Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th November 2014, 20:35   #1
Rovering
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 Connoissuer, #2 of 16 exported for NZ market.

Default Which to choose?

Hi all,
I am contemplating an 'upgrade' to my original Symphony system in my Aug 2002 built 75 Tourer.
I have had a look thru a fair few posts regarding the Navall units and a few others on offer.
All I really want is the GPS navigation, ipod connectivity, SD card usb input, flashdrive, hands free cellphone usage, and a better sounding system.
I have my entire CD collection on an old mp3 player (Sony) and an ipod touch, plus my flashdrive.
Not at all wanting tv!
Not wanting to install amps.

Questions:
1: As I live in New Zealand, do the navall units have GPS software for my part of the world, or somewhere where it can be downloaded from?
2: i really would like a plug and play type of setup, my brother is good with electronics, so that would help.
3: Am I better to go to REPCO or Supercheap Autos and get something off the shelf?
4: Am I better to try and get a standard Rover Highline system......not sure what is entailed to aftermarket fit one of those, or if it is indeed possible.
5: Standard Rover highline systems have that shark fin on the roof of the Tourer, as mine does not have this, where would a receiver go?
Hopefully someone can give me a few pointers!
Cheers,
Graeme
2004 BMW 530d

2002 MG ZT 190 manual Anthracite (NZ new) built 18-07-2002
Rovering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 21:25   #2
Radioguy
Banned

None

Hi Graeme

Sounds like the Standard head unit is for you. the Navall 2
One is not really better than the other, Only different. And your requirement list fits the bill of the WinCE head unit. (All aspects and more)
The main differences between the Windows and Android head units are basically that the Android has Internet / Email access
and the ability to be more customized to you as the user.
In future the operating system (Android) can be upgraded as new features and changes come out as well as being customized by downloading and installing APPS
The Android unit also features a built in Disc that can Copy and store for playback . The peripherals like Dash Cam and DVB receiver
are simple Plug and play as well.
The Windows units are a more fixed design , They cannot be changed or upgraded.

They Both have the main components , AM/FM radio, SAt Nav, DVD/CD Players, Bluetooth, Ipod interfaces, SD Card and USB Playback and can both accept DVB and Cameras.
For Longevity , the Android is a bit more money but a better investment as far as keeping up with technology advancements.

NZ We have just uploaded the Most recent maps this weekend ! (Sept 2014)
If you are not hiline than you are basically Plug and Play and we and many members here can support your DIY effort.

No you should not go to REPCO or Supercheap Autos , you will over pay and be under featured !

Unless you are into keeping the car 100% original, I would suggest that most members will urge you to not try to fit the Highline. It is quite involved !
Our headunit comes with the GPS antenna and that is simply placed under the dash behind the head unit . It has a Magnetic base. Nothing to install !

Hope this all Helps

this is the unit for you

http://www.75andzt.com/index.php?rou...&product_id=85

Cheers

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovering View Post
Hi all,
I am contemplating an 'upgrade' to my original Symphony system in my Aug 2002 built 75 Tourer.
I have had a look thru a fair few posts regarding the Navall units and a few others on offer.
All I really want is the GPS navigation, ipod connectivity, SD card usb input, flashdrive, hands free cellphone usage, and a better sounding system.
I have my entire CD collection on an old mp3 player (Sony) and an ipod touch, plus my flashdrive.
Not at all wanting tv!
Not wanting to install amps.

Questions:
1: As I live in New Zealand, do the navall units have GPS software for my part of the world, or somewhere where it can be downloaded from?
2: i really would like a plug and play type of setup, my brother is good with electronics, so that would help.
3: Am I better to go to REPCO or Supercheap Autos and get something off the shelf?
4: Am I better to try and get a standard Rover Highline system......not sure what is entailed to aftermarket fit one of those, or if it is indeed possible.
5: Standard Rover highline systems have that shark fin on the roof of the Tourer, as mine does not have this, where would a receiver go?
Hopefully someone can give me a few pointers!
Cheers,
Graeme
Radioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 01:09   #3
Rovering
Gets stuck in

Thank you for that detailed reply. I will ponder on the options for a while.
Cheers,
Graeme
2004 BMW 530d

Last edited by Rovering; 10th November 2014 at 01:10.. Reason: Auto word correcting, corrected!
Old 10th November 2014, 08:20   #4
Ps3000
Gets stuck in

None at moment

As the owner of a Highline Unit (which was fitted originally to my car) and (in passing) a huge fan of all things Kiwi - I even had a TradeMe account until they banned foreginers, I would advise against bothering with the Highline. These are my reasons -

The wiring is complex - The setup is effectively like extracting the "guts" from the head unit and relocating it to the boot with attendant complexity. If you have a problem it will be tricky to sort - as I am currently finding. Retro fitting can be done - there are accounts of it on the internet, but it will involve fitting a new front to rear wiring loom, and the purchase and fitting of the three electronics units (two tuners and the CD Sat Nav Drive).

The Sat Nav - it is very outdated compared with the units on offer from Radioguy, and there's no easy upgrade path. It's not touch screen, for example and the map display is quite poor definition, with few options.

Even going the Repco etc route would be preferable.

Last edited by Ps3000; 10th November 2014 at 08:24..
Ps3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 16:17   #5
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 Manual Starlight Silver

Hi Graeme,

If you want to have a pleasant experience using you iPod get the NavAll1 or Navall2. Don't go for the WinCE unit (although that one has is advantages as well )

Installing is plug 'n play.

And above all.... it just looks great in your dash (as if it is factory fitted )

Sjonnie

Rover 75 2.5 Manual MK2 MY 05 Starlight Silver - Miss March 2022 / Miss May 2023
MG F 1.8i MK2 MY 00 in Anthracite

MG ZT-T 190+ MK2 MY 05 Xpower Grey (sold) - Mr Cover page 2021
Dearly missed: ꝉ ꝉ MG ZT 190+ MK2 MY 04 in Black Olive #8/8 R.I.P. - Miss February 2016

Quote:
If it don't fit use a hammer
Sjonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 17:51   #6
A19_Graham
I really should get out more.......

Land Rover Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjonnie View Post
Hi Graeme,

If you want to have a pleasant experience using you iPod get the NavAll1 or Navall2. Don't go for the WinCE unit (although that one has is advantages as well )

Installing is plug 'n play.

And above all.... it just looks great in your dash (as if it is factory fitted )
I must be doing something wrong, because I find using the Ipod on my Navall 1 in the Van a nightmare.

Havent tried the naval 2 yet though.

For everything else though, I cannot fault these head units.

Looking forward to trying everything out on the new on, as Ive fitted the sharkfin, for ultimate radio and tv signal.
A19_Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 19:20   #7
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjonnie View Post

Agreed

Old 11th November 2014, 04:13   #8
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
The Navall 1 IPod interface is no better than the WinCe interface
It's easier to use bluetooth audio streaming, better still forget the iPod and take advantage of the micro Sd slot and the far better media player for that
Hmm... at the time. I was considering upgrading my WinCE toe a Navall two people told me the player was wat better on the navall. That proved not to be true but is is slightly better.

PS I switched toe PowerAmp.

Sjonnie

Rover 75 2.5 Manual MK2 MY 05 Starlight Silver - Miss March 2022 / Miss May 2023

Dearly missed: ꝉ ꝉ MG ZT 190+ MK2 MY 04 in Black Olive #8/8 R.I.P. - Miss February 2016

Quote:
Old 11th November 2014, 04:15   #9
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
You Aren't , It Is Bad. Weakest point of the unit
Should have told me at the time of the upgrade. IT is also not true. Weakest point is it 's framework errors

Sjonnie

Quote:
Old 11th November 2014, 06:20   #10
Rovering
Gets stuck in

Hmmmm........looks like a Navall2 might be the better option then. I am happy to use a micro sd card for all my music......can then leave the iPod hooked up to my home theatre in the TV room in my house!
I tend to turn my music on and hit the random button and let it do its own thing!
I do like the reverse camera and also the front camera option too.
Better start saving up my money........double what you guys have to pay! 😢😢
Graeme
2004 BMW 530d