Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th November 2020, 18:15   #1
Alex D
Regular poster

1999 Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur SE, 1998 Rover 825 Sterling

Default Maniacal HGV driver

Was nearly involved (sort of) in a head on crash on the way home from college this afternoon.

I was slowing down to turn left off a main road and onto the road to the village where I live. A van was waiting to turn right at the junction. He sees me slowing and indicating so pulls out. wagon driver behind me decides to overtake instead of slowing down behind me and nearly goes ploughing into the van. ABS on the truck going like the clappers. How he didn't see the van pulling out I cannot fathom.

The standard of driving these days is shocking. Especially from a 'professional' driver.
Alex D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2020, 19:22   #2
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Sorry to hear about this and glad to know that you & the van driver are OK.

Sadly, IMHO, the standards of most things is falling at a dramatic rate and driving is somewhere near the top.

It's no excuse but I wonder what pressures the driver is under to meet targets/delivery times etc. etc.

A phrase I've heard and used is:

"If you want someone to make mistakes, put them under a tight time deadline"

Alternatively the driver could just be thinking "I'm big and you're little so you WILL give way and if there's a collision I'm high up in something very heavy so I'm unlikely to get badly hurt."

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 6th November 2020 at 19:26..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2020, 19:43   #3
Alex D
Regular poster

1999 Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur SE, 1998 Rover 825 Sterling

Yes drivers are certainly put under a lot of pressure to meet deadlines. My dad is a lorry driver and has told me about the crazy amount of work he sometimes has to do. Doesn't help that some of places reject the goods if you arrive after your delivery slot.

As this happened on a Friday afternoon not far away from the haulage company's yard my guess is that the driver just wanted to get home for the weekend or was running out of time on his tacho. Still no excuse though.
Alex D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2020, 09:16   #4
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

That van should never have made that turn until you have actually done so. if I am at a junction and a car indicates too turn left, then I will make sure he has done so.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2020, 09:56   #5
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Yes... in this over consuming world and when people must av th newest fad yesterday corners will be sadly cutt. Can th consumer pay that little extra so safety is applied for all??

Saw this on th back of a lorry th other day. "If you don't like trucks, stop buying stuff".

Th high way code says.

DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example

approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road.

Im glad everyone is ok.
Old 8th November 2020, 16:08   #6
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow View Post
Yes... in this over consuming world and when people must av th newest fad yesterday corners will be sadly cutt. Can th consumer pay that little extra so safety is applied for all??
The driver in question made a split second decision and got it wrong thankfully everyone around him came to no harm. Whether he considered the risks or regretted that decision are debatable.
The question of pressure to meet a deadline should not be an issue, as it is far better to be late than never arrive at all. The point of consumers paying a little more is fanciful because unfortunately extra money wouldn't make a poor driver have any more consideration for those around them.
Driving a truck is a thankless task.
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2020, 10:09   #7
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

If more time was given then surely less risk would occur... But agree that there is bad driving from all vehicles on th road. Everyone thinks they are a good driver... I always say "im still learning to expect th un expected".

"Driving a truck is a thankless task". (Indeed that why everyone is "rushing" to do it for a living)

Last edited by Phil th Barrow; 10th November 2020 at 10:13..
Phil th Barrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2020, 10:29   #8
GJ53 DGO
Gets stuck in

MG-ZT 260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Sorry to hear about this and glad to know that you & the van driver are OK.

Sadly, IMHO, the standards of most things is falling at a dramatic rate and driving is somewhere near the top.

It's no excuse but I wonder what pressures the driver is under to meet targets/delivery times etc. etc.

A phrase I've heard and used is:

"If you want someone to make mistakes, put them under a tight time deadline"

Alternatively the driver could just be thinking "I'm big and you're little so you WILL give way and if there's a collision I'm high up in something very heavy so I'm unlikely to get badly hurt."
Or alternatively could be thinking 'as I am on the main road it is my right of way therefor the van pulling out from the side road ought to stay where he is' While there will always be the proverbial 'bad egg' in any industry, I feel that the roads would be a lot safer if upon passing a car test every driver was made to take a lesson in a loaded truck to see the issues we HGV drivers have and hopefully in the majority of cases it would open car drivers eyes to the issues we face daily on the roads.

Last edited by GJ53 DGO; 18th November 2020 at 10:45..
GJ53 DGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2020, 10:53   #9
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex D View Post
Was nearly involved (sort of) in a head on crash on the way home from college this afternoon.

I was slowing down to turn left off a main road and onto the road to the village where I live. A van was waiting to turn right at the junction. He sees me slowing and indicating so pulls out. wagon driver behind me decides to overtake instead of slowing down behind me and nearly goes ploughing into the van. ABS on the truck going like the clappers. How he didn't see the van pulling out I cannot fathom.

The standard of driving these days is shocking. Especially from a 'professional' driver.
First off, the van driver should not pull out until you had completed your turn and the HGV had gone past. If the road was then clear at that point then the van driver can start his next move.

The HGV should keep a longer distance but often the load dictates the amount. For instance, 38 tonnes of steel piping/bars on the back of a flatbed will, on heavy braking, travel through the cab. One would have to strap the load down correctly. Of course this does not apply on gently braking.

So, two bits of poor driving driving!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2020, 11:18   #10
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ53 DGO View Post
...... I feel that the roads would be a lot safer if upon passing a car test every driver was made to take a lesson in a loaded truck to see the issues we HGV drivers have and hopefully in the majority of cases it would open car drivers eyes to the issues we face daily on the roads.

Can I add go onto 2 wheels, both bicycle and motorbike........

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote