Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th December 2011, 23:00   #1
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts
Unhappy iphone 3GS - Beware of updating software

I've had an iphone 3GS 32 GB for over 2 years and it has served me very well, especially for accessing the forum on the go.

Well on Wednesday I decided to do a very over due itunes sync on the laptop, and up popped a message saying there was a newer version of software for the phone (version 5.0.1), bonus, I thought, lets see what goodies they have added to the functionality, so I updated the phone.

Well I have to say, that for me anyway, it knobbled it. Whenever I tried to swipe or scroll through my pictures, or email messages, or surf the web, the phone would just stick temporarily then continue, and when trying to type replies to posts, it would only display the first 2 letters of a word before freezing for a second then quickly revealing them on catch up. This makes it very difficult to type a reply on the forums.

Not happy, I went along to my local carphone warehouse (other leading companies are also available ) to ask them about it. They said that the latest version of software although backwardly compatible with the older 3GS phones, was ideally intended for the iphone 4S dual core A5 chip, and so the older non dual core processor would now struggle to perform as well as it used to.

They also said that there was no way of reverting back to a previous level of firmware, so I had to accept it.

Luckily for me, I was due and upgrade and so plumped for the new 4S model and also got £98.00 trade in for my old handset, but really Apple should make it clear to owners of older equipment, that the later releases of firmware can actually have a detrimental effect on the phone's performance.

I post this simply as a warning to anyone considering doing the firmware update to version 5.0.1 on an earlier 3GS handset. I should have stuck to the old maxim 'If it aint broke, don't fix it'
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 23:03   #2
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

you can downgrade the software not "officially" but you will love the 4s.
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 23:05   #3
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

I would just say beware of iPhone's full stop!

One thing I like about Android is newer versions seem to be getting faster and more efficient. My first Android was an HTC Hero which shipped with 1.5 and was quite sluggish, by the time I upgraded it was running 2.1 (and then 2.3 via Cyanogenmod) and it was very fast. My current phone is a Galaxy S which started out on 2.1 and was quick but tended to freeze a lot, 2.2 was then better and 2.3 was like **** off a shovel. It's now running 4.0 which is very quick.
Old 8th December 2011, 23:54   #4
MrBitsy
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
I would just say beware of iPhone's full stop!
Oh blimey, why?

Android and iPhone both have their good and bad points, depending on your point of view. For those who don't own an Android based phone or iPhone, you won't go far wrong with either.

Personally, I prefer iPhone because of the seamless way everything works together - phone, iTunes, Mac/PC, iPad, iCloud etc. I have owned iPhones since 2008 and have never had a problem with the software or Hardware. One could hardly describe your Android experience as perfect, as it took three versions to run quick - 'My current phone is a Galaxy S which started out on 2.1 and was quick but tended to freeze a lot, 2.2 was then better and 2.3 was like **** off a shovel' :-)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by MrBitsy; 8th December 2011 at 23:57..
MrBitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 06:44   #5
psicobra
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitsy View Post
Oh blimey, why?

Android and iPhone both have their good and bad points, depending on your point of view. For those who don't own an Android based phone or iPhone, you won't go far wrong with either.

Personally, I prefer iPhone because of the seamless way everything works together - phone, iTunes, Mac/PC, iPad, iCloud etc. I have owned iPhones since 2008 and have never had a problem with the software or Hardware. One could hardly describe your Android experience as perfect, as it took three versions to run quick - 'My current phone is a Galaxy S which started out on 2.1 and was quick but tended to freeze a lot, 2.2 was then better and 2.3 was like **** off a shovel' :-)
I have to agree i am an android fan boy but the iphone does work very well it is well designed and it just works the only reason i use android is because i like to use my phone the way i want to use it not the way apple think i should.

long list of work done so long cant fit in signature so here is the link
psicobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 08:26   #6
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Thanks Paul for the alert. I have a 3GS and will watch my step with itunes. I see that the iPhone 5 is due to be launched in March and given your experience I wonder how people like myself will cope with the updates for the 3GS. Here in SA people are still waiting for the 4S. I am only able to access the internet with the 3GS or with a dongle. Thanks for the tips.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 9th December 2011 at 08:27.. Reason: grammar
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 10:40   #7
greendriver
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 in Poseidon

I really like the galaxy S apart from the pathetic battery life. Anyone know if the battery in the S2 is any better?
Old 24th December 2011, 21:35   #8
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default You can go back to iOS 4

Just Jailbreak the phone. It's easy and safe and lets you restore to older firmware. Once done, restore from the last backup you did before updating to iOS 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
I've had an iphone 3GS 32 GB for over 2 years and it has served me very well, especially for accessing the forum on the go.

Well on Wednesday I decided to do a very over due itunes sync on the laptop, and up popped a message saying there was a newer version of software for the phone (version 5.0.1), bonus, I thought, lets see what goodies they have added to the functionality, so I updated the phone.

Well I have to say, that for me anyway, it knobbled it. Whenever I tried to swipe or scroll through my pictures, or email messages, or surf the web, the phone would just stick temporarily then continue, and when trying to type replies to posts, it would only display the first 2 letters of a word before freezing for a second then quickly revealing them on catch up. This makes it very difficult to type a reply on the forums.

Not happy, I went along to my local carphone warehouse (other leading companies are also available ) to ask them about it. They said that the latest version of software although backwardly compatible with the older 3GS phones, was ideally intended for the iphone 4S dual core A5 chip, and so the older non dual core processor would now struggle to perform as well as it used to.

They also said that there was no way of reverting back to a previous level of firmware, so I had to accept it.

Luckily for me, I was due and upgrade and so plumped for the new 4S model and also got £98.00 trade in for my old handset, but really Apple should make it clear to owners of older equipment, that the later releases of firmware can actually have a detrimental effect on the phone's performance.

I post this simply as a warning to anyone considering doing the firmware update to version 5.0.1 on an earlier 3GS handset. I should have stuck to the old maxim 'If it aint broke, don't fix it'
minty2 is offline   Reply With Quote