Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th February 2016, 06:21   #1
Si-monogram
Banned

MG ZTT TYPHOON 180, PPD 75 CDTI 160, METRO 1.3 A+, ABARTH TURISMO 595, MG ZS V6, 75 duotone tourer

Default Abbey gts 416 2008 first time buyers

Hi guys and gals. We've decided to buy a caravan and on our budget and layout requirements, the abbey gts 416 gives us the best layout for our needs. However, we are complete virgins to this caravan lark and wanted to know once we've bought the van, apart from servicing, is there anything else we need to keep on top of during ownership? We have a td4 landy to tow it.

Cheers
Si-monogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 10:10   #2
ashleywood.ash
Loves to post

ZT-T

Welcome to caravaning.

Routine maintenance/service. Check tyres are 8ply and these are suppose to be changed every 5-7 years.

Through winter ensure all tanks are empty, I also open cupboards leave taps open and lift cushions to aid air circulation and prevent mould.

Abbey are fibreglass as oppose to aluminium so check for cracks.

Get breakdown cover, the freelander definately needs it😂😂
ashleywood.ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 10:48   #3
Si-monogram
Banned

MG ZTT TYPHOON 180, PPD 75 CDTI 160, METRO 1.3 A+, ABARTH TURISMO 595, MG ZS V6, 75 duotone tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleywood.ash View Post
Welcome to caravaning.

Routine maintenance/service. Check tyres are 8ply and these are suppose to be changed every 5-7 years.

Through winter ensure all tanks are empty, I also open cupboards leave taps open and lift cushions to aid air circulation and prevent mould.

Abbey are fibreglass as oppose to aluminium so check for cracks.

Get breakdown cover, the freelander definately needs it😂😂
Lol, the freelander is a good truck. Been greenlaning in it for a while now and it's always done well. Even towing out the big boys in their defenders!
Old 27th February 2016, 15:04   #4
wmick
Avid contributor

R75 Club Tourer CDT

I've got an Abbey GTS 214 and it does fine for us. It's also light enough to be easily towed by our 75s.
I store it at home and because it's ancient, 1993, and has a few leaks, I park it slightly nose down. No water ingress even during the heavy rain around Christmas.
Also, try to get a hookup so that you can leave your battery on charge all the time, flat batteries freeze and split, not a good experience and expensive to replace.

Mick
wmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 19:13   #5
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleywood.ash View Post
Welcome to caravaning.

This is what I do ,if it's going t stand for a while during the winter,move t back and forward a few times a couple of times during the standing period,helps to stop the tyres getting flat spots,. Another thing I do is once in a while put the heating on for about 10 minutes, all helps to prevent damp ingress.
Old 28th February 2016, 03:56   #6
Si-monogram
Banned

Many thanks for the advise guys. It'll be going into storage on a farm undercover local to me so I can visit whenever to do routine checks etc. In fact, chris65, a member on here lives not 3 miles from me and has a caravan in the same place so I'm sure we can help each other out in terms of keeping an eye on each others vans.

Many thanks.
Old 28th February 2016, 17:46   #7
kc13661
I really should get out more.......

Freelander Td4

Two things, if getting a service use a reputable caravan engineer, Get in touch with the Approved Workshop Scheme for a list of current approved engineers.

Also if standing buy some moisture traps, all caravans suffer a build up of moisture when stood, this is due to condensation in an enclosed space.
something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-X-DEHUMI...sAAOSw-zxWofGp

Growing old is compulsory.... Growing up is Optional
kc13661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 14:29   #8
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

A bit of advice i was given,when emptying tanks run a weak mixture of antifreeze through pipes.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 08:57   #9
Mark060457
Loves to post

MG ZT 180 + 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR190 View Post
Many thanks for the advise guys. It'll be going into storage on a farm undercover local to me so I can visit whenever to do routine checks etc. In fact, chris65, a member on here lives not 3 miles from me and has a caravan in the same place so I'm sure we can help each other out in terms of keeping an eye on each others vans.

Many thanks.
You say you are storing it on a farm ,one little other recommendation is to cover up all the little inlets into the van,we had an experience when ours was in storage of MICE getting into the van and chewed a few things,but have heard from a few other people that they have totally destroyed things,and eaten thru pipes and electrics