Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th June 2017, 23:55   #1
sundancer

Rover 75 1.8 Club Tourer, Rover 25 & MG ZR

Default 75 1.8 Club Tourer - noisy front suspension

I took on quite a sick and poorly 53 plate 75 Tourer last year with suspected HGF, which turned out to be a leaking inlet manifold gasket.

I've been working through a number of faults, and believe me its got quite a few even though its only got just over 83k on the clock.

I had a driveshaft snap clean in half just where it goes into the outer CV last month, the airbag light is on, although i've traced that to the ns front seat connector which needs to be sorted and it stinks of petrol from the NSR if you put more than half a tank of fuel in it. I think its the sender unit seal which may have gone in the tank so thats no biggie either. The exhaust also rattles off the chassis at about 2500 rpm, i think that's probably the bottom engine mount that may be a bit iffy.

Its a bit of a basket case to say the least, but i love this car to bits after replacing my old Vectra estate with it ( That was a shed too ). I don't quite love it as much as my ZR but its getting there

What i'm worried about the most on my 75 is the front suspension. It clunks and bangs constantly even though i cannot find any loose components or leaks of any kind. Its most prominent when the car is stationary. if you rock the steering wheel back and forth it sounds like somebody hitting the coil springs with a hammer although you cannot see any movement.

Any ideas before i start to strip the front end down.

I did think about going to the nano meet in Wolves next weekend for a bit of advice, but feel that as i have just joined the forum it may be a bit of a cheek so advise from the forum would be greatly received.

Thanks

Sundancer

Last edited by sundancer; 10th June 2017 at 23:57..
sundancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 06:59   #2
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer View Post
I took on quite a sick and poorly 53 plate 75 Tourer last year with suspected HGF, which turned out to be a leaking inlet manifold gasket.

I've been working through a number of faults, and believe me its got quite a few even though its only got just over 83k on the clock.

I had a driveshaft snap clean in half just where it goes into the outer CV last month, the airbag light is on, although i've traced that to the ns front seat connector which needs to be sorted and it stinks of petrol from the NSR if you put more than half a tank of fuel in it. I think its the sender unit seal which may have gone in the tank so thats no biggie either. The exhaust also rattles off the chassis at about 2500 rpm, i think that's probably the bottom engine mount that may be a bit iffy.

Its a bit of a basket case to say the least, but i love this car to bits after replacing my old Vectra estate with it ( That was a shed too ). I don't quite love it as much as my ZR but its getting there

What i'm worried about the most on my 75 is the front suspension. It clunks and bangs constantly even though i cannot find any loose components or leaks of any kind. Its most prominent when the car is stationary. if you rock the steering wheel back and forth it sounds like somebody hitting the coil springs with a hammer although you cannot see any movement.

Any ideas before i start to strip the front end down.

I did think about going to the nano meet in Wolves next weekend for a bit of advice, but feel that as i have just joined the forum it may be a bit of a cheek so advise from the forum would be greatly received.

Thanks

Sundancer
Can't help with the problems but defiantly go to the nano loads of friendly people with vast knowledge who are only too willing to help I've been going 3yrs and they've helped keep my 75 on the road,

Scott

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 07:37   #3
Annie
Avid contributor

2002 CDT Auto Con SE Saloon

it sounds like the strut top bearings have worn out. a fairly simple job only if you have the correct tools otherwise leave it to a garage
Annie is offline   Reply With Quote