Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th August 2019, 18:55   #51
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
Using a tachograph or not is all about the 'gross train weight' of the combination i.e. the towing vehicle and trailer, when being used commercially, which I do for my business. Anything over 3500kg and it's a legal requirement.

My Discovery kerbweight is 2010kg (base model - so no air con, 7 seats, air suspension, etc. measured on a weigh bridge) so with my 3500kg gross transporter attached means I can be running at just over 5 tonnes, hence the need for a tacho to ensure everything remains legal and fully insured, just in case

Strictly speaking, I believe all 3.5t Transit type transporters that are fitted with a towbar, even if not actually towing a trailer, should have a tachograph if used for business purposes. Most of these have a max payload of 1300-1400kg, which is nothing more than an new Astra or Focus. A 75/ZT is cutting it fine, especially if it's a diesel or V6. Towing weight is generally around 2000kg on these, so once again, they should only ever tow small to medium sizd cars if using a twin axle trailer at 600-800kg.

It's rare that I ever get up to a total weight of 3.5t for my trailer, but will often be at 2500-3000kg.

Believe it or not, the Discovery TD5 can actually tow 4000kg if 'coupled brakes' are fitted. This was a special mod offered by Land Rover on Defenders and Discos, which added an additional pump to the engine and pipework to the rear, specifically to operate pneumatic brakes on the trailer, just like an HGV.

I've only ever seen pictures of the system and I think it was intended for large display type trailers with steering front axles, like you see at shows. The thought of 4 tonnes swinging off the back of mine fills me with dread...!!

Operator licences are also required for most business vehicles over 3500kg, but certain additional rules apply to 4x4's so this is not required in my case, kerbweight being under 2040kg - I had to explain this to a VOSA inspector a few years back, but after going away & checking, he eventually conceeded that I was correct (see the Road Traffic Act description of a dual purpose vehicle ). It's a complete minefield once you start getting indepth, and even those that are supposed to know the law inside-out can get it wrong....

Always found this a grey area or should I say a when you sat your driving licence area. Take my Neighbour, he drives a big Nissan 4x4 which weighs in at 2.5 Tonnes on the weigh bridge. His horse box weighs in at 1.35 tonnes. Each Horse is close to a tonne a piece. Two horses fit in the trailer this means that when fully loaded with two big beasts you can be looking at five people and their kit 500kg riding tack food and stuff is good for another 200kg. So the total weight of the fully laden combo is 6.5 tonnes.
Not to mention that the beasts can have a shake in the box whilst towing. Now I have seen hundreds of these things over the years.
Are they legal? I often see young people driving their toy Four wheel drive RVs with a horse box on the back coming down the village. I am willing to bet that 80% of them do not have the trailer add on they require on their licence, to pull their horse boxes. Their attitude is mum did it so I can do it. Many will be totally unaware of this requirement for younger drivers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2019, 23:03   #52
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Alanaslan - as long as the horses don't take the horsebox over it's gross weight (the most it'll ever be in the UK is 3500kg), and as long as the trailer isn't heaver than the maximum towing weight of their 4x4, then the 'combination' as it stands should be legal.

Whether the drivers you mention have the correct licence to tow a trailer is another matter however...

I'm not sure how true it is, but I believe that in a situation where the gross train weight (car & horsebox) is over 3500kg, if the driver receives any form of 'betterment' from the purpose for which they are towing, e.g. winning a trophy or even just a rosette in the horse trials, then legally they should be using a tachograph.
Old 20th August 2019, 06:20   #53
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

Did the car get saved?
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2019, 07:16   #54
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
Did the car get saved?
Hi Dawn.

It seems so as the seller as stated now sold & gone, I am sure the purchaser will say so when he or she is ready, it was to much of a bargain for it not to be collected by someone that's for sure.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2019, 07:16   #55
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
Did the car get saved?

Hopefully, it will make a nice tow car when repaired.... 🤣
Old 24th August 2019, 18:47   #56
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
Alanaslan - as long as the horses don't take the horsebox over it's gross weight (the most it'll ever be in the UK is 3500kg), and as long as the trailer isn't heaver than the maximum towing weight of their 4x4, then the 'combination' as it stands should be legal.

Whether the drivers you mention have the correct licence to tow a trailer is another matter however...

I'm not sure how true it is, but I believe that in a situation where the gross train weight (car & horsebox) is over 3500kg, if the driver receives any form of 'betterment' from the purpose for which they are towing, e.g. winning a trophy or even just a rosette in the horse trials, then legally they should be using a tachograph.

I have memories of putting my friend George’s Austin Gypsy in for its road test. It was a pain, as the vehicle was from a working farm but also went to market it had to be weighed each year. In order for it to make its weight we had to park around the corner from the weigh bridge take the seat out drain the oil out the diff and gearbox and engine drain the fuel tank and drop the coolant, start her up take out the battery and drive her around the corner to be weighed, even doing all that it was touch and go if you made the plated weight.
Thank goodness these days are over, I can never understand why plated weights are not wet weights. You would never get a diesel 75 down to its plated weight. Without taking the engine out and putting a moped under the bonnet.

Old 22nd November 2019, 22:17   #57
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

I was always under the impression that it was not about what you were towing weight wise that dictated whither a tachograph was required or not.
My understanding was if the vehicle could legally tow the weight, it had to have a tachograph fitted regardless.
I know that when work hired in vehicles they always had them fitted, I always had some discs in my diary, for when David handed me a set of keys and asked for a favour.

Old 23rd November 2019, 11:42   #58
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

You only need a tachograph fitted if the total weight is 3.5 tonnes or over. You don’t need one if you are privately towing a caravan.

Last edited by bl52krz; 23rd November 2019 at 11:45..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2019, 07:29   #59
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
You only need a tachograph fitted if the total weight is 3.5 tonnes or over. You don’t need one if you are privately towing a caravan.
As above, for private use such as caravanning, I don't believe a tachograph is required. But when used for business (or where there's any kind of reward or betterment) and the set-up goes over, OR can legally go over 3500kg, then a tacho is required and must be used.

My understanding is that it is thought that a private individual, on holiday for example, will take breaks if they get tired. Whereas a worker that is being payed by the hour may want to keep driving to earn more or to get home sooner, and hence increase the risk of an accident through fatigue.