Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd February 2021, 11:12   #21
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
New Jags are not pretty inside, they are (the ones I've gotten my hands on) god damn awful. Jaguar, I associate with class and being prestige. The are disappointing. I don't find a "black" interior befitting a prestige car, it is not class. Jaguars are not alone with "black" interiors, it is common across the industry.

macafee2
When ordering a new Jag (which I never will) you do have the option of at least 4 colour palettes - it just seems that folk like black. Personally I don't.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 14:17   #22
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Let's be honest folks, most of the car manufacturers do not want your car to last. So long as it outlasts their warranties (which are often not what you think that they are) they will be happy to sell you another car to replace it! I've heard of some cars which have started to rust through and the warranty was said to be invalid as it was in an area where salt and road gravel could get to!!! How many owners ever get under their vehicles to have a look? I often check sars for sale on the MOT check site and the number of "advisories" that don't get sorted between MOTs is shocking!
Old 22nd February 2021, 16:34   #23
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Let's be honest folks, most of the car manufacturers do not want your car to last. So long as it outlasts their warranties (which are often not what you think that they are) they will be happy to sell you another car to replace it! I've heard of some cars which have started to rust through and the warranty was said to be invalid as it was in an area where salt and road gravel could get to!!! How many owners ever get under their vehicles to have a look? I often check sars for sale on the MOT check site and the number of "advisories" that don't get sorted between MOTs is shocking!
In the 50s and 60s cars rusted. Manufacturers cured this because we made a fuss. In the 70s and 80s they had dodgy cambelts, and then along came many electrics which we did not ask for, followed by sensors which cause more trouble than they are worth. Thus idiots keep returning to main dealers and the process starts again. No cars produced in the last 10 years will ever reach classic status, and don't get me started on electric vehicles! The fact that over 90% of all Rolls Royces and Bentley ever built are still on the road says it all.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 16:52   #24
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I like your analogy of the big club. If they all fall to bits after around 8 years, just think of the income generated. Robbery without the violence comes to mind. Plus just think of the profits generated by selling all the spares if you have not got a warranty for the first 6 years is it.(copyrights)
Old 22nd February 2021, 18:50   #25
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

I have to agree with the comments people are making.

I remember as an apprentice back in the 1970s, when I was even younger than I am now, we had the discussion about this topic at night school.

It was the opinion of the lecturer, that the lack of corrosion prevention was a deliberate ploy by motor industry to keep sales going.
That was with technology available then.
We can all remember how the cars rusted back then. It wasn't just British Leyland, it was European, American and those from the Far East (only available in a Japanese flavour back then). But Volvo, for example, managed it.

It seems a shame that, despite the technology available today, we seem to be reverting back to those days.
But, there again, there has been a lot of advances in aerodynamics, but people prefer to drive around in bricks.

I am surprised that I can remember anything from night school, as at the Friday night one, my mind was on other things.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 19:57   #26
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

As for buying cars unseen....
Sometimes it’s a gamble that you have to take.

Coming from NI, I have travelled across the pond several times, either to get a better deal or mainly, because there is just something on the mainland thats what I’m after, that rarely turns up over here.

On inspection, if things weren’t right, it’s not so easy to walk away. Not when you’ve no yolk to take you home from the middle of nowhere!
When you make the decision to view, you’re almost committed.😯

So that usually means asking the right questions, lots of questions, and trusting the seller!😱

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 22:57   #27
mcd840
Gets stuck in

Nissan NV300 Tekna 170 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
In defence of X Types (of which I am the proud owner of 4) they only shared 11% of Mondeo components. I originally went for them because I wanted a 4 wheel drive vehicle, but not a Chelsea Tractor, and they certainly fit that bill. They handle fantastically, and were the true successor to the Mark2 Jaguar - a compact sporting saloon.
Very annoying when people compare it to a Mondeo isnt it ? When people used to say that I would tell them to go and sit inside a Mondeo and then come back to me with a comparison, the x type is a much classier comfortable place to be although I am a fan of the ghia x Mondeo. Lets not forget the fact that the interior build quality of a facelift 75 which I can best describe in my experience as a pile of sh*te.

Last edited by mcd840; 22nd February 2021 at 23:02..
mcd840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 21:43   #28
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

I have a Jaguar XF Diesel R -Sport 2018 model and have no trouble with it at all.. now on 37000 miles, everything works and a service every two years and low road tax £150 and does around 550 miles per tank of Derv.

I switch back and forth with my 330000 mile Rover 75 Diesel tourer ive also owned from new and thats still going also. I find the modern Jags ok and not problem ish..... its the second hand market which is the lemons issue......

The Jaguar XF R-sport is the 180 Brake horse power model and extremely quick even out of sport and Sport S auto mode. Drop it into Sport dynamic and the suspension solidifies and the handling is out of this world. In regards to interior i have a car with a slightly rare interior with black and white leather interior which are heated and cooled seats.

so i dont have the experience of Jaguars playing up all the time , mine certainly have not including my Jaguar XJ50 zero trouble with that too.

My Rover 75 is now starting to cost some revamp money, nothing too bad.. reverse light switch went last week, easy fix and whilst its in there.. i will get the thermostat done as thats now stuck open since that cold snap around two weeks back. I must say though zero welding on the R75 and i replaced all the suspension and the arms in 2019 and revamp all of it, best money i spent. It drives like a dream even now at 330.000 miles. The tail gate issues which club members raise alot, never had any trouble with mine and the tailgate window operates as it did when brand new.

I still keep the R75 on the road even though we have enough cars not to use it ever again... but i cant decommission her its like a family pet....... brought all the kids up in her all three of them and one of them is 20 years old now... I have pictures of the kids next to that car at the seaside standing only 2 feet tall, now two of my sons stand 6 foot 3 inches......i look back on the family albums....next to the seaside ......the Rover 75 is always there.... i just can't imagine life without the trusty ROVER 75 TOURER DIESEL.......EVER!!!

My sons drive two brand new MG3 cars and they have had zero trouble with them too, and surprisingly cheap to run and very good handling too .....as they have been brought up on British car marques

Last edited by Olde faithful; 23rd February 2021 at 21:47..
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2021, 03:45   #29
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

I was looking under a 3 year old, 36,000 mile Skoda Fabia a few weeks ago (belongs to the wife of a member on here) and was amazed at the depth of stone chip & seam seal, and the thickness of steel used for suspension arms - very impressive.

The only surface rust I could see was slight and on a small body brace, across the exhaust tunnel.

Thinking back to how Skoda and Jaguar were placed, say 40 years ago (....who remembers the Estelle....), I know which one I'd be buying tomorrow