Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th February 2018, 10:21   #1
marks100

Rover 75 Facelift Auto Tourer

Default Facelift headlights - compatability

Hi there,

My facelift tourer has xenon lights (XBC002810 and XBC002800), the passenger side has a fault so the beam is pointing too low and the adjusters are not working correctly. I will take it out and have a tinker with it to see if it is fixable. However as Rimmers currently have replacements listed as £540.00 each, if I am not successful can I substitute a matched pair of projectors from a R75 or MG ZT? I.e. Are the plugs the same for the different types of lights?

Many thanks for any insight anyone can offer.

Mark S.
marks100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 10:25   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

The self levelling arms may have flipped, check the o/side suspension arms for an "L" shaped arm. The lights are interchangeable between models.
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 10:28   #3
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

My first thought is they would not be directly interchangeable as the Xenons have automatic levelling but halogen or projectors have manual adjustment from the thumb wheel next to the light switch. Not sure if the loom etc is different.

Probably pick up a set of Xenons of Ebay.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 12:46   #4
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

suzublu said they are interchangeable. It's true that halogens as standard have the thumbwheel adjuster for the driver to operate - but doesn't matter if you have self levelling thats fine with halogens. The wiring at the lights end is the same for both types.

Just a note - the picture in suzublu's post is of the adjustment arm 'flipped' it should be the other way i.e. forming a parrallelogram with the suspension arm.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 13:02   #5
suzublu
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
suzublu said they are interchangeable. It's true that halogens as standard have the thumbwheel adjuster for the driver to operate - but doesn't matter if you have self levelling thats fine with halogens. The wiring at the lights end is the same for both types.

Just a note - the picture in suzublu's post is of the adjustment arm 'flipped' it should be the other way i.e. forming a parrallelogram with the suspension arm.
Voila!!!
Old 9th February 2018, 13:34   #6
NigelOBB
This is my second home

04 Rover 75 Contemporary SE - 53 Rover 75 Connoisseur -94 Mercedes W140 - 72 VW Beetle 1300

There’s a chance the adjustment arm might be seized. It happened to mine and sheared the bracket off..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

NigelOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 16:25   #7
marks100

Rover 75 Facelift Auto Tourer

Thanks for the replies, I think the self leveling is OK as both lights do the "self test" correctly, but I will check. The reflector looks a bit low in the passenger light and I cannot get the allen keyed adjusters to work, so feel there is something not quite right in the lamp itself. Anyway I have the other information I need so that is very helpful.

Regards,

Mark S.
marks100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 16:29   #8
suzublu
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks100 View Post
Thanks for the replies, I think the self leveling is OK as both lights do the "self test" correctly, but I will check. The reflector looks a bit low in the passenger light and I cannot get the allen keyed adjusters to work, so feel there is something not quite right in the lamp itself. Anyway I have the other information I need so that is very helpful.

Regards,

Mark S.
Self test has nothing to do with the levelling Maybe the plastic clips inside have come adrift, they are a sort of ball & socket affair
Old 9th February 2018, 16:55   #9
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
My first thought is they would not be directly interchangeable as the Xenons have automatic levelling but halogen or projectors have manual adjustment from the thumb wheel next to the light switch. Not sure if the loom etc is different.

Probably pick up a set of Xenons of Ebay.
I did - for far less than the Rimmer price (£200) and which Trikey fitted a few years ago .

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 18:16   #10
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

If the adjuster has failed, mine did due to corrosion between the geared wheel and the rod, there is a fix. I can assure you it works well, has done on mine for years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-M View Post
Not sure if you can get the cogs separately, but when the adjuster worked loose on mine I did a 'quick fix' using the inside of a cable terminal block like this...

You just need the inside of one connector, then cut it in half so you have a short hollow block with a single screw in it. Slip it over the end of the adjuster rod and then use a pair of pliers to pull the adjuster rod out of the back of the lamp until it's at the correct height (line the beam up against a wall and compare it with the other side). Once it's in the correct position tighted the screw so that the rod is held in place.

It's just about do-able single handed, but easier if you can get someone else to tighten up the screw while you keep the light in position.

BTW - The 'quick fix' is still there 6 momths later!

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote