Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st October 2022, 21:47   #1
frankgoldstar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conny Saloon

Default Drivers door lock - progress ish...

Essentially, this is both an update and a plea. If anyone had a non-working drivers door lock I can have, I will pay P+P and a fee, so I have one I can play with a lock off the car. For those who want a laugh at my blundering, or need encouragement to go to sleep, please read on... Further to my posts asking for wire colours to test the locks, with no real way of testing off the car I carried on reward less. I found both the locks I had been sold were not drivers door locks. I had never seen one and got very confused (as the guy who sold them to me must have been - he thought one was drivers and other was passenger) and looking at all the photos I had found online, I missed the differences.
Not a problem though, as I confirmed I had at least one good working passenger lock and had learned how to take the things apart and put them together ok. In the case of the passenger lock that is. I then took the drivers door lock out and as expected, the unlock motor was pretty much toast. I did manage to get a spin out of it to test the rotation before putting in the new motor I got from China for £5 ish. The old Johnson motor was washed out with solvent and dried and gave a spin when tested with 12VDC. The new motor was an exact fit and spun the same direction when tested with the same polarity 12VDC. I put the lock back together and it seemed to work fine dangling outside the door, so I refitted it. Madness. It locks when the other doors unlock and vice versa. As it also reckons I am trying to break in, I think I have somehow got one of the microswitches operating in reverse, or one of the mechanical parts the motor operates, 180 degrees out. Hence my plea for a spare non-working lock. Doing the motor change on the locks is not as difficult as just getting the door cards back on, so I would prefer to check the states of the microswitches off the car etc. if I manage to sort it out, I will post the correct motor details and the seller etc, plus a simple handy tool to flip that pesky door handle operating rod nylon clip open inside the door without pain. Best, Frank B
frankgoldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2022, 14:57   #2
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgoldstar View Post
Essentially, this is both an update and a plea. If anyone had a non-working drivers door lock I can have, I will pay P+P and a fee, so I have one I can play with a lock off the car. For those who want a laugh at my blundering, or need encouragement to go to sleep, please read on... Further to my posts asking for wire colours to test the locks, with no real way of testing off the car I carried on reward less. I found both the locks I had been sold were not drivers door locks. I had never seen one and got very confused (as the guy who sold them to me must have been - he thought one was drivers and other was passenger) and looking at all the photos I had found online, I missed the differences.
Not a problem though, as I confirmed I had at least one good working passenger lock and had learned how to take the things apart and put them together ok. In the case of the passenger lock that is. I then took the drivers door lock out and as expected, the unlock motor was pretty much toast. I did manage to get a spin out of it to test the rotation before putting in the new motor I got from China for £5 ish. The old Johnson motor was washed out with solvent and dried and gave a spin when tested with 12VDC. The new motor was an exact fit and spun the same direction when tested with the same polarity 12VDC. I put the lock back together and it seemed to work fine dangling outside the door, so I refitted it. Madness. It locks when the other doors unlock and vice versa. As it also reckons I am trying to break in, I think I have somehow got one of the microswitches operating in reverse, or one of the mechanical parts the motor operates, 180 degrees out. Hence my plea for a spare non-working lock. Doing the motor change on the locks is not as difficult as just getting the door cards back on, so I would prefer to check the states of the microswitches off the car etc. if I manage to sort it out, I will post the correct motor details and the seller etc, plus a simple handy tool to flip that pesky door handle operating rod nylon clip open inside the door without pain. Best, Frank B
Hi, It might be more helpful to post some photographic details of the work you have carried out during your investigations, this way those reading the post might be able to relate to your description of events more positively.
This in turn might jolt memories .
Referring to things like micro switches, without a photo to show where these are located does not help visualize the problem, similarly, fuses, motors etc....
Anyway I hope you can successfully sort the problem out soon.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2022, 16:04   #3
Matt_75
Gets stuck in

75 Saloon

Hi Frank, I have non-functioning driver's door lock mechanism you can have. I took it off the car when it stopped unlocking with the remote (locking still worked). It is partially disassembled though and a number of clips are broken, but I didn't mess with electronics. I started to attempt a repair as you've done but gave up and ended up buying a replacement instead. Anyway, if you want it you can have it for the cost of postage, I don't want anything for the mechanism itself.
Cheers, Matt
Matt_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2022, 17:07   #4
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Mat,

If Frank does not take up your offer, I have a use for it. I have advertised on here as an item wanted but no replies.

K
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2022, 11:21   #5
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

I have been trying to PM you over the last 3 days but messages won’t go, get lost, and I have to re-log to get back into the forum even though I am still logged in. But I have managed to PM the moderator Fusillier with this problem that I have seen other members are have had trouble with in the past.
Please PM me with your phone number. I live in Manchester, near the M60 and have a working loom and lock.
GeoffWW

Last edited by GeoffWW; 4th November 2022 at 18:46..
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote