Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th January 2021, 21:02   #41
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
The thing that people assume is a dust cover is actually the chamfered tip of the white spring-loaded insert/plunger - it's on the left in this pic.

Thank you Mr BLINK, most edifying.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2021, 14:08   #42
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Wink Reminder!

Resurrecting this thread once more to add a cautionary note.
Had a job to get my ignition key in the barrel this morning, eventually went in but did not go in easily. So up to the garage and came back armed with Plusgas, brake/carb cleaner and tissue paper, a squirt of Plusgas down the barrel and tried the key, it went in, kept pushing it in and out, cleaning off dirty Plusgas on the key each time. This was followed by several squirts of cleaner until I was happy all was clean.

Result is the key now goes in nice and easily, would try just cleaner next time to clear dust and dirt from the barrel, and don't use any oil/grease as this will attract dirt in my opinion.
As these cars get older any slight difficulty in putting the ignition key in could simply be cured by using brake cleaner.

I think I was very lucky that I remembered the problems Blink had and I caught mine just in time, and as Trikey says, there is no obvious dirt cover on the barrel unlike door locks. I intend to use cleaner on mine on a regular basis now, hope this helps.

Martyn
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2021, 14:22   #43
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire View Post
Resurrecting this thread once more to add a cautionary note.
Had a job to get my ignition key in the barrel this morning, eventually went in but did not go in easily. So up to the garage and came back armed with Plusgas, brake/carb cleaner and tissue paper, a squirt of Plusgas down the barrel and tried the key, it went in, kept pushing it in and out, cleaning off dirty Plusgas on the key each time. This was followed by several squirts of cleaner until I was happy all was clean.

Result is the key now goes in nice and easily, would try just cleaner next time to clear dust and dirt from the barrel, and don't use any oil/grease as this will attract dirt in my opinion.
As these cars get older any slight difficulty in putting the ignition key in could simply be cured by using brake cleaner.

I think I was very lucky that I remembered the problems Blink had and I caught mine just in time, and as Trikey says, there is no obvious dirt cover on the barrel unlike door locks. I intend to use cleaner on mine on a regular basis now, hope this helps.

Martyn
Do you think electrical contact cleaner would do the job?

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2021, 15:10   #44
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Wink

Quite possibly, I only had brake cleaner and I can only say it seems to have worked for me, only time will tell. I see no reason it should work, it's a cleaner and it evaporates off quickly, worth a try If you've got similar problems.

Martyn

Last edited by squire; 21st February 2021 at 15:11.. Reason: Correction
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2021, 18:53   #45
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

ACF 50 keeps corrosion at bay. I do mine at the start of every winter. Also use it in the push fit connectors. Great stuff.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 22nd February 2021, 16:19   #46
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Funnily enough my ZTT is doing the exact same thing. The car has stood for the best part of 2 years. I think the white plunger sticks in the withdrawn position and thus won't lock the steering wheel.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 07:00   #47
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
I've now got the original barrel back in. It took 40 minutes and over ten attempts.

Here's what I've learnt (and haven't learnt).

Releasing barrel from steering column

The barrel is held in place by the spring-loaded locking arm which locates in a groove running round the inside of the column socket. (NB. This groove is not visible in any of my pics). When the ignition key is at position 1, the paperclip lines up with the hole in the locking arm - the arm retracts as the clip slides into the hole. Once the arm is clear of the groove the barrel can be withdrawn from the column.

Refitting barrel to steering column

This is what I did and it eventually worked.

Using a flat screwdriver turn the rectangular hole in the centre of the column socket anti-clockwise as far as it will go. Make a mental note of the angle of the hole.

This is the steering lock ring - it's spring-loaded. Push it towards the centre of the car with a screwdriver and turn the steering wheel until the steering lock is off - the ring will not spring outwards again.

Take the ignition key out of the barrel. Push the white plunger back into the barrel until it locks and doesn't spring out again.

Offer the barrel up to the column and rotate until the raised section (1st pic below) lines up with the 'keyway' in the socket (2nd pic below).

Without changing the barrel position, rotate the transponder ring so that the connector is in between these two lugs (3rd pic below).

Push the barrel into the socket making sure the arm retracts as the barrel goes in (the arm may need helping with a flat screwdriver) - keep pushing the barrel with one hand.

This is the tricky bit. With the other hand put the ignition key in and turn slowly until you feel the rectangular protrusion (arrowed below) line up with the rectangular hole in the column socket. As soon as the two are in line the barrel will go all the way in and the locking arm will spring out into the groove - the barrel is now locked in.

What I haven't learnt

1. Why the key jammed up in the first place.
2. Where has the keyhole dust cover gone.
3. Whether this barrel is faulty or not.
4. Whether this barrel can be trusted - i.e. will the steering lock come on when it shouldn't and/or will the key jam up again.

Going by the condition of the lock in the pictures the lock needs a good clean I would recommend a product called Cabba Lock Cleaner used to come in a small yellow pump can with blue writing on it. spraying deep into the lock then sliding the key out wiping it clean a dozen or so times then spray it again and repeat until the lock is clean and free moving. If you also put a couple of pumps into the door barrel and the boot barrel if you have one.
This product is magic we came across it about fifty years ago when we were maintaining the lockers in a wet and dry sports center that had 450 cabba 8 locks in the dry side and 350 cabba locks in the dry side shortly after we took over the maintenance there had been a spate of thefts on the wet side, somebody had gained access to the lockers by magic no tooling marks it looked like they had been opened by a key. we did catch the person responsible we don't know how but he had got hold of a suite master key and had just been opening customers lockers removing their cash and car keys then either that night or a few days later the customers car would be lifted from their drive along with TVs and other high end stuff from inside their house.

To be sure the thefts we replaced every lock in the wet side the barrels had been upgraded to 20 operating pins from the 8 pins of the older locks.
due to the number of moving parts in such a small area within the barrel of the lock they became sticky very quickly and we had to find a way to lubricate the barrels whilst we had a case of cabba lock cleaner on order some kind minded member of staff took it upon himself to spray all the locks with WD40 causing an overnight jamming of 85% of locks in the whole center. the engineering team to have to remove every lock in the building and clean them in IPA when the cabba lock cleaner arrived every lock in the whole building was treated to a pump of cleaner every 3 months this cured the problems of sticky locks and got the bad man who had been lifting the money and the cars got an 8 year jail sentience. Not nearly enough in my opinion for the misery he had caused to so many people.
From this episode I took away that cabba lock cleaner was the best product for preventative maintenance of locks. I know the building to this day still carry out this simple spray maintenance today and have little problems with their locks. I still have a wee tin with a dribble of the magic stuff in the bottom of it. I had thought it would see me out but it is beginning to look more and more like I will need to buy a new tin. be warned the stuff is not cheep a wee tin can set you back £20 though it is a good investment.
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 16:58   #48
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
Going by the condition of the lock in the pictures the lock needs a good clean I would recommend a product called Cabba Lock Cleaner used to come in a small yellow pump can with blue writing on it.

I'm assuming its this one Alan ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KABA-Cyli...wAAOSw3pVZ1PBD
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2021, 03:22   #49
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
Hi David,
Not sure the country of origin is correct. the ones we got I think were 100 ml and in a little yellow/ Orange tin and when you pushed the button down you pushed air into the can and it squirted out one dose. Old age is bad I was sure it was Caba but you are spot on the company is called Kaba. I will try to find my wee tin in the mess I call a garage. Took delivery of the last of the parts on Saturday for the restoration of the spice tourer, all I need is the weather and health to replace the full braking suspension and steering system plus a few other little bits like the inner wing liners and stuff, also a full set of door cards to get them back from the mixture fitted to all being sandstone cards.
I have ordered a can of this spray listed above as it seems a fantastic price I am sure we were paying twice that for half as much. Will post if its the stuff when it arrives and I find my wee can.
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2021, 12:42   #50
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
Hi David,
Not sure the country of origin is correct. the ones we got I think were 100 ml and in a little yellow/ Orange tin and when you pushed the button down you pushed air into the can and it squirted out one dose. Old age is bad I was sure it was Caba but you are spot on the company is called Kaba. I will try to find my wee tin in the mess I call a garage. Took delivery of the last of the parts on Saturday for the restoration of the spice tourer, all I need is the weather and health to replace the full braking suspension and steering system plus a few other little bits like the inner wing liners and stuff, also a full set of door cards to get them back from the mixture fitted to all being sandstone cards.
I have ordered a can of this spray listed above as it seems a fantastic price I am sure we were paying twice that for half as much. Will post if its the stuff when it arrives and I find my wee can.
Hi Alan have taken you up on your advice and ordered same from Amazon £18,it would appear to have all the descriptive actions that you mentioned so I'm certain it must be the right item.
As for my stuck barrel I'm going to remove and thoroughly clean as recommended.
Whilst on the subject of cleaner (slight digressing)it suddenly struck me that my fuel has been standing car now for over 14months and must be quite stale, Stale fuel has been known to cause problems especially gumming up, whereas with stale diesel you can and I have experienced it, brown seaweed type contamination of the fuel making it useless. Most additives state they must be used with clean fuel, but one I came across named "Startron" is recommended for stale fuel and guarantees rejuvenation and improves overall quality of old fuel. Comes highly recommended. Mention it in the hope of preventing further problems for members with laid up cars. Small bottle can treat up to 48 gallons of petrol. Regards Derek
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.

Last edited by Caskin; 24th February 2021 at 12:43.. Reason: edit
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote