Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th August 2018, 07:35   #1
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Default Still here...

Hi folks,

I am still here (and, Mike, not leaving ;-) ). I am in Slovakia and up to my ears with work. I have tried to buy a car - first a 75 Tourer or ZT-T, but there just are not any good ones to be had here. Importing can be a bit of complication for me since I am not a permanent resident. However, I have been watching one in Czech Republic for the better part of six months or a year. It recently went from the original selling dealer to a second one in a different town (affiliated, maybe). The pictures and equipment list look GREAT. The price has not changed from day 1 - 55,000 CZK. I offered 40,000 CZK as long as the equipment all worked. I thought they obviously had not had any interest until now, so they may take what they could get, but there was no reply to my offer.

Then I started looking at Passat Variants (1.9 TDi 96kw). The good ones were all sold by the time I phoned. One available Passat was automatic and needed a front strut (I would replace the pair). When pushed by my knowledgeable friend there was an admission that the transmission was not shifting quite right. I had an A6 in the past and know this means a minimum of replacing the solenoids. What else, if anything, who knows?

Then I found a Golf Variant 1.9 Tdi 96kw. It was rough and rusty (right front fender and tailgate). On the test drive the shifter came off in my hand - the entire shifter knob, boot and plate.

Then a friend of a friend had a Renault Espace from Germany - gas with only 140,000 kms, but again automatic. Of course, the automatic transmission doesn't shift right and goes into Limp mode sometimes. Again, the solenoids seem to be the common cause of this with Renault, so he will see about getting it repaired tomorrow.

If I think about this with a clear head, the Espace is more practical for me THIS year since I am still renovating our house. There is a lot of material to be transported - some of it too big and bulky for a combi/wagon/estate/tourer. So, maybe the correct plan is to get the Espace now, finish the work, sell it next year and buy that perfect 75 Tourer that will surely be waiting with my name on it.

Anyway, still here. Busy, but will pop in when I can. Must find a way to watch the Belgian GP this afternoon.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2

Last edited by slovcan; 26th August 2018 at 07:37..
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2018, 07:44   #2
Outlaw 41
Loves to post

MG ZT

Talk about a rock and a hard place ! I wish you the best of luck with all your endeavors .
Outlaw 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2018, 07:48   #3
slovcan
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw 41 View Post
Talk about a rock and a hard place ! I wish you the best of luck with all your endeavors .
Thanks Outlaw. I am usually a glass half full kind of guy - and stubborn! It'll all work out.

Cheers,
Glenn

Old 26th August 2018, 09:57   #4
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

Hi Glenn,
Good to see you're still around, sounds like life is rather busy.
The potential choice of cars is always going to be small in your situation, I don't think we realise sometimes how lucky we are having so many to choose from, at such a low price here. It always surprises me when a member from outside the UK posts. We all complain because 'this' is expensive, or 'that' is hard to find, or 'this' took 4 days to arrive instead of 2, I can't imagine how hard it can be for guys like you, whether in Mainland or Eastern Europe, Canada, Australia, or wherever, looking for and then maintaining one of these lovely cars.
Keep looking, she's out there, waiting patiently for you to find and adopt her
Take care Glenn
Old 26th August 2018, 12:43   #5
slovcan
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundsman Willie View Post
Hi Glenn,
Good to see you're still around, sounds like life is rather busy.
The potential choice of cars is always going to be small in your situation, I don't think we realise sometimes how lucky we are having so many to choose from, at such a low price here. It always surprises me when a member from outside the UK posts. We all complain because 'this' is expensive, or 'that' is hard to find, or 'this' took 4 days to arrive instead of 2, I can't imagine how hard it can be for guys like you, whether in Mainland or Eastern Europe, Canada, Australia, or wherever, looking for and then maintaining one of these lovely cars.
Keep looking, she's out there, waiting patiently for you to find and adopt her
Take care Glenn
Thanks Dave. I will keep on keeping on. Maybe by this time next year she and I will connect. And, MAYBE by that time the upper arm situation will be resolved with new ones being plug 'n' play. It seems the drop link issue may have been resolved already by greasing them before installation.

Cheers,
Glenn