Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd July 2020, 17:00   #101
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
... have you double checked that 12v from the engine ecu is actually getting through at the pins ...
Yes we have Stefan, see post 79.

Simon
Old 3rd July 2020, 17:13   #102
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by goltho View Post
... I used the master switch C0749-5 output ... Alas, instead of the IPK light coming on and cruise working as before, when I pressed the set/accelerate paddle, it flashed once and the horn sounded.
What you effectively did there Dougie was to connect the cruise ECU C0239-1 and C0239-8 pins together. I wonder if placing a diode between them would solve the problem?

You could use C0749-1 instead. That's the supply to the master switch but C0749-1 will be live only when the engine is running which is effectively the experimental state you have at the moment. However this might not work either because you'd then have C0895-8 and C0239-1 connected together!

Simon
Old 3rd July 2020, 17:46   #103
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Yes we have Stefan, see post 79.

Simon
was the reading sufficient simon ? it all seams a little bewildering as to why it does not function.especially after changing of the interface as all the data requirements are there ... but are they in the right quantities ? or is something missing. have you ever known a kv6 180 sport auto without interlock ? there must have been a header in there at some point as dougie refers to a plug type fixing in there resembling a towing electrics plug affair. the header must have been removed unless a bespoke loom was made to order at assembly ... which i doubt very much. i cant see any towbar at the rear from the pictures and doubt if the interlock would have been removed for towing .. thats dangerous.! i wonder if the interlock circuit is incorporated with the cruise circuit at all. it may be possibly. what do you think simon ?

Last edited by xsport; 3rd July 2020 at 17:47.. Reason: i cant spell
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2020, 19:02   #104
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75

Quote:
there must have been a header in there at some point as dougie refers to a plug type fixing in there resembling a towing electrics plug affair. the header must have been removed...
According to Rave, MGR discontinued fitting interlocks except for a few overseas markets. In these cases, a solenoid is fitted at the bottom of the gear lever which prevents the lever being moved from Park unless the ignition switch is in position 2 and the foot brake is applied. My car does have an interlock but it's not connected to the brake. I don't know what it actually brings to the party though. A header has definitely not been removed - the wiring loom is virginal. It's just not there because it was only used for cars with cruise, parking sensors and the brake application of the shift interlock fitted.

Incidentally, the mated headers in the engine bay resembling towing electrics plugs, are still only headers albeit different shapes to the normal oblong ones. The only connection of interest to the project has been the digital signal from the ECM to the cruise interface saying "ok, I'm configured for you" which was only partially fitted in the factory. I had to extend it from where it had been capped off to the cruise interface.

Quote:
i wonder if the interlock circuit is incorporated with the cruise circuit at all
According to the diagrams, it is connected (somewhere) to the auto transmission (C0932-43). The cruise interface also connects to that pin, but both are inputs to the EAT.

Quote:
have you double checked that 12v from the engine ecu is actually getting through at the pins
The signal from the engine ECM is a digital variable square-wave voltage between 0-12v. It's not a standard +12v supply. That signal is getting through (it's specified in post #79 above).
• Built 08/02/2005 @14:57 hrs: Registered 26/08/2005
• 122nd of 141 built that day
• British Racing Green Pearlescent (HFF)
• Sandstone leather with black piping (SPJ)
• 136,000 miles

Last edited by goltho; 3rd July 2020 at 19:19..
goltho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2020, 19:12   #105
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75

Quote:
What you effectively did there Dougie was to connect the cruise ECU C0239-1 and C0239-8 pins together. I wonder if placing a diode between them would solve the problem?
Yes, most likely. I'd thought of using a SPST relay triggered by C0749-5 and making a supply (maybe spliced from fuse 41 which supplies the entire cruise system) to C0239-1? Do you think it still might be susceptible though? A diode would certainly clean it up.

Quote:
You could use C0749-1 instead. That's the supply to the master switch but C0749-1 will be live only when the engine is running which is effectively the experimental state you have at the moment. However this might not work either because you'd then have C0895-8 and C0239-1 connected together!
I didn't like the thought of a common connection there either.

Dougie.
• 136,000 miles
Old 3rd July 2020, 22:39   #106
SD1too

Quote:
i wonder if the interlock circuit is incorporated with the cruise circuit at all. it may be possibly. what do you think simon ?
According to the wiring diagram there's no interconnection between the cruise control and the shift interlock ECU.
Quote:
My car does have an interlock but it's not connected to the brake.
My 75 is very early, built in May 1999, and there's no interlock either with the ignition switch or the brake pedal, so maybe I don't have the interlock ECU.

Quote:
I'd thought of using a SPST relay triggered by C0749-5 and making a supply (maybe spliced from fuse 41 which supplies the entire cruise system) to C0239-1? Do you think it still might be susceptible though?
Wouldn't that also connect C0895-8 to C0239-1 (which you've already tried when the master switch is closed)?

Simon
Old 3rd July 2020, 22:58   #107
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75

Quote:
My 75 is very early, built in May 1999, and there's no interlock either with the ignition switch or the brake pedal, so maybe I don't have the interlock ECU.
I'm sure the interlock has no bearing on the issue. I'm still not sure I have one - there's an ECU bolted to the bottom of the driver's side A pillar where they were fitted but I can't see what it is without removing it. I've no intention of doing so unless I have to!

Quote:
Wouldn't that also connect C0895-8 to C0239-1 (which you've already tried when the master switch is closed)?
Well would it any more than using the experimental supply? I mean, everything ultimately is powered from the same source in the end. I obviously understand there is an issue with powering directly from the feed i.e. C0749-5 but I don't know the cause of it (do you?). My reasoning for the relay idea was that if C0749-5 was used only to activate the coil, it's such a low current that it shouldn't give a problem. The power source to C0239-1 activated through the relay can come from any suitable fused source.

My reasoning though is based on incomplete knowledge of what's causing the problem, so I can't know if that's feasible. A diode on the other hand is a one-way street and would provide the solution from the existing master switch. I guess I know which way I'm going. I have used Schottky diodes successfully before on projects. Their power drop is lower than standard diodes and they have faster switching speeds.

Dougie.
• 136,000 miles

Last edited by goltho; 8th July 2020 at 09:39..
Old 7th July 2020, 11:11   #108
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75

Simon,

One VIS motor is currently away at Stocktake's for repair so I've not been able to try out the diode yet. It's connected and awaiting the test though.

Do you know the reason why the ECU doesn't like sharing the same switch with the interface? I'd like to understand it.

I've reassembled the car's interior and apart from the radio still being out to let me finalise the switching, it looks tidy again.

Dougie.
• 136,000 miles
Old 7th July 2020, 11:31   #109
SD1too

Quote:
Do you know the reason why the ECU doesn't like sharing the same switch with the interface?
No, I don't Dougie. No-one does. It depends upon the circuitry which lurks behind the two connections on the cruise ECU and upon what's happening in the interface unit. It's certain to be complex and protected by corporate confidentiality.

Simon
Old 9th July 2020, 21:54   #110
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75

So I fitted the diode between the master switch feed C0749-5 and the cruise ECU C0239-1 to see if that eliminated the electronic brain f@rt which occurred when the set/accelerate button was pressed (horn tooted/IPK cruise light flashed as per post #97). It still didn't like it. The ECU is therefore powered by its very own fused 12v ignition-controlled supply as I could not be bothered to pursue the matter any further. Choose your hills on which to die, I say.

I did a 20-mile cruise test this afternoon after adjusting the throttle cable to take up slack which seemed to me to be causing a small pick-up delay when the vacuum pump kicked in (it was). It's perfect.

It's been a challenge but glad I did it. Couldn't have done it with the forum though. Thanks for everyone's input.

Dougie.
• 136,000 miles

Last edited by goltho; 9th July 2020 at 21:57..