Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd May 2020, 07:19   #1
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Default ep message issue

whilst trying to sort out a strange issue with the automatic occasionally going into limp mode (ep on message cluster) after taking out the air box,whilst adjusting the gear actuator position i noticed the bleed screw had rotted away.Not sure but appears the top of the screw has just fallen off and the threaded bit left went into to hose. Ended up blocking it up with plastic screw plug which seems to be holding for now.
As for the ep fault, seems to happen on the odd occasion and when cold first start up.
I did replace the gear selector actuator switch a while back and that seemed to coincide with the start of the issue happening every now and then.
Switch the car off , restart and fault then clears and car runs fine.
Would the adjustment of the switch cause an “ep” fault to happened?

Last edited by genpk; 22nd May 2020 at 11:39..
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2020, 21:25   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
whilst trying to sort out a strange issue with the automatic occasionally going into limp mode (ep on message cluster) after taking out the air box,whilst adjusting the gear actuator position i noticed the bleed screw had rotted away.Not sure but appears the top of the screw has just fallen off and the threaded bit left went into to hose. Ended up blocking it up with plastic screw plug which seems to be holding for now.
As for the ep fault, seems to happen on the odd occasion and when cold first start up.
I did replace the gear selector actuator switch a while back and that seemed to coincide with the start of the issue happening every now and then.
Switch the car off , restart and fault then clears and car runs fine.
Would the adjustment of the switch cause an “ep” fault to happened?
The adjustment is just a coincidence, pull fuse 4 from the engine bay fusebox for a couple of minutes, this will reset the gearbox ecu, see what happens then?
Old 22nd May 2020, 22:07   #3
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

it did the ep thing a couple of weeks ago, again when cold , drove off normally
but had a strange faint sound whilst driving, after 5 minutes of driving lost gears
ep code comes up, switched car off, restarted it, all fine for next 5 weeks.
Yesterday, wife drove the car 300km perfectly, parked car over night, next morning (cold) drove about 1km, again ep code comes up ,lost drive. Switched car of restarted it,no code , drove fine back,then gave it a boot, ep code up again.
Re adjusted the actuator switch and its been driving ok since but dont trust it.
I wonder if i over filled the auto box last oil change as it was hard to get the car level for the fill point hole.
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:58   #4
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

My auto Tourer did this a few months back but i think all my issues were fuel pump related, which was getting quite noisy then just stopped. Changed for new one, also changed the tiny o-rings on the high pressure pump and it hasnt happened since. i too lost faith very quickly when the car left me broken down on way to work, with the EP warning and non-starting (thank goodness for AA). Good luck with sorting yours.
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2020, 09:03   #5
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge.g View Post
My auto Tourer did this a few months back but i think all my issues were fuel pump related, which was getting quite noisy then just stopped. Changed for new one, also changed the tiny o-rings on the high pressure pump and it hasnt happened since. i too lost faith very quickly when the car left me broken down on way to work, with the EP warning and non-starting (thank goodness for AA). Good luck with sorting yours.
i hope its that easy, mine starts perfectly every time, no issues with that.
the fuel gauge was not totally accurate the other day for a short time but has re corrected the level reading now.
Used the car today no probs, changes all smooth.Booted it, kicked down fine.
At a loss as to why it does the ep thing.
I have re adjusted the selector switch actuator slightly so not sure if that helped.
Only thing i can think is changed the auto oil a few weeks back, think i might have over filled it a little as it was hard to get the car level re drain level point.
edit - just drove the car 300km and the auto ran perfectly all the way.
The “ep” warning and total disengaging of the transmission at random times weeks apart has me baffled

Last edited by genpk; 24th May 2020 at 07:54..
Old 24th May 2020, 11:13   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Maybe a CAN bus issue? If the CAN bus controller fails then the Jatco ECU can't communicate with either the IPK or the ECM and the EP message flags up.

That wouldn't account for the transmission totally disengaging though - that is a separate issue.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 11:50   #7
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

This may not be the fault ,but many years ago I had an issue with my first 75 V6 auto when it would without warning lose drive and make a banging noise from the transmission . It sounded as if the gearbox was falling out or a driveshaft was broken and the EP light came on. Switching off the ignition and restarting cured it for a short while but it kept reoccurring . As the car was still under manufacturers warranty it was returned to the dealer who quickly diagnosed it as a poor earth in the N/S kick panel. I got it back the same day and never had the problem again.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 14:50   #8
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
This may not be the fault ,but many years ago I had an issue with my first 75 V6 auto when it would without warning lose drive and make a banging noise from the transmission . It sounded as if the gearbox was falling out or a driveshaft was broken and the EP light came on. Switching off the ignition and restarting cured it for a short while but it kept reoccurring . As the car was still under manufacturers warranty it was returned to the dealer who quickly diagnosed it as a poor earth in the N/S kick panel. I got it back the same day and never had the problem again.
That is interesting.
Did a check with Toaf and got a few things come up fault wise.
8D- ATS signal- telegram error or no telegram
Errors count-25
Invalid working area
Sporadic error
C7-Lever type sensor 1
Errors count 150
Short circuit to battery +
Sporadic error
also came up with and o2 heater sensor, the vis motors open and cooling fan 2
control circut fault.
Checked the fan on demist and it seemed to work ok so not sure there.
Oh for a t4 around here!!

edit- think the c7 lever sensor relates to the petrol gauge level sensor

Last edited by genpk; 24th May 2020 at 16:41..
Old 26th May 2020, 04:28   #9
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

for the info any, finally got the car up on ramp, jacked the rear end up so the car
was level, checked auto fluid level plug, and low and behold about a half a litre of fluid came out over the full level point.
Not sure if having to much fluid in the box would cause the “ep” error and loss of drive but the gear changes are now alot smoother and tighter.
My thoughts (and hopes) are maybe being as the ep fault seemed to always happen when starting off when the engine etc is cold, maybe the extra fluid plus
cold caused extra fluid pressure in the box causing the fault.
Time will tell!!
Old 26th May 2020, 07:20   #10
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Thanks for updating this Peter. Just to explain your question regarding fault codes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
... also came up with .... cooling fan 2
control circut fault.
Checked the fan on demist and it seemed to work ok so not sure there.
I imagine that you have a 2 speed fan with resistor. Your TOAF (and T4) expect to see a 3 speed fan so they think there's a fault with the medium speed (speed 2) when they get no response from it.

Simon