Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd May 2020, 09:41   #11
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Arrow A question

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
ALL chargers de-sulphate batteries. That's how you charge them.
Hello Jon,

I've noticed that you've made this point before and I'm wondering if the smart chargers with a "desulphation" stage are different to "ALL" chargers. This is what my C-Tek user's manual says:

"Step 1 Desulphation. Detects sulphated batteries. Pulsing current and voltage removes sulphate from the lead plates of the battery restoring the battery capacity."

Here are the waveforms:

Is the C-tek refreshing the parts other chargers cannot reach?

Simon
Old 22nd May 2020, 12:17   #12
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Jon,

I've noticed that you've made this point before and I'm wondering if the smart chargers with a "desulphation" stage are different to "ALL" chargers. This is what my C-Tek user's manual says:

"Step 1 Desulphation. Detects sulphated batteries. Pulsing current and voltage removes sulphate from the lead plates of the battery restoring the battery capacity."

Here are the waveforms:

Is the C-tek refreshing the parts other chargers cannot reach?

Simon
Hi there Simon.

Desulphation is a GENERIC expression. To understand what is going on you need to be more specific.

All chargers attempt to de-sulphate the battery they are attached to.
In a discharged battery both negative and positive plates become lead sulphate.--( PbSO4. )

That bit you quoted in the advertising.--( Detects sulphated batteries.--If a battery is not fully charged then it IS sulphated.-- )
EVERY battery that's not fully charged IS sulphated.---

It's the kind of sulphation that makes ALL the difference between a good battery and a dud.

Fresh sulphation is chrystaline with loosely bonded atoms. Passing 14 volts through it breaks it up and allows it to take part in a chemical action.--ie. The battery will start to charge.

Old sulphation slowly becomes compacted and the molecular bonding becomes stronger and stronger. 14 volts will no longer break this bonding and so it becomes impossible to charge the battery.

High voltage pulse charging has been tried to break this bonding. Not very successfully as it's like trying to cut a pane of glass in half by using dynamite.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2020, 13:16   #13
SD1too

Hello Jon,

Thank you for your explanation. I even understand it which is remarkable for someone who never got to grips with chemistry! Inevitably it has led to another question for you.

Once the sulphation ceases to be "fresh" and begins the strong molecular bonding you refer to, is that when the capacity of the battery reduces with the result that the "fully charged" LED on a simpler charger illuminates prematurely?

Simon
Old 22nd May 2020, 21:25   #14
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

’Last a lifetime ‘? Ctek? I don’t think so. My friend has had two and now is looking for another one. Last one let him down by allowing the battery to go flat.......... again. He keeps it connected in the garage with the proper connection. So last a lifetime? Certainly not I am afraid.
Old 23rd May 2020, 09:24   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Jon,

Thank you for your explanation. I even understand it which is remarkable for someone who never got to grips with chemistry! Inevitably it has led to another question for you.

Once the sulphation ceases to be "fresh" and begins the strong molecular bonding you refer to, is that when the capacity of the battery reduces with the result that the "fully charged" LED on a simpler charger illuminates prematurely?

Simon
Yes. The charger light says FULL but all that it is telling you is the part of the plate that can be charged has been charged.

The capacity of the battery is reduced progressively as the lead sulphate becomes compacted.

With that type of charger with red and green charging lights it is best to leave the charger on for 24 hours or more as it will actually, in some cases, put more electricity into the battery.

PS. I wrote out another post with some detail about PULSE charging but when I went to post it, it vanished. !!!!!!!--

Last edited by COLVERT; 23rd May 2020 at 09:32..
Old 23rd May 2020, 09:31   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
’Last a lifetime ‘? Ctek? I don’t think so. My friend has had two and now is looking for another one. Last one let him down by allowing the battery to go flat.......... again. He keeps it connected in the garage with the proper connection. So last a lifetime? Certainly not I am afraid.
There is one thing that can make a difference to the life of a charger.
It is important to disconnect the mains supply from the charger BEFORE disconnecting it from the battery.

Also, when charging, connect the charger to the battery BEFORE connecting the mains supply.

Doing things the opposite way around can cause electrical Spikes to pass through the battery charger. Some chargers don't react kindly to this and go into a sulk and refuse to work any more.--
Old 23rd May 2020, 09:45   #17
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

The more I read about what people say about simply looking after your battery the more I realise how much misinformation there is out there.

It's like when someone takes their car in for a service and to sort out a problem.---The mechanic say--Oh, it's a Rover 75 is it sir ??? They all do that.----.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg misinformation-everywhere.jpg (45.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 23rd May 2020, 09:52   #18
SD1too

Quote:
The capacity of the battery is reduced progressively as the lead sulphate becomes compacted.
Thanks Jon. So do you think that C-Tek's pulse charging desulphation stage is designed to break down only the early stages of compaction to, as they claim, "restore" the battery's capacity?

Simon
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:26   #19
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Yes, the early stages only. That's about all that it can do.

The higher voltages to reduce even harder compaction would, being DC voltages, become very dangerous to life and limb.-------------------
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:07   #20
SD1too

Quote:
Yes, the early stages only. That's about all that it can do.
Understood, thanks for your help Jon.

Simon