Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th March 2018, 08:53   #1
AGAs
Regular poster

ZT

Default Tuning a 1.8T

I am toying with the idea of starting a new project on a nice ZT 1.8T that I can pick up cheaply. Lowish mileage engine and no head gasket issues. I am thinking to spend about £2.5k on it, including sorting clutch, suspension and brakes as well as getting the power up to around 250bhp.

My question is. Who has done this sort of thing before and with what sort of results? How far can these engines reliably be taken and what are the 'must do's' when giving the K series some serious attention?
Old 29th March 2018, 09:06   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Here is one example, I know of another by Geraint on FB & his build is a monster https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=206798
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2018, 09:12   #3
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

A few here have the Kmaps 220hp upgrade which is reckoned to be the safe limit. The boss of Kmaps was part of the MGR development team.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2018, 09:19   #4
AGAs
Regular poster

ZT

Can't view your link Suzublu unfortunately.

Stevestrat I don't mind beefing up engine internals to increase the safe limit. Any details on this monster car on here? I don't do Facebook.
Old 29th March 2018, 09:22   #5
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Geraint sadly deleted his build thread see if you can view these https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=219254
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...25&postcount=1
He's looking at 500+ nearly finished I think
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2018, 09:30   #6
AGAs
Regular poster

ZT

Wow! Never seen anything quite like that before on an old MG! That looks fantastic!

Just re-read your post. 500+??!! Awesome!

Last edited by AGAs; 29th March 2018 at 09:32..
AGAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2018, 20:27   #7
BigBen
Loves to post

R75 V8 Tourer, CDTi Auto Tourer (both Connie SE), MG ZT-T 190+, MG TF 115

Have a look at Daniel Demello's turbo project thread CLICKY HERE

A really nice example, reliable and properly tuned to 250bhp

And if you want to see some up-to-date pics of his car CLICKY HERE

They're from the Ynysangharad Car show last summer

[SIGPIC]https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/image.php?u=23989&type=sigpic&dateline=1467731033[/SIGPIC]

Past cars:-
BL: Discovery 3.1 & V8 2WD pick-up, Rover 800 Vitesse Turbo Coupe, 820 SLi 180 Fastback, 600ti, Montego 2.0EFi VDP, Ital 1.3 Estate
Ford: Transit Cosworth V6, Granada 2.9 V6 Scorpio & 2.8 V6 GL
Volvo: 480 Turbo & 1.7 ES, 240 GLE
Porsche: 944 2.7 Lux
Audi: 100 ESE 20v
Peugeot: 405 1.9 GR
Talbot: Alpine 1.6 Rapier S

Last edited by BigBen; 29th March 2018 at 20:29..
BigBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2018, 01:41   #8
Gameferrit
Regular poster

MG ZT 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAs View Post
I am toying with the idea of starting a new project on a nice ZT 1.8T that I can pick up cheaply. Lowish mileage engine and no head gasket issues. I am thinking to spend about £2.5k on it, including sorting clutch, suspension and brakes as well as getting the power up to around 250bhp.

My question is. Who has done this sort of thing before and with what sort of results? How far can these engines reliably be taken and what are the 'must do's' when giving the K series some serious attention?
Make me an offer on mine. I'm thinking of selling my ZT and wondered what it's worth and if there's any interest in it. It's a mk II in Xpower grey with around 80k on the clock and 6 months MOT. Engine was changed around 18 months ago with one from a 2013 MG6 (around 16k miles on it at the time) Turbo CHRA, Clutch and both cylinders were done at the same time (clutch was from a breaker but had hardly any wear). It has a stainless steel cat back exhaust, all coolant hoses are silicone and has the metal T piece. Recent front pads and disks. I also have rear pads and disks to go on which would be included in the sale price. Android head unit from AndroidICE and will also include original HU. 6 CD changer is still in the boot and did work last time it was used. Handbrake has uprated compensator and works as it should. New battery. Both front coil springs have also been replaced in the last couple of years. Everything works as it should and bodywork is pretty good considering it's age.

Now for the bad. There had previously been the usual boot leak so the boot base has a bit of a sag (completely dry now as are all carpets). There's a couple blemishes to the paint paintwork (probably not that noticeable but I know they're there so they stare me right in the face). There's some minor scratches on the roof from a branch that hit it in the recent storms but I'm sure they'd polish out. Drivers seat is a little worn (seats are part leather, it's only the fabric part that's worn. Bolsters are perfect as are all the other seats) Tyres are all good (1 is band new) but wheels are really in need of a refurb (gridspokes).

What do you guys think it's worth? I'm only considering selling it because I have the opportunity to buy a car I've always wanted and I cant really afford to run 2 cars. As you can probably tell I've spent a lot of money and I'm reluctant to sell but needs must. I genuinely have no idea what it's worth.

Copied and pasted from my FB post

Last edited by Gameferrit; 31st March 2018 at 01:42.. Reason: added details about FB post
Gameferrit is offline   Reply With Quote