Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th February 2014, 22:16   #1
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts
Default Check Engine Message....

.... I did,and it was still there, how do I switch the light off. There is no confirm option. :p

Seriously though, I have just recently bought a 63000 mile, 2004 zt cdti auto. It seemed very sluggish compared to my old 130 passat. So did a bit of reading on here, and figured,even though it is an auto, it should still have a little more poke. I don't 'need' it to be quick, because I do prefer to cruise everywhere anyway. But I can still cruise whilst the car is operating correctly. Taking what I have read, I disconnected the maf, in the hope that there will be a slight increase in power to suggest the maf is faulty. Disconnected the plug,and wrapped it up with insulating tape to shield it from any bad weather we would have.

I took the car for a short spin. All seemed well,but not much in the way of extra power,perhaps a little but nothing like I have read. Later that day, the check engine message came on. I haven't noticed anyone mentioning this before. Was hoping it would reset itself,or at least see an improvement over the week. A little,but light still on.

Tonight has been first chance to get to plug back in. Plugged it back in and light still on. Disconnected the battery for half an hour hoping to reset. Still on. Took it for a spin and car still runs ok tho,just as it was with plug out.

Have I done something wrong?

Or have I just missed something about resetting the message?

Or by coincidence, has something failed?

Out of curiosity, do these cars have a limp mode?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 22:19   #2
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Sounds like you need to get the car on a T4 and get it checked over!

Sounds like the MAF could have died, which won't help the performance, but do you definitely know that your car is the 131 version and not a 114?

In either case, I would get to one of the T4 Guru's that offer the 160 upgrade and they can give the car a health check at the same time!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 22:41   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Thanks Mr doodles. Was figuring on that, getting the time and funds is what is holding me back. I do plan to do the 160 upgrade asap. The v5 says it is the 131, and the previous owner, a friend and ex traffic cop, described it in the past as a flying machine. Once over 40it does gently and rapidly pick up pace. But still not with the urgency of the passat and previous to that a 130bhp xtype I had.

I do adore the car, and can't wait til the Bodyshop gets the door sorted. Someone ran into it 13days after I got it! Tracking, light seals, 160upgrade,and I think it will be perfect.

I should have added in if initial message hat the EML was not on before. Just in case that was not clear. :beer:

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 7th February 2014 at 22:48..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2014, 10:15   #4
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

As it is a later model diesel, there is a chance that a blocked EGR valve can bring on the engine management light. I suppose it could also give poor performance if it was stuck open or full of cack.
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote