Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th February 2008, 21:56   #21
Frobs
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T Cdti+135 Gunmetal Grey

Did a trip to Sheffield and back today - about 400 miles. Got 500 miles out of this tankfull at 40mpg. It was quite a mixed bag of driving along a conjested M42 and M1, and biblical deluges on the way back. So I think it is similar conditions to the previous run that got me 36mpg. The difference was front tyre pressure - ie they were about 23-25, and I put them to 33.

Tomorrow she gets the new flexi and Cat section on the exhaust. So we'll see if that makes a difference. I might also get tempted to put some new tyres on the front if he does me a good deal - like a free tracking check !

Incidentally, my collegue who travelled with me was significantly impressed with the vehicle. When I told him about waving to other fellow 75 ZT's he got a bit carried away. So particular appologies to the driver of the Grey facelift on the M1 south .

Mind you I think he's now seriously interested in getting one

I'm still getting a bit too much wind noise on the pasenger side though. Cant seem to work it out.

frobs
Frobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 21:20   #22
Frobs
Avid contributor

Default Update

It cost me £216 inc VAT and fitting for the flexi and CAT section - OEM made in Blackpool - with a 2 year guarantee. So the DeCAT will have to wait.

Unsuprisingly the car is a lot quieter - but sounding less sporty !! So now I know what it should have sounded like in the first place !!

Did a trip to Southampton - 75 to 80 cruising and a small amount of town driving, plus the odd burst of full on welly just for the fun of it. This time 41mpg (brim to brim). Still not there !!

Noticed that there is a very slight flutter on the rev counter at idle. So the MAF will need sorting. To verify, I assume I disconnect it and see what difference it makes ? Will it mean the rev counter will go rock steady ? Is it OK to run MAFless for a few weeks ?

I guess I need a Peiburgh (spelling?) MAF, with a little box that interfaces it with the ECU ? But I'll have to wait for a month or so, as the cuboard of cash is bare now for spending on the new car.

Frobs
Frobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 07:28   #23
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobs View Post
Noticed that there is a very slight flutter on the rev counter at idle. So the MAF will need sorting. To verify, I assume I disconnect it and see what difference it makes ? Will it mean the rev counter will go rock steady ? Is it OK to run MAFless for a few weeks ?

I guess I need a Peiburgh (spelling?) MAF, with a little box that interfaces it with the ECU ? But I'll have to wait for a month or so, as the cuboard of cash is bare now for spending on the new car.

Frobs
Your mpg will drop again if you leave the maf disconnected. But you could try disconnecting it to see if the idle stabilises.

I'm sure a PB maf will improve it and cure the idle fluctuation which is probably due to your maf overfuelling slightly. (The higher maf signal increases the fuelling but the ecu is programmed to keep it steady at about 850 so there is a tug o' war, with neither the idle stabilisation algorithm nor maf input able to win.)

Ron
Old 29th February 2008, 15:38   #24
Frobs
Avid contributor

Noticed a few other "newbies" on other threads with poor fuel econ on CDti's Mine is hovering about at 38-42 mpg - brim to brim. And I think I should be over 45mpg with my driving style.

I've got a new PB MAF and the required MAFAM on their way from Ron.

I'll be installing them and cleaning the PCV valve in the morning. I cleaned the EGR valve a couple of weeks ago, and it doesnt seemed to have made a difference. But it certainly needed a good clean out with 71k on the clock.

Next its a set of new front tyres. And for that I'm seraching out for some Kumo's
KHUMO ECSTA SPT KU31 225/45 R18

Old 29th February 2008, 18:24   #25
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverron View Post
I'm sure a PB maf will improve it and cure the idle fluctuation which is probably due to your maf overfuelling slightly.
I'm pretty sure that diesel cars 'out there' are in three categories:
1 a few running mostly perfectly with 45+mpg on pierburgs (and associated Ronware), or the occasional decent Bosch
2. vast majority running strongly and bearably well on Bosch, but overfuelling slightly so mpg slightly disappointing. (This will be made WORSE with a maf booster...)
3. running sluggishly because of Bosch weak MAF signals underfuelling.(those benefiting massively from the MAFAM)
The difficulty is that with the performance enhancement additions, it widens the comparison goalposts slightly..
I'm hoping for a move from category 2 to 1 with my Pierburg arriving!

Its worth looking back to the official mpg figs from the handbook to realise how our expectations can be swayed to acceptability of lower figs? (higher mileage... heavy car... and so on)
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2008, 19:25   #26
Frobs
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondweed View Post
I'm pretty sure that diesel cars 'out there' are in three categories:
1 a few running mostly perfectly with 45+mpg on pierburgs (and associated Ronware), or the occasional decent Bosch
2. vast majority running strongly and bearably well on Bosch, but overfuelling slightly so mpg slightly disappointing. (This will be made WORSE with a maf booster...)
3. running sluggishly because of Bosch weak MAF signals underfuelling.(those benefiting massively from the MAFAM)
The difficulty is that with the performance enhancement additions, it widens the comparison goalposts slightly..
I'm hoping for a move from category 2 to 1 with my Pierburg arriving!
Hi Pondweed,

Due to Rons great service, my PB MAF and MAFAM turned up this morning exactly as planned.

I did the ten minute job in about an hour The extended timeframe meant I didnt get time to clean the PCV valve while I was in there. But nevertheless, after a couple of test drives, and the odd puff of smoke, I got the setting about right.

It has made an immediate improvement in throttle response, smoothed the idle, reduced noise slightly somehow, and generally the car feels more sorted. I suppose the problem was that I didnt know what I was missing !!

Anyway, I filled the car up again afterwards - with mpg of barely 38mpg. So, with a lot of driving ahead this week - probably over 1200 miles - we should see if that sorts the problem.

BTW the extended timeframe was due to Halfords not having the star shaped male thingyies in stock. So mole grips it was then !!