Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd August 2017, 08:16   #1
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Default Navall Comet installation advice

Given how new these things are, I think this may be a question only Jeff can answer.

So, having found out that my Navall Comet actually got delivered to a UPS access point and not my work address, I finally collected it yesterday and unpacked it this morning.
I'm upgrading from a Navall 3 and while that was clear on what connected where, I'm not so clear on the Comet. I obviously won't try to re-use the Navall 3 connectors because they're probably wired differently and while most things seem to be straight-forward, I'm not clear on where the two wires from the SWC connect in. Don't see any marking that makes that clear...

Would appreciate some guidance.
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 15:01   #2
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

So for the benefit of anyone else reading this, this is the PM Jeff just sent me
"The key 1 brown wire and the key ground wire connect to the two wires which your previous head units steering wheel wires were connected to.
Should be blue/orange and blue/purple.
It matters not which way round they go.

The key 2 brown wire isn't used "

I can confirm that this all works well.

First impressions from my (albeit brief) play so far is very positive.
I do find the lack of physical "Home" and "Back" keys slightly disconcerting, but I'll get used to it. The new features in Android 7 are very nice and the whole look and feel of the interface is a massive improvement.
Sound quality is also an improvement, but early days on that score.
Radio tuner interface is a big improvement and finally a decent implementation of RDS.
In terms of performance I can't say I've seen any noticeable difference over the Navall 3, but it's still more than acceptable on that score.
Old 2nd August 2017, 15:32   #3
Burwell Mike
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T 260

Just installed mine as a swap for a Navall 3 and received the same helpful advice from Jeff.

Just to add to BigAde's notes if you have a rear camera the reverse light feed connects to the wire labelled REV1.

I had a problem getting reception on FM eventually solved by changing the aerial adaptor (although the old ISO/DIN adaptor worked on the Navall 3) . We also found that it was better to ensure that the AF TA or PTY buttons were not lit when initially scanning for stations.

I agree with BigAde that this is a big improvement in terms of interface and sound quality. The instant hot boot is great - no waiting around everytime you get back in the car.

For DAB users there are no presets but the DAB works fine with available stations easy to find.

Early days but so far looks very good
Burwell Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 15:55   #4
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burwell Mike View Post
I had a problem getting reception on FM eventually solved by changing the aerial adaptor (although the old ISO/DIN adaptor worked on the Navall 3) . We also found that it was better to ensure that the AF TA or PTY buttons were not lit when initially scanning for stations....
Thanks for that Mike.
I did have trouble picking up radio stations on first scan - it only picked up Radio Surrey for some reason (but in my case I've long suspected a FM aerial problem in my car, so I didn't mention it). I just connected the long traditional DIN plug into the back of the stereo and disconnected all the adapters I was using into the small gold threaded connector on the Navall 3.

I'll try rescanning and ensure AF TA and PTY buttons are off this time.
Old 2nd August 2017, 16:16   #5
Burwell Mike
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAde View Post
Thanks for that Mike.
I did have trouble picking up radio stations on first scan - it only picked up Radio Surrey for some reason (but in my case I've long suspected a FM aerial problem in my car, so I didn't mention it). I just connected the long traditional DIN plug into the back of the stereo and disconnected all the adapters I was using into the small gold threaded connector on the Navall 3.

I'll try rescanning and ensure AF TA and PTY buttons are off this time.
Yes, it was the long traditional silver looking plug that I had to change, on mine it connects to the car aerial lead on a right angled plug and then goes direct into the back of the Comet- ISO to DIN I think it is called but I am sure someone will correct me if thats wrong! The second one seems a tighter fit in the back of the comet.

Initially I could only get Kiss FM (not my choice of radio), but it now gets the main stations OK. I am not convinced that reception is as good as the Navall 3, in my car at least, but once it gets a strong signal sound quality is better. The better interface and working RDS is a great improvement though.

It will be interesting to see how others get on with FM reception.

Mike
Burwell Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 19:29   #6
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

You were right - having AF, TA and PTY turned off certainly helps and this time it tuned in 10 or so stations.