Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th December 2016, 15:02   #41
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

I didn't see it either George.

Just as well probably

And Les - if my comment offended you then I am sorry.

But from my perspective tgose of a "Left Leaning persuasion" have consistently cited Cuba under Castro as some sort of Shangri La of the Communist world because they managed to get good literacy and health care.

Which in themselves are two very laudable achievements.

But they do little to compensate for the shocking and awful human rights abuses carried out by Castro's regime.

Hence why I cited a Human Rights Watch report - of which the first paragraph states:-

Cuba remains the only country in Latin America that represses virtually all forms of political dissent. In 2012, the government of Raúl Castro continued to enforce political conformity using short-term detentions, beatings, public acts of repudiation, travel restrictions, and forced exile

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/201...-chapters/cuba

And under Raul - things supposedly got better!!!
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 15:32   #42
KLM
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club CDT

Dear Darcy,
Thank you for your persistent opinions, to me they are water of a ducks back....
End of.
Kev.
KLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 16:44   #43
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLM View Post
Dear Darcy,
Thank you for your persistent opinions, to me they are water of a ducks back....
End of.
Kev.
As a rabid dog of a bloke I am afraid you confuse me with someone that gives a **** what you think.

Sorry - but if you cannot take it - i suggest you don't dish it out.

Thank you for your co-operation.
Old 9th December 2016, 06:24   #44
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, Astra Techline Estate and Corsa 1.2 SXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Okay, I removed two posts on here for being downright abusive and shown someone the door, any more that can't discuss the topic reasonably and I'll close the thread.
That, IMHO, would not be the right course of action. The most reasonable action would be to ban the other offending individuals.

Why deny the rest of the membership the opportunity to debate in a reasonable and civil manner?

I am no expert on Cuba, nor indeed anything really, but some of the "bad things" listed in a few posts above seem psitively positive compared with the actions and behaviours of many regimes around the world whom we consider to be our close friends and close allies.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 08:24   #45
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
That, IMHO, would not be the right course of action. The most reasonable action would be to ban the other offending individuals.

Why deny the rest of the membership the opportunity to debate in a reasonable and civil manner?

I am no expert on Cuba, nor indeed anything really, but some of the "bad things" listed in a few posts above seem psitively positive compared with the actions and behaviours of many regimes around the world whom we consider to be our close friends and close allies.
Absolutely correct.

Underlines my point exactly. Those of us who criticise regimes for how badly they treat their citizens regardless of their being to the Left or to the Right are regularly dismayed by the excuses made by those on the Left to justify the appalling actions of places like Cuba and also those on the Right to justify the appalling actions of places like Saudi Arabia.

Interesting that Boris Johnson yet again - throws protocol under a bus and says it like it is.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-abusing-islam