Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th October 2019, 21:30   #41
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

You're close; three! But the number of belts isn't the issue. The challenge is that when the primary belt is released, all four camshafts move. Two sprockets then have to be held in a precise position (against valve spring force) whilst the new belt is threaded around the water pump, idler wheel, crankshaft and hydraulic tensioner. Trying to do that single-handed using Tippex marks really is a folly.

Simon
Old 13th October 2019, 18:11   #42
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Thinking about it, on the twin cam engines I have worked on, there was usually a way of locking the camshafts, either with a toothed insert between them or bolts through a spoke into the head. I always tippexed marked all sprockets, just in case I lost the timing/dropped the locking device. Some timing marks are very indistinct.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 18:31   #43
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

The tools for locking the camshafts in the KV6 are available from Rimmers at the bargain price of £318 + shipping! https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RX1609

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 18:55   #44
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
You're close; three! But the number of belts isn't the issue. The challenge is that when the primary belt is released, all four camshafts move. Two sprockets then have to be held in a precise position (against valve spring force) whilst the new belt is threaded around the water pump, idler wheel, crankshaft and hydraulic tensioner. Trying to do that single-handed using Tippex marks really is a folly.

Simon
I wonder if there is anyone on the forum with those tools and if they would hire them out to another forum member.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 19:05   #45
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
The tools for ... the KV6 are available from Rimmers at the bargain price of £318 + shipping!
If this is Laser Tools part no,. 4577 then it's the sensible choice at £190! (There are other options).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
... on the twin cam engines I have worked on, there was usually a way of locking the camshafts ..
The KV6 is, of course, a quad cam engine and there IS a way of locking the camshafts: use the service tools!
Quote:
I always tippexed marked all sprockets, just in case I lost the timing/dropped the locking device.
The KV6 service tools make Tippex marks redundant. They're unique in that they lock the camshafts but allow rotation of the sprocket wheels which greatly assists the belt lacing process. If you ever come to do it, you will understand what I mean.

Simon
Old 27th October 2019, 15:20   #46
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Talked to my mechanic and he also said that he can do the job without the tools but you can't get the timing 100% flawless without the special tools and I studied a little the issue and it makes perfect sense. He recommended me that I find the tools and buy them because at his supplier they cost about 250 euros, and I found them as new, never used, from a source I have in my home country, Romania. At the amazing price of 136 pounds plus shipping. If anyone is interested, I will buy and send them to each member that is in need of them, worth every penny as this is a job that everybody will eventually have to do at some time.

Last edited by Rsnail; 27th October 2019 at 15:30..
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2019, 17:31   #47
Mark Murphy
Regular poster

Rover 75, and Mg zt 1.8T

I found this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32827537300.html
Mark Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2019, 19:44   #48
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I'm never even looking anymore at chinese NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- no matter what it is or what it is used for, especially if it's car related. Done that mistake for some times and it always costs you a lot more in the end.
Old 28th October 2019, 22:30   #49
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
-If an engine becomes---Oil Starved---the first thing it will do is seize up.--
The top of the KV6 can become oil starved leading to tappet noise, tappet wear and worn camshafts. I had this. Cause yet to be determined - possibly combination of very very slightly damaged bottom end bearing and aging oil pump.

To the OP - I have read of a couple of cases of one of the pulleys on the secondary belts failing. You will see that one is an ordinary sprocket, the other incorporates a vibration damper. Of the two instances I have read, the rubber part holding the inner and outer parts of the damper pulley had failed. I don't know if any visible signs of failure must be there before any symptoms arise. But it is a known although rare problem. Possibly it is starting to fail (or could be something else entirely).
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2019, 12:00   #50
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Well the only logical hypothesis for the tappet noise would be either "clogged" or smudgy or dirty or name it how you want tappets because of oil residues or tappets wear that would be a cause, as you said, of an aging pump, which is highly unlikeable I guess and very rare, they rarely fail and when they do, you'll certainly know it haha. As I said, I added a Lukoil tappets additive which should clean the tappets and should be really good as I've read, but not even the slightest improvement to be heard. At this point it's still a guessing game, once the things are stripped down then I can see what's what. I ordered the timing tools and then I'll get to it, I hope it's just the secondary belts aging related wear causing the ticking and not one of the pulleys, especially the ones with the damper as you said, because they cost a small fortune