Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd May 2021, 18:00   #11
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

I guess im lucky ( up to a point tho) the studs in question are not splined but simple double ended threaded type studs. the 1.8 turbo has a cast iron manifold held in place by 5 of these studs that on this particular engine seem to be pretty soft. the ones that have sheared have gone in the same place. exactly where the gasket is , so I am guessing theres been a leak that has contributed to the problem. due to the lack of space i am waiting for a flexible drive to attempt drilling out, and will update once success or failure gives me something to report.
euro44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2021, 16:56   #12
euro44
Avid contributor

partial update--- have now got what i hope is the gear to solve the problem. strangely the haynes manual says to remove what looks like more than is really required. all the full studs came out leaving two snapped off level with the head surface to drill and easy out ( fingers crossed the flex drive idea works ) am i wrong in thinking i can just drop the manifold and exhaust enough to access the stud holes? can i not fit the studs through the manifold ( supported by a jack) and then fit the nuts? incidentally the gasket showed considerable carbon deposits so appears it was leaking .
Old 26th May 2021, 20:34   #13
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Through the manifold if you've got the broken bits out.--YES.

To screw the new studs in you'll need to lock two nuts together on one of the studs threaded ends. Then you can screw the new studs in. They really don't need to be very tight either.

Brass nuts are the best to use as well to help avoid seizure by corrosion.

Electrolysis won't be a problem.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2021, 17:21   #14
euro44
Avid contributor

thanks for the conformation. managed one stud that took 10 hss bits so have ordered tct bits for the next one. using flex drive slow speed and lots of lube. fingers crossed.
Old 10th June 2021, 20:44   #15
euro44
Avid contributor

further update for anyone with same problem. due to such little room between the broken stud and the aircon pipe and radiator ( only 5 inches clearance )tried a flex drive and tct 3mm bit. this started to work but the extreme angle the flex drive had to work at broke it before the drilling was complete. got a 90 degree right angle drive and this succeeded. cheap chinese easy outs proved useless so following advice from the proper engineers on here i used a t25 torque bit hammered into the drilled hole and this worked a treat, out came the final offending bit of broken stud. now to put it all back together.
Old 11th June 2021, 08:30   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro44 View Post
further update for anyone with same problem. due to such little room between the broken stud and the aircon pipe and radiator ( only 5 inches clearance )tried a flex drive and tct 3mm bit. this started to work but the extreme angle the flex drive had to work at broke it before the drilling was complete. got a 90 degree right angle drive and this succeeded. cheap chinese easy outs proved useless so following advice from the proper engineers on here i used a t25 torque bit hammered into the drilled hole and this worked a treat, out came the final offending bit of broken stud. now to put it all back together.
Very pleased to see you've got a horrible job out of the way.--Well done.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote