Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st January 2020, 11:21   #1
mgj11
Regular poster

MG ZT

Default Heater work for 30 minutes then goes cold

Hi wondering if anyone has had this problem and found out why. I set the heat to say 24C it get hot then after about 30 minutes blows cold air, this happens on all settings Aircon, Econ, man and auto. The aircon runs cold when needed and seems to work fine.
The engine temp is steady at just under half way.

2.5 V6 190+
mgj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2020, 11:50   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgj11 View Post
Hi wondering if anyone has had this problem and found out why. I set the heat to say 24C it get hot then after about 30 minutes blows cold air, this happens on all settings Aircon, Econ, man and auto. The aircon runs cold when needed and seems to work fine.
The engine temp is steady at just under half way.

2.5 V6 190+
are all the vents cold or just the driver's upper ones. This is normal after the interior has reached its desired temp.

An airlock (or sludge) could cause this, has it been flushed/refilled recently? Or have you had any coolant loss?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2020, 13:56   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

If the needle is just under halfway then your thermostat is sticking open, run the obd temperature display, this will give you an accurate figure of what temp your engine is at.
Old 31st January 2020, 14:47   #4
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
are all the vents cold or just the driver's upper ones. This is normal after the interior has reached its desired temp.

An airlock (or sludge) could cause this, has it been flushed/refilled recently? Or have you had any coolant loss?

When the ATC (automatic temperature control or climate control) gets up to temp, I always thought it worked badly as it would put out quite cold air through the face level air vents. This air was a little too cold for my taste.

The heater bypass - below the two center vents - was set to open (to the right - blue circle) and so was letting a cold air feed (from outside) blend with the current ATC temperature. This was causing the slight draughty cold air. Setting it to the left (bypass closed - white ring) and it shuts off this cold air feed and so is warmer (if set that way in the ATC).

Also, the rear console vents will only supply outside air, chilled by the air conditioning. So, in winter close these off to stop cold draughts.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2020, 16:58   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-things-first View Post
When the ATC (automatic temperature control or climate control) gets up to temp, I always thought it worked badly as it would put out quite cold air through the face level air vents. This air was a little too cold for my taste.

The heater bypass - below the two center vents - was set to open (to the right - blue circle) and so was letting a cold air feed (from outside) blend with the current ATC temperature. This was causing the slight draughty cold air. Setting it to the left (bypass closed - white ring) and it shuts off this cold air feed and so is warmer (if set that way in the ATC).

Also, the rear console vents will only supply outside air, chilled by the air conditioning. So, in winter close these off to stop cold draughts.
The top vents on the drivers side, face level, door and windscreen will be cooler than the passenger side, once the interior has reached its target temp.

I dont know what your issue is, just wishing to be clear, as I have seen others think that it is running cold, but it is a safety function of the atc to reduce drowsiness. Others were ready to pull out the matrix etc thinking the system was faulty when it was functioning correctly. It can get quite cold and draughty after a while. It was a good idea, but not implemented very considerately (in my opinion and experience).

If when this happens, and your foot well vents on both sides are blowing cold too, then you do have a problem. If they are warm, then it is this safety function operating. I dont drive long enough for it to happen much, but if I recall switching out of auto, will then allow the warmth to recommence from the drivers side.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Last edited by clf; 31st January 2020 at 17:01..
Old 31st January 2020, 18:45   #6
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
The top vents on the drivers side, face level, door and windscreen will be cooler than the passenger side, once the interior has reached its target temp.

I dont know what your issue is, just wishing to be clear, as I have seen others think that it is running cold, but it is a safety function of the atc to reduce drowsiness. Others were ready to pull out the matrix etc thinking the system was faulty when it was functioning correctly. It can get quite cold and draughty after a while. It was a good idea, but not implemented very considerately (in my opinion and experience).

If when this happens, and your foot well vents on both sides are blowing cold too, then you do have a problem. If they are warm, then it is this safety function operating. I dont drive long enough for it to happen much, but if I recall switching out of auto, will then allow the warmth to recommence from the drivers side.

Sorry, did not add a first line. Should have read "In addition to what was said above : ".

I don't have an issue with climate, only the OP. I was just adding extra detail to hopefully explain why it acts as it does.

I totally understand what you are saying. Simply turning the bypass wheel gives me warm air rather than the blend air, which I found draughty.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2020, 19:26   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-things-first View Post
Sorry, did not add a first line. Should have read "In addition to what was said above : ".

I don't have an issue with climate, only the OP. I was just adding extra detail to hopefully explain why it acts as it does.

I totally understand what you are saying. Simply turning the bypass wheel gives me warm air rather than the blend air, which I found draughty.
This is independent of the by pass wheel. Mine permanently closed anyway, but is set to be warm rather that bypassed.