Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd December 2012, 16:08   #1
K£150N
Loves to post

Default Premium bumper fitting help... shut lines... clips... FAO: Trebor & Devlish

Well my bottom lip is out, I simply can't get my new bumper to sit/fit correctly!

Many many months have passed by with my then freshly painted bumper sitting in the garage gathering dust and getting knocked and scratched about.

I have tried in vein this morning/afternoon to fit it in place.

A couple of questions... how important are the fir tree clips? I removed them from my old bumper but forgot to attach them to the new one.

How important is the foam that sits on top of the crash beam?

You will see from the following what I mean...

I'm normally quite good at all this DIY but on this occasion I can't quite make it all fit together.

Steve & Rob, the original premium bumper experts... what am I missing?

Is there a possibility in the coming months that I might join up with a nano meet so I could get some fitting help?

Thanks, Rob.
K£150N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:24   #2
1gp
I really should get out more.......

mgzt, 135 cdti , manual , in solar red.also own a mgtf.

you really do need the clips that fit the bumper to the wing..also get the bumper fitting to the wing (with clip ) then line up the 10mm screw that fits in the wheel arch, adjust and tighten to suit.
1gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 18:29   #3
Devilish
This is my second home

75 Tourer

Come to the next nano in the spring and I will make adjustment a priority.

My first impression is that there are several issues including bonnet height, and slam panel/crash beam position. The headlights are too low forcing the bumper out of place at the leading edge of the wing. You need the fir tree clips in case they are needed, and the blades in the bumper are not seating in the slots in the wing. You are not the first to have this problem, they do not simply push fit the same as the MkII, some are ok. the odd one requires a little work. All it takes is 1mm out of place for it not to fit.

You have done a good job fitting the grille, and the paintwork looks good

Hey my name is blue, .......................

No it's not

Last edited by Devilish; 3rd December 2012 at 18:35..
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 20:10   #4
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

the fir trees are ULTRA important. get some new ones from rimmers...bumper off, dead easy to fit to the bumper. that will keep the sides pulled in.
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 09:36   #5
K£150N
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
Come to the next nano in the spring and I will make adjustment a priority.

My first impression is that there are several issues including bonnet height, and slam panel/crash beam position. The headlights are too low forcing the bumper out of place at the leading edge of the wing. You need the fir tree clips in case they are needed, and the blades in the bumper are not seating in the slots in the wing. You are not the first to have this problem, they do not simply push fit the same as the MkII, some are ok. the odd one requires a little work. All it takes is 1mm out of place for it not to fit.

You have done a good job fitting the grille, and the paintwork looks good

Hey my name is blue, .......................

No it's not
Muchas gracias Steve "red"grave, I believe your first impressions are right re. a lot of it being out of line.

I'll make sure I keep the fir tree clips that I removed from the old bumper, I also noticed that one of the fin clips has snapped oooof (only two left of the three on drivers side) so I'll try and source another clip. Are the fir tree clips all the same across the line?

The grille and paintwork is naaa bad I have to say but I wish I had started to fit this much sooner after it was painted up, it's taken some knocks and scratches from sitting in the garage, boooo! I'm going to leave it half fitted due not having any room to store it now, it's got some bolts in so it isn't going any where!

You were looking a tad blue, perhaps it was down to this cold winter weather.

Should I keep an eye open for meets on www.wolverhamptonnanomeets.com OR are there any others that I should look out for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gp View Post
you really do need the clips that fit the bumper to the wing..also get the bumper fitting to the wing (with clip ) then line up the 10mm screw that fits in the wheel arch, adjust and tighten to suit.
Thank you 1gp, I've got the clips with the three fins in that slot in the side of the bumpers but I didn't fit the fir tree clips, in retrospect I should of bobbed the later on but having had my thoughts confirmed by Steve there is more to do to make it fit properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by championdaddy View Post
the fir trees are ULTRA important. get some new ones from rimmers...bumper off, dead easy to fit to the bumper. that will keep the sides pulled in.
Thanks championdaddy, I've got some from the old bumper to re-use, incidentally is rimmers down as the home page has a database SQL error?!
Old 4th December 2012, 09:40   #6
K£150N
Loves to post

Ah no, it's all fine, Rimmers is back open
Old 4th December 2012, 21:15   #7
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by K£150N View Post
I've got some from the old bumper to re-use
Don't re-use the fir tree clips, you'll only regret it. New ones are essential - previously used ones never quite go solidly in place and there's always a bit of give. They're cheap, so it's a false economy not to replace them while you have the chance.

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 160 (sadly now gone!)
2015 BMW 435d GranCoupe XDrive
calibrax is offline   Reply With Quote