Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th May 2019, 06:39   #41
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Yeah but that's french cars for you. Par for the course

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 17:00   #42
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
Quite shocked recently, saw a Citroen DS for sale for around 6k, ad said 100k miles. Now for me, a 62 reg car is almost brand new, it seems they get old quickly and depreciate even quicker.
I went to the car auctions at Bridgwater two weeks ago. Just to check on current car prices. Was very tempted and almost bought a Citroen DS, 2016 for £5,000. 28,000 miles.--1,200 cc engine, petrol.

It a strange fact but the Brits don't seem to like French cars. I've had several with no serious problems. Drops the price dramatically though at auction. Bargains to be had.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 19:23   #43
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I have had loads of second hand French cars, especially PSA with XUD engines, but also several Renaults, all cheap for what you get, and all remarkably tough and long-lived, with just the odd niggle. And I am currently loving being the owner of a 2003 Megane Mk1 Cabrio 1.6L, 16v. Peppy little engine, slick and positive gearbox, not immaculate, but respectable enough if a bit hairdresserish! 76,000miles, cost £575, and everything works properly. I wouldn't have the the next series of Renault's though, too much "clever" electronic stuff that broke. Nightmare!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2019, 10:06   #44
Rickoshea
Loves to post

Jaguar I Pace

Well a lot of criticism is those buying new cars so as someone whose last 9 cars have been bought new, I feel the need to support this position. The most important point is those of us who do buy new are the source of secondhand cars that most on here want - so like to think I am subsidising you lot and would expect some gratitude at my generosity (joke!)

The depreciation on a car is dependant on how long you hold it. We kept out MGF for 16 years so suffered depreciation of £1.3k p.a. - not too bad. We had our 75 estate for 11 years so depreciation of £2.3k p.a. - again something I can live with. We are trading in our 328i estate after 6 years and this will show a depreciation of £4.3k p.a. once we trade it in for a new I Pace.

I REALLY like to be able to spec the car to my exact requirements and am happy to pay for this privilege! Had amusing discussions with the BMW salesman who kept suggesting options because they were valued by secondhand buyers. I told him I was buying the car for me (and her!) and did not care a jot as to the next owner's requirements.

We are getting an electric car because I suspect the next set of wheels will be a mobility scooter and what better way to prepare? - coming in July - can't wait
Old 17th May 2019, 12:08   #45
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickoshea View Post
Well a lot of criticism is those buying new cars so as someone whose last 9 cars have been bought new, I feel the need to support this position. The most important point is those of us who do buy new are the source of secondhand cars that most on here want - so like to think I am subsidising you lot and would expect some gratitude at my generosity (joke!)
I could only find one bit of criticism Rick, and if it weren't for people like you buying new the rest of us wouldn't have such a good choice when buying second hand.

These days leasing is the way many people acquire their cars, and once in a contract it tends to lock you in and you end up renewing the lease every couple of years and getting a new car.

Not a bad way to pay for your motoring I suppose, but I'm far too tight for any of that malarkey.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2019, 13:34   #46
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
These days leasing is the way many people acquire their cars, and once in a contract it tends to lock you in and you end up renewing the lease every couple of years and getting a new car.

:
A bit like how people 'buy' their mobile phones these days. Everyone wants the brand new latest model, and after 18 months or more of paying, ends up with something almost worthless. Same with the car - you get it new, trading in your old banger first time, but then after three years of relatively maintenance free motoring (and a few hundred pounds per month), you own what? Next to nothing, so back on the treadmill with the next car. But if the monthly payments are not that much more than the depreciation, who is to say it's not the way to go?

Only poor people like me buy an old banger and then lavish it with all you have to make it that 'bargain' you always dreamed of! And how else can you ever own a car originally valued at as much as your house, if not buying it when rather old! I still remember the thrill of buying an old M5...and the BMW 750iL...not so much the Maserati! Pride in ownership? Hell yes! Joy in driving it? You bet! Paying the speeding fines? Not so much...
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Pueblo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2019, 14:42   #47
Rickoshea
Loves to post

Jaguar I Pace

I agree that buying something like a flash car on any form of "tick" is a mug's game - and I think any new car is "flash". We have always bought our cars for cash. That meant for the first few years of marriage we drove truly awful secondhand Vauxhall Viva estate before progressing to a wonderful secondhand Morris Marina! The only debt we have had in our 48 years of marriage is a mortgage and paid that off in our early 50s.

This has meant that now, in our dotage, we have a modest "wedge" that allows us to travel long haul (and maintain our BA Silver status!) as well as buy the odd new car. We have reach the stage where if we do not start wasting our money, the kids and Taxman will.