Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 1st November 2018, 12:22   #1
biffa75
Gets stuck in

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Default K series questions and parts?

Hi everyone,

With my parents now owning my old 75 which is currently awaiting its rear subframe and suspension to be rebuilt, i find myself contemplating a 1.8 k series (not for the first time). Running costs of my old 75 v6 is the reason my parents now own it.

So my questions are: is the headgasket failure rate really that bad? Mainly.. Is there a complete cure of this issue bringing the k series hgf to that of any other vehicle ?

Secondly are parts for 75s starting to dry up at all? Any parts that are difficult to obtain?

I understand the k series engine has been used in many different applications and in guises from morgans and kit cars from 1.4 1.6 and 1.8.
Subsequently about 12 years ago my parents owned a 414 400 on a T plate. I must say it was a nice car and felt solid from what i remember but even after just 6-8 months of my parents ownership. The headgasket failed.

I understand the k series can be a good engine but my belief is those who have owned the 1.8 and suffered the headgasket issues have simply moved on to other cars or have gone on to own the v6 or diesel engined models of 75 instead.

I find myself often pawing over pages and forum and articles, just seeing wether it would be worth the gamble of owning the 75 with the 1.8 k series fitted and if the headgasket was ever an issue, heeding advice and thoughts of others as towards making the k series just as reliable as any other engine out there.

But is it really worth it or would i just be aswell buying the 2.0 and sucking up the running costs?. Diesels arent possible due to eminent emissions charges near to where i.live and only travelling 6 miles to work and back so wouldnt do the diesel any good.

Tia!
Rob
biffa75 is offline   Reply With Quote