Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th October 2018, 11:24   #1
Captain Crappycrimp
Gets stuck in

Devil car is dead!

Default Weird heater fault

I have a strange intermittent fault thats driving me crazy. The heater/aircon works sometimes and then for no apparent reason wont work the control panel operates but nothing happens. Ive replaced the resistor for a gold one and the low speed works (when it works). Sometimes turning the car off then on again will get it working sometimes not. If on first starting the car the aircon/heating comes on it will work perfectly until the engine is again turned off then its pot luck if it will work again. It can work for days and weeks at a time then suddenly wont work for a period of hours or days before suddenly deciding to work again.

Hope someone can help now the winter is biting its becoming serious for demisting as when it doesnt work the internal fan wont run so cant demist the car.

Shadomobile

2003 Le mans Green MG ZTT 1.8T, 2003 MG ZT CDTI BRG, ZT 190 Typhoon, 2001 Rover 75 1.8 Tourer , 2002 solar red MG ZTT 177, 2005 Silver MG ZTT CDTI, 2001 Trophy Blue MG ZT (Early No 131) 160, 2004 XPG MG ZT CDTI.
2004 MG ZT Ignition Blue MG Press car/Pheonix 4 personal car. Rover 75 CDT top spec Cowley car. 2003 MG ZT 190+ white Gold.

Couldn't save

MG ZT 1.8T XPG 2005 MG ZTT Goodwood Green(Devil car)

MY PROJECT

2004 MG ZTT Diesel auto in disappointing grey.
Captain Crappycrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 11:41   #2
Devilish
This is my second home

75 Tourer

Easiest thing to eliminate first is the ATC control unit, swap it with another.
Old 29th October 2018, 14:21   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Is it the heating or the chilling that doesn't work?
You say the heating/aircon output 'works' sometimes, which doesn't really describe the problem.

There are two independent sections to the climate control system which provide heated and chilled airflows. The aircon buttons regulate how these flows are mixed to give you the selected inside temperature.

The heating side will (should) operate without any part of the chilling system running. The radiator fan is needed for refrigeration, but doesn't affect the heating system, so the resistor issue may not be relevant.

So does it get too hot, too cold or stop blowing alltogether?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 14:31   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello Richard,

Just adding to T-Cut's post above, I think I've identified a couple of key clues in your description:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadomobile View Post
... the control panel operates but nothing happens .... when it doesnt work the internal fan wont run ....
It sounds to me as if your blower (internal fan) isn't running. This would result in no airflow and consequently little, if any, sensation of heat since your car is a diesel. This would seem to match your report that "nothing happens".

The blower has an electronic speed control module and a very small number of members have suffered a failure. There have also been one or two cases of the blower motor expiring. If you're DIY and electrically minded you can determine which it is yourself. Would you like some details?

Simon
Old 29th October 2018, 19:40   #5
Captain Crappycrimp
Gets stuck in

Devil car is dead!

Ok to be more specific

When it works everything works heating and chilling.

When it doesn't work nothing works heating or chilling

The control unit is lit at all times and appears to operate, changes temp on screen fan speed etc but no response from fan.

I do not think the fan has failed as when the system works the fan operates throughout its range and demists very quickly.

In as simple a way as I can put it, the system does not seem to "boot up" correctly when it does not work its as though the signals are not getting from the control unit to the fan or heat and aircon systems

2003 Le mans Green MG ZTT 1.8T, 2003 MG ZT CDTI BRG, ZT 190 Typhoon, 2001 Rover 75 1.8 Tourer , 2002 solar red MG ZTT 177, 2005 Silver MG ZTT CDTI, 2001 Trophy Blue MG ZT (Early No 131) 160, 2004 XPG MG ZT CDTI.
2004 MG ZT Ignition Blue MG Press car/Pheonix 4 personal car. Rover 75 CDT top spec Cowley car. 2003 MG ZT 190+ white Gold.

Couldn't save

MY PROJECT

Old 29th October 2018, 19:43   #6
Captain Crappycrimp
Gets stuck in

Devil car is dead!

Simon
thanks for the answer yes I would like details please Im not that good with electronics but will have a go.

Thank you

Couldn't save

MY PROJECT

Old 30th October 2018, 07:21   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Richard,

I think you have what is known in electronics circles as an intermittent fault. Try to resist the temptation to apply too much armchair logic involving detailed consideration of the entire electrical system otherwise you'll convince yourself that the car needs scrapping!

What you need to do is some amateur tunnelling. The blower motor speed control module resides on the left hand side of the heating/AC unit close to the bulkhead so it's a case of sticking your head in the passenger footwell. Be prepared for considerable discomfort. You'll probably find a photograph elsewhere on the forum.

First remove the four pin connector and identify the brown and black wires. With the ignition switched off, bridge these two terminals on the connector. Now turn on the ignition and the blower should run continuously at maximum speed. This test can be performed the next time that the system fails you. If the blower runs, suspect the speed control module.

Another thing you can check is that the blower motor relay is seated properly and that its terminals are clean. You'll find this in the engine compartment fusebox labelled with a lovely graphic of fan blades.

Yet another check you can make is that the 40 amp fuse link (10) supplying the blower motor is screwed down firmly. Disconnect the battery negative cable* before working in this area though as this fuse is live all the time.

* Wait for the sat. nav. disc drive to shut down before disconnecting the battery.

Simon
Old 30th October 2018, 20:05   #8
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

Had a similar problem with mine last winter, ATC lit up ok but there was zero response from the fan to either an increase or decrease in the temperature setting. Mine was the under bonnet relay, can't for the life of me remember the number, but it's a yellow one it's the same type as the heated rear window relay, so I swapped them over and the heating has worked fine ever since. Interestingly, do has the hrw so I guess it was just a bad connection. Worth a try