Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th March 2020, 13:31   #31
alphaeagle
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi, MG ZT CDTi

Sorry to hear what happened.....glad you are fine....will have to check mine either today or tomorrow, as we are now in a state of lock down here in Ireland....

Rover 75 CDTi Copperleaf

Today is just yesterdays tomorrow.....
alphaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2020, 13:40   #32
75 tinkerer
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Arctic, I was suggesting the use of a Conformal Coating so that water on the PCB wouldn't short any tracks, there'd be no need to arrange for a flaming LCM to be removed at speed. I thought that many, probably most, members would not have any knowledge of it but that someone might have more insight or experience than I have.

As for cleaning PCBs, I'm sure that there are better cleaning agents available and processes (Ultrasonics), probably based on IPA, and yes, remove the thick deposits first but you'll find IPA is pretty good for that, you should probably avoid soap and water or Vim or abrasives. IPA evaporates quickly, takes seconds.

The satellite integration teams always had IPA to keep the satellites clean, this was a while ago….

I have heard that IPA can be used to clear traces of water, I'm not sure how that works, but if the water content is a worry then heat the PCB before applying the coating and this will also avoid condensation. However the LCM isn't going into space (like Teslas), at the moment the 75 doesn't go anywhere, and nor do I.

Pete
75 tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2020, 13:52   #33
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Pete.
Doesn't IPA still have a certain amount of water in it depending what ratio is used? I think 99% is the best you can get unless anyone knows of an 100% IPA

I would presume its best for any dust etc to be removed either by blowing or using an easel soft painting brush, if any electrical cleaner is used it is best to wait until it as dried or evaporated before re-fitting the electric component before using again.
Just been preparing to sort a hybrid TV module PCB that might be water 'damaged'. Found various bits of advice about cleaning - suprisingly, after removing loose dust ect. with a soft brush the recommendation is to give the board a good bristle scrub with WATER and then a final clean should be with denatured water to neutralise any salts around solder joints/components so to clean using an IPA with a slight water content is OK then an all over thorough blow-off with air from a cool setting hair drier and warm/dry aire for at least 24 hours before coating with a conformal spray. Got mine from RS (NB some coatings are restricted to 'professional' users due to the toxic evaporative carriers - just means they dry quicker really).
Any RF components/terminals (which are designed to be cooled) and connectors have to be masked.

Last edited by rab60bit; 28th March 2020 at 13:55..
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2020, 18:02   #34
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 tinkerer View Post
Arctic, I was suggesting the use of a Conformal Coating so that water on the PCB wouldn't short any tracks, there'd be no need to arrange for a flaming LCM to be removed at speed. I thought that many, probably most, members would not have any knowledge of it but that someone might have more insight or experience than I have.

As for cleaning PCBs, I'm sure that there are better cleaning agents available and processes (Ultrasonics), probably based on IPA, and yes, remove the thick deposits first but you'll find IPA is pretty good for that, you should probably avoid soap and water or Vim or abrasives. IPA evaporates quickly, takes seconds.

The satellite integration teams always had IPA to keep the satellites clean, this was a while ago….

I have heard that IPA can be used to clear traces of water, I'm not sure how that works, but if the water content is a worry then heat the PCB before applying the coating and this will also avoid condensation. However the LCM isn't going into space (like Teslas), at the moment the 75 doesn't go anywhere, and nor do I.

Pete
Hi Pete.
Thank you for your quick and precise answer, I have had some IPA in the shed for ages now and used it only a couple of days ago whilst cleaning the contacts on the reverse sensor ECU.

It was then that I looked it up a little, only to read it still as some water content so was really asking If it ok to use on LSM boards its seems so

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote