Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th August 2013, 17:21   #1
-Joe
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Classic SE 1.8T

Default Driveshaft or wheel bearing?

A loud moaning noise can be heard coming from the drivers footwell when the car is in motion. The noise sounds louder from inside the car. It is loudest at about 40mph+ and gets louder still whilst turning left.

In an attempt to cure the problem I recently replaced the whole right hand driveshaft assembly with a 2nd hand assembly. I noticed that the replacement had if anything slightly more wear than the assembly I took off. Both driveshaft assemblys seemed to have less wear in them than in other driveshafts I had replaced before on other cars. The center bearing seemed in good order.

After re-assembling the car I noticed the noise remains.. The noise can be heard even when rolling down hill in neutral, it's not the engine or gearbox.

I have tested for wear in the wheel bearings and can sense none with the wheel rocking test. I have run the car with the right hand side jacked up so that I can run the right hand front wheel at 40mph with the car stopped. The noise is loud inside the car yet quiet near the spinning road wheel.

I jacked up the left hand side and did the same test. No noise at all on the left hand side.

Using a stethoscope I can hear the noise on the right hand hub and subframe but cannot identify it's source.

So... Are both driveshafts new and old at fault, or could it be wheel bearing noise, but broadcasted from inboard. Could both center driveshaft hanging bearings be at fault even though they feel ok when off the car?
-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote