Notices

Old 14th January 2022, 13:44   #71
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Yes, spot on re lack of infrastructure. But it needs expanding again if they want to transfer from the road. Nothing to stop them carrying the lorries except perhaps some bridge heights.

Kev
Unfortunately it would be more than some bridges. The only section of railway in the UK that can accommodate them is the Eurotunnel between Folkstone and the tunnel. Carrying lorries on rail vehicles is outside the UK loading gauge, every bridge, tunnel and overhead power line would have to be raised.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2022, 23:09   #72
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Simon - the issue is that their efforts are usually futile because the speed differential isn't sufficient to get one lorry quicker to its destination than the other. Most of the time it would be far better to dial the cruise back a couple of notches and match the speed of the lorry in front than to overtake.
Well that's just plain wrong. You may be surprised to know just what difference a speed gap of 2 or 3 mph will make on a long tramp, say from London to Manchester. It can make the difference between arriving at your time-booked destination on time or late (entailing getting put to the back of the queue or even being turned away) or making it there within your 4.5 hour maximum driving time without having to take a 45 minute break en-route.

And if you really think lorry drivers are going to rank up behind the slowest lorry forming a miles-long train of HGV's, l suggest you give your head a prolonged wobble.

That's not to say that there are no bl**dy-minded lorry drivers out there, that won't give way when being overtaken by a slightly faster truck but you have to take the rough with the smooth when vehicles are speed-governed. And when they start speed limiting vans too, you'll be recalling with nostalgia the days when it was just the lorries holding you back.
And the comment on middle lane hoggers is particularly relevant too. Personally, these days when it is so endemic amongst the driving public, l simply pass on the inside without a qualm.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2022, 23:14   #73
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rovering Member View Post

And if you really think lorry drivers are going to rank up behind the slowest lorry forming a miles-long train of HGV's, l suggest you give your head a prolonged wobble.

The only possible response to that is the same response that I would give to a car driver who tries to justify speeding on the need to get somewhere. Leave a little earlier!

Guess what will happen if/when we end up with an electrified lane on motorways for the lorry EV's.
Old 14th January 2022, 23:30   #74
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
The only possible response to that is the same response that I would give to a car driver who tries to justify speeding on the need to get somewhere. Leave a little earlier!

Guess what will happen if/when we end up with an electrified lane on motorways for the lorry EV's.
As to that, you have to take into account that drivers don't generally load the lorries & are at the mercy of the efficiency of the various warehouses & load-points when it comes to the time they start their journeys.

And l think by the time electrification is controlling the trucks ('if' being the operative word IMO), I'll likely be out of the game anyway.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2022, 09:53   #75
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
The only possible response to that is ... Leave a little earlier!
Can that wisdom be applied to car drivers as well Maninder, when they have to reduce speed for a lorry?

Simon
Old 15th January 2022, 10:05   #76
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Can that wisdom be applied to car drivers as well Maninder, when they have to reduce speed for a lorry?

Simon
No Simon. The lorry is causing an obstruction, blocking traffic for an extended period of time whereas the car drivers are the affected party.

Just to reiterate, I am not only critical of lorry driver. When the revolution comes and the list is drawn up for the order in which to send road users to the education/correction facilities, the order will be:

1. Cyclists

2. Car drivers/motorcyclists

3. Van drivers

4. Lorry drivers

This is despite myself belonging to the first 2 groups. But some lorry drivers may move up the list if they are found to be defending or sympathetic towards the practice being discussed. We can not defend the indefensible.
Old 15th January 2022, 10:29   #77
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
The lorry is causing an obstruction ...
Chill Maninder, chill.

Sacrificing a few minutes on a journey is not important. Losing your partner or your own good health is.

Simon
Old 15th January 2022, 10:33   #78
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Chill Maninder, chill.

Sacrificing a few minutes on a journey is not important. Losing your partner or your own good health is.

Simon

But those few minutes could make the difference between meeting a neanderthal cyclist going through red lights, or not, Simon.
Old 15th January 2022, 10:48   #79
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

The only way to deal with the problem Maninder is to get rid of all human beings except you and me and the world would be perfect(you know it makes sense). Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2022, 10:51   #80
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Quote:
But those few minutes could make the difference between meeting a neanderthal cyclist going through red lights, or not, Simon.
It as come apparent you dont like any road user appart from your self. Is there a medical term for this meglamania.....