Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th August 2013, 10:04   #1
jkmuk

Rover 75 Contemporary Auto SE

Default Repairing Faulty Power Vis

Searching and reading through this wonderful forum's wealth of information I am able to gather that it may be possible to repair a failed VIS motor unit for a KV6. I have a failed power VIS motor in may car. This assertion is based on the club's VIS tester (which I now have by the way) failing to produce any movement on the power vis.

1. I tried to locate a 'how to' on repairing the vis and so far have failed. Would someone be kind enough to point me to any posting here or elsewhere that comprehensively describes how one might repair it?

2. Alternatively, would someone be able to repair it for me ? Happy to pay for repair or buy a working spare if that works out cheaper.

Thanks
Kanth
jkmuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 10:07   #2
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

If you have no luck getting it repaired, I have a couple for sale

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=155982
ZedTeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 10:10   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Kanth,

Club member Stocktake provides a refurbishment service for VIS actuators. If you send him a PM I'm sure he will respond with the choices available to you. You could repair it yourself (I did mine) provided that you understand electrical circuitry and can use a soldering iron and multimeter.

Simon
Old 30th August 2013, 12:58   #4
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

I'd also recommend contacting Stocktake. His refurbished motors are not just repaired, but many of the components are uprated to help prevent future failures. You can even have the option of a self test button, so you can check them anytime you like without the club tester.
Have a read up on his work here: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114817
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:48   #5
jkmuk

Rover 75 Contemporary Auto SE

An Update...

I removed and split the power vis and contrary to my expectation the inside of the viz was clean (perhaps like new) dirt or oil what so ever. When connected the vis tester in the opened condition the motor was spinning and depressing the micro switches stopped and changed the direction of spin as expected. THe PCB was all very clean no signs of burnout (excess current draw as noted in some posts)

I was not sure what to do next as everything seems to be working and so I put them back together and voilà vis started to work. All I did was split it open and then put them back together. I screwed the vis on to the manifold and I was pleased as the rattling stopped.

But the bad news came the next day when I took the car for a long drive on the motor way and pushed the engine really hard to reach all the high rev levels to activate both the vis actuators. The vis seemed to be working but not for long as I was back to square one when the power vis failed again.

This leads me to think that the vis definitely has a design issue of some sort and so a 'stocktake' refurbishment is what I need. Hopefully it addresses the design issues that the vis has.
jkmuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 10:38   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmuk View Post
An Update...

I removed and split the power vis and contrary to my expectation the inside of the viz was clean (perhaps like new) dirt or oil what so ever. When connected the vis tester in the opened condition the motor was spinning and depressing the micro switches stopped and changed the direction of spin as expected. THe PCB was all very clean no signs of burnout (excess current draw as noted in some posts)

I was not sure what to do next as everything seems to be working and so I put them back together and voilà vis started to work. All I did was split it open and then put them back together. I screwed the vis on to the manifold and I was pleased as the rattling stopped.

But the bad news came the next day when I took the car for a long drive on the motor way and pushed the engine really hard to reach all the high rev levels to activate both the vis actuators. The vis seemed to be working but not for long as I was back to square one when the power vis failed again.

This leads me to think that the vis definitely has a design issue of some sort and so a 'stocktake' refurbishment is what I need. Hopefully it addresses the design issues that the vis has.
Dave (Stocktake) Vis will sort out your issues and as a better designed board there is also an option of having self test buttons in my opinion it is not even worth buying secound hand vis when Dave rebuilds them so are in theory new and better than the original Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:02   #7
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

One of the standard faults is that the heavier plug contact strips do NOT solder very well to the pcb. It might look OK but I have had them intermittent. Clean and properly resolder, it might explain your in/out not working /working situation.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote