll be interesting to find out what the specification is.

Andy.

OUR RATES

$60 per hour.

If you wait - $70 per hour.

If you watch - $80 per hour.

If you help - $90 per hour.
Old 3rd February 2010, 20:55   #10
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Having broken several 75's, my advice is don't.........

You'll sell the popular stuff easily, then there's the endless trips to the post, that's once you've spent time and money packing the stuff.

One of the most valuable parts, is the gearbox, and guess what, you'll need a crane to get it out (see where we are going !!!!)

You'll be left with loads of bits that will sell eventually, so I assume you've got loads of storage room.

There's loads of trim / suspension etc that never ever sells, so you'll need to bin it, or at least store it until the shell is removed.

If you do it at home on the drive, the wife will moan, the children will think it's a new playground, and the neighbours....(well I'd get banned if I tyed what they'll think)

Oh.....and I haven't started about the ebay "customers" you get to deal with.

My advice, hire a hoist for a weekend, get a couple of mates round and drop a new lump in.
Closed Thread